Dobyns Rod For pitching Jigs and Plastics

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TylerP859
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Dobyns Rod For pitching Jigs and Plastics

Post by TylerP859 » Mon May 21, 2012 1:35 pm

I am wanting a good bottom bouncing rod for pitching jigs and plastics 5/16- 1oz for light-moderate cover. I am initially thinking of going with a Dobyns Champion 704c but am wondering if I need more or less of a rod power wise. I own a Coalition 703c and I love it but it seems to be on the lighter side of a medium heavy rod and more suitable as a worming rod or light jig rod. I was wondering if the step up to a Champion 704c would be a drastic step up in power as I have not got to handle this particular model in person. I wanted to know if anyone here had much experience with a 704c in the Champion line-up and what they like to use them for. I am going to be using mostly 15-17lb fc for pitching and again i am in almost no vegetation and slight to moderate wood cover lakes. To put the question in a nut shell, is the 704c the right choice or do I just need to stick with a MH power Dobyns Champion, because i feel the MH coalition I have is not strong enough for the type situations I am describing but worry the Heavy action 704c might be overkill, thanks for any help guys and God bless
-T.P. :D

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Dobyns Rod For pitching Jigs and Plastics

Post by even26 » Mon May 21, 2012 3:05 pm

if you can, I'd look at the extreme series in a 4 power based on your criteria

TylerP859
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TylerP859 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:16 pm

how does the champion series stack up? I have a 795 mlsb and am very impressed with it. The Extreme is slightly more than i wanna pay for a rod. i am also waiting on the next sale TW puts out so i can save some money. Is the extreme lighter and more sensitive? is it worth the extra cash? also will a 4 power champion be the right choice if i dont go with a dx 4 power?

even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by even26 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:23 pm

you might want to check out your local dobyns retailer and ask about the demo program. For contact baits, the extreme series is the way to go.

Sledgehammer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sledgehammer » Tue May 22, 2012 5:02 am

The 704 sounds like it would make a good rod for what your looking for. I had a 704 and thats pretty much what i used it for and i have a 705 for when im in heavier cover. The extremes are amazing but the champion rod is great for the money

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:55 am

for pitching plastics look at the champ 735..Its a GREAT jig and pitching beaver or fork flipper rod..
I think 1oz will be pushing the 704 as I use my 735s with a 3/16-1/4oz TG weight, Pro flip hook and either the beaver or the Flipper and it does a fantastic job..IMO you dont need the DX for that close of quarters since your combat fishing. 8-)
I used my 735 over the weekend to win my tourney and you can feel plenty with that heavy of a bait on the end.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

TylerP859
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by TylerP859 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:01 pm

thanks guys i appreciate it. I would like to go for a dx but i think i am just gonna go with a champ series. I do know that i am very impressed with the champion series and will probably try an extreme in the near future when i get the chance.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue May 22, 2012 9:08 pm

I agree with Nitroman77. I think using 1oz lures on the 704C will be pushing it. I'd move up to the 735C. I'd also agree that you don't 'need' to move up to the DX745.....but it sure is nice. :D

Seriously though, the 735 is great for pitching plastics & jigs. It is what I used to use when I needed a more powerful rod than a 4 power stick.