Recoil guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Recoil guides

Post by WoodT » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:37 pm

jeb wrote:I've been fishing braid on one of my Loomis GLX's the last couple of days for topwater. First time I'd put braid on a full recoil rod. There is no extra noise at all. It is Spiderwire 50lb. Is it only certain braids that make all the noise the recoils supposedly make? I have a reel loaded with 65lb Suffix 832. I'll have to give it a try one of these days...
As some one pointed out to me once...be aware of noise generated from your reel's line guide in addition to the rod guides. This can add considerable noise and vibration. For me, a conquest 50 feels like hell on an NRX; a Steez, Core, etc. do not.

Yes, certain braids (smoother, smaller ones) will be quieter through rod and reel guides. Spiderwire 50lb probably wouldn't have been my guess for a quiet one.

I like my rec guides on my new NRXs \:D/ ; I have had no issues casting an Alberto knot (30lb 832 on up to a 25lb flouro leader) through them. For some reason I like the smaller mass sitting up there in those rec guides. Probably mostly psychological but it feels pretty zen to me. Seems to enable some type of weird focus I only got licking frogs in college. This is not in the standard G Loomis marketing material.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Does anybody have any issues with the recoil guides on the legend extreme spinning rods. Specifically the 69 mlxf when using 10/2 pp/super 8 pp? Noisey? Dig?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:43 am

iabass8 wrote:Does anybody have any issues with the recoil guides on the legend extreme spinning rods. Specifically the 69 mlxf when using 10/2 pp/super 8 pp? Noisey? Dig?
I own a few Legend Extreme casting rods. They are more noisy vs my Zillion rods using 65lbs Power Pro braid. I haven't tried any other type of braid as I mainly use Power Pro. But definitely louder with recoil guides.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nickk » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:23 am

I only have one rod with Recoils(GLX) and Suffix braid only makes significant noise when fighting a fish. Because of that, I love that sound! :D

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:43 am

I should also state that from using 65lbs Braid and then using 20lbs - 30lbs braid, the noise level of the thicker braid is also louder than the thinner braid.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 am

Use of recoil guides has been one of the biggest influences for me to go custom. Theres so many rods on the market I like, but why have those garbage guides on them? I'll just buy the blank and wrap some Alconites or SiC's on it. I am weary of using them on the fly rod I'm about to build! :lol:
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:11 pm

iabass8 wrote:Does anybody have any issues with the recoil guides on the legend extreme spinning rods. Specifically the 69 mlxf when using 10/2 pp/super 8 pp? Noisey? Dig?
I own that rod and have fished Tatsu fluoro, Suffix 832 (10lb), Berkely Crystal (10lb) and now the new Seaguar braid. The Berkely is the noisiest but it wasn't a real problem for me. The 832 is nearly as silent as the fluoro. I haven't had an issue and I've fished the rod hard for a full season. I like braid with a flouro leader 99% of the time - no problems casting the knot.

I've also got recoils on a couple heavy fly rods with no complaints.

Joe C.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

fishinjim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishinjim » Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 pm

Diggin up an old one here.
Remembered this thread as I was spooling up a couple spinning rods tonight (haven't used a spinning rod yet this year).
Thought something felt and sounded a little funny as the line was going on the first one.
Did a guide inspection and can hardly believe that I didn't break off more fish than I did with these rods last year.
Really can not believe that I didn't notice this before too.

Two rods. Both Fenwick Elite Tech drop shot spinning rods. Both with around two seasons of use. Both with multiple groves throughout the, yep, recoil guides.

Sorry about the blurry picture. It was the best out of a dozen attempts...

Guide pictured is the worst for wear. About 10 grooves in it. Tips are the worst on both rods, but one or two of the other guides on both rods also show some grooving.

4-8lb flouro or mono is all I've ever used on these rods.

Love these rods enough that I'll probably end up going ahead and replacing the guides with some SICs, but I don't think I'll be buying any more rods with recoils on them.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed May 23, 2012 3:32 am

Interesting. This made me go look at a couple of my long term Loomis GLX recoil rods. The tip top guide on them is the only one that is not a recoil guide. And there is absolutely no wear on any of the guides. They've gotten a ton of use over the years, too. Running mostly 12# FC, but have had 832 Suffix on one for about 6 months now.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed May 23, 2012 7:22 am

I've not seen a regular fishing rod that had a recoil for a tip. Certainly a design flaw from the outset IMO. :-k
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><