best loomis shakyhead rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishin in the dark
Angler
Angler

best loomis shakyhead rod

Post by fishin in the dark » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Looking for the best Loomis Shakeyhead rod. I've read alot of posts but none has quite answered what I'm looking for.

I only want to use the rod to throw a 3/32 -1/8 shakyhead or in the fall i smallmouth fish alot and i throw a grub 1/8 and i mostly fish less than 35 feet of water. What I'm looking for is the lightest rod i can find, but not too soft. Here's the rod's I'm considering:

NRX 822S SYR Shakyhead
SHR 821S
SHR 822S GLX

Price really don't matter since i fish this alot. I'm kind of leaning towards the 821S, but is it alot softer than the NRX 822S SYR. I've never felt of the NRX but I felt of the 821S....

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: best loomis shakyhead rod

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:01 am

I have owned all three and fished all three, my vote goes to the NRX 822S SYR hands down. The 821s is pretty soft, but it would work for what you want to do, but the NRX is significantly more crisp and sensitive in my hands. Because I fish lighter FC line for this technique most of the time, the GLX version with the larger recoil guides actually did annoy me a little bit. I'm generally a fan of them, but Loomis did the right thing by adding the SiC guides leading up to the smaller recoils on the NRX series - especially on the spinning rods.

The NRX is slightly softer than the GLX version in my hands and is awesome, awesome, awesome 8-) Hope this helps!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: best loomis shakyhead rod

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:55 am

Agree with everything posted. the 821 is now a deep water crappie stick for me. The 822GLX I sold because I couldn't stand the recoil guides. The 822SYR I now have two, one of which was ferruled into a 2 piece for a travel stick. It is awesome.