Shimano Cumulus

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Shimano Cumulus

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Just got the 7'1" MH version of this rod and all I can say right now is wow this thing is light. I have put my T3 Ballistic on it and will be taking it out in the morning to put it thru its paces. Good looking rod, super light...I can only hope the sensitivity is up there with Dobyns extremes.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

jbsoonerfan
Angler
Angler

Re: Shimano Cumulus

Post by jbsoonerfan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:32 pm

I almost pulled the trigger on one, but just couldn't find enough reviews of them. Let us know how it fishes.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:42 pm

I have the 7'1"MH Cumulus as well - I haven't fished the Ballistic on it, but have fished the T3 1016SHL as well as the Core 51MG7 on it - both are a lot of fun on that rod. I like the 51MG7 on there personally as my T3 has another home! I think you'll be very impressed with the sensitivity of the Cumulus - I like it for 3/8 to 1/2 oz. jigs a LOT... let us know what you think after you fish it some! 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:04 pm

In my hands, the 7'1" Cumulus is definitely more sensitive than the DX703.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Almost got an MH and still want to. I do have the 6'5"...the Core 50 on it...can't wait to fish it with the small stuff. Really is a great setup and I totally dig the design.

Some very solid deals on them at that auction site.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Don't those ugly Eva grips bother you guys....? If it had a cork handle, I would be more inclined to pick one up, i just can't stand the way the black foam looks....

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Redfish wrote:Just got the 7'1" MH version of this rod and all I can say right now is wow this thing is light. I have put my T3 Ballistic on it and will be taking it out in the morning to put it thru its paces. Good looking rod, super light...I can only hope the sensitivity is up there with Dobyns extremes.

I have a Core 50MG on mine. Fishes similar to an NRX 853 (maybe a bit more powerful) for $125 less. Feels like a medium power rod but fishes like a MH for sure. Extra Fast tip is excellent for pitching bait, but is no slouch in the casting department (loads quite nicely). Full TiSiC guide set, super sensitive. An overlooked gem of a rod IMO.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:39 pm

Does the rod work good for weightless texas rigging? Seems like the characteristics described in the post above this one would make it the perfect rod for weightless fat ika?

fishinjim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishinjim » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Nytron wrote:Does the rod work good for weightless texas rigging? Seems like the characteristics described in the post above this one would make it the perfect rod for weightless fat ika?
Line and reel may come into play, but I would think you'd be fine throwing an ika with this rod.

Other than a weightless senko or two, I've used this rod almost exclusively with 3/16 shakey heads or worm weights in the four days of use its seen.
Thats with 12lb line on a curado 51e.
With that reel and line, the rod has had no problem with that light of weights.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:49 pm

So I took it out today. Didnt get any big girls, but did manage to get 5 up to about 3 lbs. Was throwing weightless senkos and the rod was awesome. I dont know if it is "better" than my extremes, but it is certainly up there. I may have to get a couple more of these!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:28 am

quantum angler nt wrote:Don't those ugly Eva grips bother you guys....? If it had a cork handle, I would be more inclined to pick one up, i just can't stand the way the black foam looks....
Same, always been a cork guy...I would like to try one, just not sure if I can get over the foam, tbh. Have several Chronarch E's seems like they would match up great otherwise.

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:25 am

I think my aversion to the black eva has to do with my first rod, a rhino spinning rod which featured that material. I guess the foam just seems so cheap after owning a couple loomis rods with cork...

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:18 pm

These grips aren't "mushy," it that is the hesitation. Very firm...moreso than the grips on my F6-72 Orochi and much more than the Zombie I had (though neither of them bothered me). The shaped butt is very ergonomic. I like them. Not sure if they are a different material than the Cumaras I had.