NEED A NEW JIG ROD HELP!!!!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bcorral
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

NEED A NEW JIG ROD HELP!!!!

Post by bcorral » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:25 am

Hey guys I'm new to the forum but it seems like the guys on here are well informed. I work at a tackle shop and fish bf's local tournaments etc. Im trying to find a new jig rod I'm not really pleased with the one I have now so I sold it any advice?? Im fairly partial to gloomis glx and nrx series but I've noticed that megabass usa has some awesome rods available so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!!

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NEED A NEW JIG ROD HELP!!!!

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:50 am

If you like the MB rods Orochi F6 Destruction is great. I'm also partial to the BCR series of GLX rods from Loomis. 864 for heavier cover, 803 or 853 perform very well in more open situations, but can handle moderate cover also.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

bcorral
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bcorral » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:57 am

I haven't personally tried a megabass rod but everything I'm reading makes them sound like the best thing since sliced bread lol. I'm very tempted to just buy the destruction and see how it goes but then again I've gotten burned many times buying other rods and always end up going back to my faithful glx's.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 am

bcorral wrote:I haven't personally tried a megabass rod but everything I'm reading makes them sound like the best thing since sliced bread lol. I'm very tempted to just buy the destruction and see how it goes but then again I've gotten burned many times buying other rods and always end up going back to my faithful glx's.
If you haven't read the review, please do so. I bought mine based on it and am very pleased with the purchase. The rod is pretty amazing. I don't believe I've heard a negative comment or review on the Destruction. It's fishes great for bottom contact baits.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbx4destruction.html
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Megabass rods are awesome. What kind of jigs are you fishing? Around what type of cover? Line size you'll be using?

If u are partial to loomis, The GLXMBR844c was one of my all time favorite rods... right now i'm using a Phenix Recon 715c. It's pretty bad ass. A crazy Megabass Jig Rod is the Super Destroyer. It is a power house. It really all depends on your style of fishing.
robchik.com

bcorral
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bcorral » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks a lot for the insight guys, and basically I'm fishing on Lake Lanier deep water main lake structure brush piles etc. So I need a rod with enough ass to drive one home in deep water but also be able to stick one up shallow and drag it in like right now when they're on bed I really need a powerful sensitive all around jig rod.

set_da_hook
Angler
Angler

Post by set_da_hook » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:31 pm

I am loving my Phenix Recon C715. Great rod at a great price.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:08 pm

robchik04 wrote:Megabass rods are awesome. What kind of jigs are you fishing? Around what type of cover? Line size you'll be using?

If u are partial to loomis, The GLXMBR844c was one of my all time favorite rods... right now i'm using a Phenix Recon 715c. It's pretty bad ass. A crazy Megabass Jig Rod is the Super Destroyer. It is a power house. It really all depends on your style of fishing.
you like your recon, rob, but i fished my 715 k2 last weekend and it was out of this world for jigs!!!

MY recommendation would be to have a k2 715 blank custom wrapped for your jig rod, bcorral. the rod is very similar to the glx 844. a little slower in action but, i think, more sensitive.

-perry-

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 am

The Dobyns DX784ML is a great jig rod for deeper water, but the MBR844 GLX is really hard to beat for a standard all around jig rod. I've caught them shallow, deep, you name it with that rod. Not as great as the 784 in deeper water though.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:58 am

ogrich31 wrote:The Dobyns DX784ML is a great jig rod for deeper water, but the MBR844 GLX is really hard to beat for a standard all around jig rod. I've caught them shallow, deep, you name it with that rod. Not as great as the 784 in deeper water though.
the mbr844glx is a classic. i'm kinda disappointed in myself that i sold mine. on the other hand, it would probably just sit on the rack these days cuz i would fish my phenix k2 or my steez more anyway.

still, it would be nice to have back. that rod caught a lot of fish.

-perry-

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:14 am

Dobyns champion extreme 745

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:53 am

I'm also a big fan of the GLX and NRX rods... I've had the opportunity to fish most of the new X4 lineup at this point, so if you have any questions about them, feel free to send me a PM. I agree with USA-RET - the Destruction is a sweet rod among many sweet rods in that series. It's nice that they now offer a 3 year warranty on these now 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Kistler Zbone LE 7'6" five power is my go to jig rod. If you like GLX rods, I think you would like the blank. It isn't as beautifully crafted as my Megabass X4 but what non JDM rod is. I don't have the Destruction but sure would love to try one out. You can't go wrong with a Zbone, Megabass, or GLX. Tough choice.

Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Str8upirish » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:13 pm

I use my Phenix UMBX-703XH for fishing Jigs it has the back bone to drive a hook home. I use it also for throwing my frog on mats and grass.

MikeLT
Angler
Angler

Post by MikeLT » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:22 pm

The DX784ml in the Dobyns line is in my opinion unbeatable for deep jig fishing. I own a few just for that purpose. Another GREAT all around open water jig stick is the DX 704. Depending on what you are looking to spend you can also go with the 704c in the champion series they are very sensitive and well balanced, I jigged with them for a while before I could afford to upgrade and had no complaints at all.