Dobyns vs. Recon (again?!)

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dobyns vs. Recon (again?!)

Post by dqphysics » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:29 pm

Who doesn't want to argue more over Dobyns vs Recon?

I am looking for a new Pitching and Flipping rod and need serious help. One major problem is I do not know which length or power I should get. Here is what I am currently viewing as my options:

1) Recon 764MH or 766H
2) Dobyns 765Flip or 766Flip
3) Dobyns 735C or 736c

I am looking at Dobyns champions, and there is no way I can buy the Extreme (unless someone wants to let one go for the price of a Champion) but would not be apposed to a Savvy if people believe they are good enough.

I have a Core51 and plan on using no more then 3/4 oz (I don't plan on punching mats). Mostly jigs but will use bullets and plastics.

I am new to flipping and pitching and looking for something I can learn on and have good accuracy. Is it better to have the shorter (7'3") for this or is better for the longer ones (7'6"). I have both Dobyns and Phenix rods and happy with both brands, but having a hard time deciding.

Thank you in advance.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Dobyns vs. Recon (again?!)

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I would go with the Champion 1st, but I would certainly get the Recon over the Savvy.

mnbassman23
Angler
Angler

Post by mnbassman23 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:36 pm

I can't speak on comparing each brands because I only have a Recon and its not in the length listed. In general, I like pitching with a 7-7'3" rod in a 4 or 5 power depending on lure weight. On the other hand if I was going to do a lot of flipping (which I don't) I would for sure get a 7'6" or longer in a 5-6 power. Some people pitch equally well with a 7'6 and have no issues with accuracy. IMO if you keep it between 3/8-3/4 than a 5 power would be about right, depending on what kind of cover your fishing. I'm sure someone will chime in on comparing which one would suit you best for the specific rods listed. Good luck!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:34 pm

First off, for the weights you're talking about using, I'd suggest looking at either the 735 or 765. (The 736/766 are just 'beast' sticks.) The 735 & 765 have two very different actions. With the 735 being slightly shorter & an xfast action, it take more of a short roll the wrist type of action. I find that the 765 requires more of a overall arm type movement. (BTW, I'm 5'7" on a good day :lol:) I feel that you can be accurate & comfortable with either action once you get used to it.

Two things that I think should be in your decision process are the effects of the different actions on your short line technique & the types/density of cover you'll encounter.

To put it simply, the 765 has a more forgiving action. This could pay dividends for you if you'll be flippin a lot.
Speaking of flippin, the longer rod will be a better tool, because of its length, giving you better hooksets & more landed fish.

As I already mentioned, my opinion is that with practice, you'll pitch easily & accurately with either length. Lets take a look at the effect rod length has on fishing some weedbeds or tullies. Lets say you need to hit a hole 12' from the boat. With both rods, this will result in a pitch. Just for grins, lets say the fish takes the bait on the fall & starts to move off. The longer rod will give you a better line angle AND move more line on the hookset.

If it was me, I'd get the 765.

I still haven't held a Recon so I couldn't give you an opinion on them. Every time I plan on making the trek to a store that carries them, plans get derailed. Maybe I'll swing by Walton's Pond on the way home from work Wed.....

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:20 pm

i have rods in 7' to 8'. i am SHORT, as in 5/2" (so you're a giant compared to me, civic) but i generally use rods from 7'9 (the recon) to 7'10" (a zombie) to two 8 footers (a steez and a dobyns) for almost all of my flipping and, for sure, for my punching. i also use these rods a lot for pitching.

the first time my 6'4" buddy saw me with the 8' steez (still my favorite rod), he laughed and said that there was no way i could fish that thing. proved him waaaaaaaaay wrong! :big grin: :big grin:

-perry-

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:39 am

civicrr wrote:First off, for the weights you're talking about using, I'd suggest looking at either the 735 or 765. (The 736/766 are just 'beast' sticks.)
Agreed
http://RichLindgren.com

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:16 pm

The price points are pretty varied... The best thing is to hold them, mount your Core and decide based on your need and fishing. I have a 796 and feel like that rod is the business when flipping. I also have a 764 that I LOVE as a senko rod. I will pitch with it on stuff under 1/2 ounce. If u go Recon, Consider an 804 or the 6 power rods. they are nicely balanced and should be stellar.

The dobyns rods, i am less familiar, but do know you can't go wrong with those either. Bes tof luck in your search
robchik.com

Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Str8upirish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:33 pm

Like rob I also have the Recon 796 and its made for flipping heavy baits or punching. I also have a 744 that I use for pitching Senkos and some jigs I love it for that. It's a little shorter but much more accurate for pitching in to tule pockets.