Crankbait Casting Rod / hook ups

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Crankbait Casting Rod / hook ups

Post by Marcos82 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:43 pm

I was always a spinning crankbait fisherman but around one year ago I started using casting reels and rods. I read a lot about casting rods and I found out that crankbait fisherman prefer glass rods because they are not so stiff. This absorves the violent vibration of a deep running crankbait and helps to not loose so many fish, hooked by treble hooks.

I would like to know why exactly a stiffer rod can make use loose more fish using bait with treble hooks than with baits with single hooks?

I personally use an Abu Garcia Vendetta casting rod. Does someone recommend another rod for crankbait fishing?

Thanks a lot!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Crankbait Casting Rod / hook ups

Post by smalljaw » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Imagine you are fishing and you make a cast that ends up on a tree branch that is pretty stiff. You pull at it and either the line breaks or the lure pops free, now imagine the same thing only the tree branch you hook is limber, now you pull on the line and now the limb actually gives so, now you don't break the line and the lure doesn't pop free. That analogy visually make it easier than trying to explain but when using a fast action rod there is only a little bit of flex until you get to the backbone of the rod of if you are already at the backbone of the rod and the fish you have hooked makes a surge something has got to give. Most of the time that happens the lure pulls out and you lose the fish.
Barlow's Tackle

Marcos82
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Marcos82 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I understand what you mean. But what I dont understand is why we usually apply or talk about this only for crankbait fishing and treble hooks. I know that with other techniques we needs stiffer rod for better sensitivity, but wouldnt this apply for all kinds of fishing techniques?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu May 10, 2012 3:16 pm

Marcos82 wrote:I understand what you mean. But what I dont understand is why we usually apply or talk about this only for crankbait fishing and treble hooks. I know that with other techniques we needs stiffer rod for better sensitivity, but wouldnt this apply for all kinds of fishing techniques?
Take a look at the treble hooks on your crankbaits. Now take a look at the average size hook you use for a 5" senko or what you use for a creature bait. Popper I just bought has thin wire size 6 trebles. I use a 4/0 Gami for the senko. I usually use a 4/0 heavy straight shank hook for the creature bait. The bigger hooks definitely grab or hook more fish. With the popper, sometimes all you get is a skin hooked fish.

As far as the sensitivity, lots of people contend that you don't need it for fishing crankbaits. Graphite crankbait rods usually will give you more feedback. Today's modern graphite crankbait rods are made with moderate or moderate/fast actions. I personally don't feel like I need to use a glass stick to land the fish.

IMO, it is important to match the rod power to the lure (& treble hook) size. As an example, if you tried to use a rod designed for fishing heavy deep diving crankbaits (usually 3/4oz - 1oz with big, strong hooks) for a 3/16 popper, you're asking to loose pretty much every fish. It won't be the best rod for casting that light lure because it was designed for the bigger, heavier ones. It will be too powerful for the small size, light wire hooks that typically come on poppers. In that example, even though you are using a rod 'designed' for cranking, it won't work well.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 pm

I personally have applied this to my regular fishing (bottom contact baits). My current arsenal incorporates PHenix Recons, which have a much slower action than many of the more popular rods sold. I even incorporate a 'reel' set. I typically crank down until i feel the fish and then 'pull' not swing back to firmly set the hook. The only time a rear back and give it to the fish is when i punch or flip.

My cranking rod is a Phenix x Series rod. Primarily the X-11 and x-13. They are fiberglass/graphite composite rods. They have a super soft FG glass tip and graphite back bone. Best of both worlds, i think. All my hook sets feel positive, compared to before when using 100% graphite or S Glass blanks.
robchik.com

Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Str8upirish » Thu May 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I agree with Rob. I like the X series from Phenix the softer action works well with my hook set. I tend to sweep to hard and the softer tip keeps me from ripping the trebles out of the fish. I have 2 x-10 one for throwing a rip bait and the other for my LV 500. And a x-13 for throwing my DD22 and Basstars.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri May 11, 2012 10:28 am

The treble hooks on crankbaits are smaller wire than some other lures, such as jigs, worms, and spinnerbaits. These small hooks and smaller barbs can tear out or fall out of a fishes' mouth easier.

The fiberglass rod is softer than graphite and helps prevent early release. It's like the difference between a Porche and a Cadillac - the Cadillac will give you a softer ride because it's heavier.