Bass/Inshore Rod Recommendation

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
graveyardisland
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Bass/Inshore Rod Recommendation

Post by graveyardisland » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:06 pm

As a newbie to the forum looking for suggestions:
South La. fishing for bass and reds/specs on same trip

Wife's reels: Daiwa Zillion Coastal
My reels: Calcutta TE 200

Budget: $200 max/each
Prefer: Made in USA

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Bass/Inshore Rod Recommendation

Post by JDLaman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm your neighbor over here on the upper Texas gulf coast and spend most of my time chasing Reds and Specs up and down the coast. A great all around rod for Bass/Inshore fishing Is the Loomis MBR 782. I own the GLX version but the IMX is great too. You should be able to find an IMX on sale or used that meets your budget requirements.

Another outstanding rod for Bass/Inshore that is slightly lighter in power than the 782 is the 6'3" Medium Shimano Cumara Reaction casting rod. This rod is within your budget and is a great topwater and light plastics rod.

Let us know what you pick.

wnyBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wnyBob » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:41 am

You could also take a look at the Shimano Southeast Teramar and the St. Croix Avid Inshore. Both have excellent reviews. The Teramar comes in way under your budget and the St. Croix Avid a few bucks over. I was looking for one last winter and got it down to those two. The money wasn't close but the reviews seemed to be. I ulimately got the Avid Inshore and it's a great rod. Pleased with my choice. It meets your criteria of made in the USA and it's a few ounces lighter than the Teramar and some other competition. I use spinnning and went out and found the discontinued Shimano Stradic FI 3000 before they got all bought up to put on it. Nice for med tackle inshore tidal creek and marsh fishing. and it would make a nice Bass outfit.

graveyardisland
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by graveyardisland » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:47 am

Guys...Thanks for your response.

JD..The Gloomis is a 6"6" length.
Rightly or wrongly I was thinking a longer rod would help my wife
in casting distance and leverage for reds.
Am I wrong?

Bob..Your St Croix recommendation interests me.
Question... they have Avid inshore and Avid freshwater.
Their website has a hell of a deal on the freshwater rods
AVID CASTING - AVC76MHXF for $154.00
Would this be a consideration?

Thanks again

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:03 am

Yes the freshwater rods will hold up fine for inshore duties as well, I use freshwater rods here in GA for reds and specs. The avids are excellent rods, and the 7'6" will definitely get you more casting distance. Here, the preferred length tends to be about 7'-7'6". I think that MH will match up pretty well with both reels mentioned.

IMO, the Teramar is a good rod, but as stated, a little heavier and stiffer than I would like to use. In that price range, the new crucials are worth a look, the avids are good rods, and, if you can find them, last years LTB's from St. Croix make excellent inshore rods as well, and come in around $180-$200, again, IF you can find them.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:44 am

The Loomis is 6' 6" but I have had no problem with casting distance or horseing in big Reds with that rod. I normally fish a topwater on my 782 so the 6' 6" length is a good compromise between casting distance and ease of working a topwater with a tip down motion. Plus, most of my fishing takes place in marsh areas, bayous and duck ponds that are very tight. A 7' rod would be difficult to cast in such tight areas.

If I was only fishing plastics in an open water area, then I would definitely go to a 7' rod. My go to rod for plastics is a Dobyns DX701C. It is out of your price range and not made in the USA. It is also very light on power, but I have had no problem catching Reds in the 30" to 39" range on that rod.

Facelessnewsouth has also made an excellent recommendation in the St. Croix Avid line. One of my fishing buddies uses a St. Croix Avid 6'6" ML casting rod and does quite well with that rod. It is a quality rod that is US made and definitely within your budget.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

graveyardisland
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by graveyardisland » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:58 am

Face/JD

I'm checking out the St Croix per both recommendations

JD..One note, my wife has cost me 15-20 crank baits squirrel hunting in trees while bass fishing.

At least in our saltwater fishing all she can do is wrap it around the rig platform.

Not sure thats much better but the baits are cheaper :lol: :lol:

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 am

I understand squirrel hunting while bass fishing. ;) My wife was out with me one time and launched a $20.00 Rio Rico about 40' up into a tree. I had caught many fish on that lure and thought about scaling the tree to retrieve it. I took a few deep breaths, told her it was no big deal and then came to my senses and retied a Pop-R on for her.

Let us know how the Avid works out for you.

graveyardisland
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by graveyardisland » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:39 am

Guys

Tough choice but I decided to get my wife the Legend Tourney (LBT) over the Avids.
Like a dummy I showed them to her on line and she thought the blue rod was "prettier".
Go figure.

Got her a 6'6" and a 7" with the same action that way she can get use to the "feel"
of her new rods, and keep my baits in the water and not in trees.

Haven't made up my mind for myself...so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your input

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:55 am

My first quality rod was an early Kistler 7" Medium popping rod for inshore. It also works great for lipless crankbaits for LMB. I have really got my money's worth out of this great rod!
TB

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm

You could spend slightly more and get a low down custom rod
They are amazing for the money.
LDC even has a pre-made format to check out. For split duties like what you mentioned - I dont think you can beat them

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 pm

What about a Phenix Recon 764 and 744? Should be great rods for the type of fishing you'll be doing!
robchik.com