Sell me on the Phenix Recon please

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Sell me on the Phenix Recon please

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:38 pm

JDM like styling, easy on the eyes, but why should I purchase this rod? Why should I purchase this stick opposed to a Kistler Helium, St. Croix Avid, Powell Endurance, or a Falcon Cara? I really want to pull the trigger, but feel like I need to be sold on this product for some reason. Likely because I can't hold one locally, and what better place to be told and sold than here!

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Sell me on the Phenix Recon please

Post by robchik04 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:59 am

Different strokes for different folks. The reasons why one person might like a Recon might be the reasons why you dont like it. There have been numerous posts here regarding what some guys love and some dont, and why some have converted to Recons 100% and why some might not buy one at all.

I like the style, balance, feel, sensitivity, and price. The only one I've broken is one that was stepped on. Otherwise, no problems with the rods. I also like the slower tapers, personally. They seem more true to me. I was never a big fan of the "extra fast" tip many companies use. The recons have also opened my eyes to other models. Like the MBX Series.

That's just why i like them. Not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread, but they work the best for me and what i look for in rods.
robchik.com

ThatKidCash
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ThatKidCash » Sat May 12, 2012 1:44 pm

I love mine and am switching over completely from the Dobyns Savvy Series. My only problem is that I have the UMBX and I can never seem to put it down. When I do, I pick up a couple of my Recons before I pick up my Dobyns.

I'm also one of those guys who almost always bounces his fish in the boat, I have yet to have any Recon snap on me for any reason.

I also took my girlfriend fishing for the first time and she put the Dobyns down and only fished the Recon because she (first timer) said it felt a lot better in her hands and when she got bit, she can feel it a lot easier. That pretty much sold me on getting more haha.

With whatever you choose, choose it because you love it. If you aren't completely stoked on something, wait til you find something you really enjoy.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat May 12, 2012 9:05 pm

i took my recon 795 out last week along with my 8' steez. the steez has been my favorite since i first got it. i can't say that the recon is going to surpass the steez but, for a rod less than one third the cost of the steez, i'd buy more recons instead. it really gave the steez a run for the money.

that being said, i have three other steez rods and have been really, really tempted to sell them and replace them with recons or other phenix rods.

set_da_hook
Angler
Angler

Post by set_da_hook » Sun May 13, 2012 2:26 am

What I like about my Recons
Price wise they are as good as some rods that cost much much more. Great looks. Really light weight feels great to fish with all day long. I love the small trigger they use on the real seat/grip, super comfortable for different hand positions. Very sensitive blank, can feel every little tap. I fish my Recons more than I do my UMBX rods now. The only thing I can't stand about the rods are the hook keepers. The position and type of keeper Phenix choose just plain sucks. Other than that one gripe I couldn't be happier with mine.

keane_a
Angler
Angler

Post by keane_a » Sat May 19, 2012 9:27 pm

I have been a dedicated Powell guy for some time now, and I still am. I bought a 744 and have found it to be more sensitive than my Endurance rod. I also like the fast action, not any more than extra fast though. But after a full day of fishing, an extra fast rod feels much stiffer by end of day. I can say this, today I felt a fish pick up my lizard, softly mouth it and then put it back down. I have only had that feeling with a Cumara. Ironically, I still can't figure out why I didn't set the hook.........lol. Hope that helps.

jmatsuoka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmatsuoka » Sun May 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Recons are lightweight they look awesome, but most importantly they function absolutely IMPRESSIVE. I have fished powells, loomis, dobyns, St. Croix, Shimano...They are all awesome but i felt a few had to be tweaked here and there. Phenix has done an awesome job they're well balanced, extremely sensitive, i haven't broken one yet and i have stepped on a couple of mine by accident and my g/f rammed a couple of the tip into the side of the house a couple of times. While i don't advise this type of beating for any fishing rod I'm going to go out on a limb and say pretty durable for the most part. More importantly for some of us the price point they are very reasonably priced. You don't need any of us to sell you on a RECON. Buy one and take it fishing the rod will make you wish you had a full set. Don't forget Phenix Rods has an excellent Warranty Program so if anything catastrophic happens, chances are they can help you out. Just my 2 cents. :) let me know which Recon sold you! :D