Senko rod: BCR893 GLX v. BCR864 GLX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bassin49er
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Senko rod: BCR893 GLX v. BCR864 GLX

Post by Bassin49er » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Thinking about finally getting a dedicated weightless rod. I fish anywhere from Lake Fork (17+lb test) to Lake Norman (12lb or less). Looking more versital of the two rods and considering that I will toss weightless for the most part. My inclination is to go with the 864 because its rated stronger, but would it still be suitable for a 5 inch senko?

Or do you recommend a different rod?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Senko rod: BCR893 GLX v. BCR864 GLX

Post by USA-RET » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Bassin49er wrote:Thinking about finally getting a dedicated weightless rod. I fish anywhere from Lake Fork (17+lb test) to Lake Norman (12lb or less). Looking more versital of the two rods and considering that I will toss weightless for the most part. My inclination is to go with the 864 because its rated stronger, but would it still be suitable for a 5 inch senko?

Or do you recommend a different rod?
Yes BCR 864 handles 5" Senko fine. I've even thrown 4" Senkos with it with no problems. Excels around heavier cover. Rated for 1/4 ounce on the low side, so 4" Senko with a 3/0 hook puts you right in there. Whats nice is it can go to the 6" and 7" Senko range and T rigs with 10-11 inch worms with no hiccups either. The rod is very versatile.

I do not think you will be disappointed choosing the BCR 864 GLX.

I have the BCR 893 and really like it, but find myself using the 864 because of the heavier cover I fish. Both are super sensitive.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:59 am

how would the 864 do with skinny dippers over hyridalla? What about a 3/8oz spinnerbait thrown into heavy grass?

Was using my MBR844 for both this weekend and it does well but would be even better if slighly longer and slighly more tip.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 am

DavidSA wrote:how would the 864 do with skinny dippers over hyridalla? What about a 3/8oz spinnerbait thrown into heavy grass?

Was using my MBR844 for both this weekend and it does well but would be even better if slighly longer and slighly more tip.
It could give you that little extra you want that the MBR 844 lacked. I can't really compare the two since I do not have the MBR 844. Since both rods are rated as fast, I'm not sure if the 864 has more tip than the 844. Again, without directly comparing, I'm at a loss on that one. Certainly the extra length would help some.

I'm not sure about spinnerbaits since I rarely throw them anymore. With all the weeds, vegetation and wind we have down here, I'm using a skinny dipper on a BCR 803 as my spinnerbait :lol: Finding a longer rod doesn't give me the accuracy I want when throwing around cover. The 803 lets me control my cast due to the shorter length.

If I were buzzing a toad or throwing a skinny dipper over hydrilla, I'd have no compunction about using the BCR 864 for those duties. I just don't have mine set up that way. :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 pm

excellent information, thanks