Quantum EXO rods, WTD?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Quantum EXO rods, WTD?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 am

One of my local tackle stores has these EXO rods. Upon checking them out they honestly kinda sucked IMO. I looked over 8 sticks very closely. The labels and graphics looked like worn stickers and were crooked. The guides looked cheap, poorly placed, and the epoxy was cracked. I think it was one of the cheapest feeling rods I have ever held. Does Quantum have some serious quality control issues? It seems like Quantum is more about sexiness rather than performance. Whats the deal? Anyone using these sticks? Did my local shop just get a bad batch??

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Quantum EXO rods, WTD?

Post by smalljaw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Seems like a lot of poor craftsmanship is hitting the shelves, St.Croix has the Rage with terrible guide alignment, NRX rods have a myriad of problems, and I've recently heard the Shimano rods at my local BPS has misaligned reel seats.
Barlow's Tackle

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:36 pm

I was at BassPro the other day checking out the Quantum EXO rods and I thought they looked fantastic! I was pretty impressed with the Smoke rods before, but after checking out the EXO I thought they were even better. I don't know how good these rods really are, and I'd like to see some on the water testing. I've never fished a Quantum rod, and I don't really understand what kind of graphite they use or if it's really strong or sensitive, etc.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:19 pm

Simply a sign of the times,I do believe...checked out the exo rods locally about a month ago,the ones I saw looked pitiful as well...lots of that going around,even with some supposedly higher end USDM stuff...and has been the case for a number of years now..the lack of craftsmanship and pride in work goes far beyond just the fishing industry as well....sad state of affairs if you ask me..

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:11 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Simply a sign of the times,I do believe...checked out the exo rods locally about a month ago,the ones I saw looked pitiful as well...lots of that going around,even with some supposedly higher end USDM stuff...and has been the case for a number of years now..the lack of craftsmanship and pride in work goes far beyond just the fishing industry as well....sad state of affairs if you ask me..

I agree but that is what you get when you don't pay actual craftsmen to do the job. Sure, we get lower prices but you also have to look through a lot of rods to find one that is good. Thats why I'm really happy so far with my Fenwicks, everything is right, and I have gone over them with a fine tooth comb.
Barlow's Tackle

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:03 am

Checked out the EXOs at Cabelas the other day and every one of them had multiple bent guides on them. The guides just seemed flimsy. On the other hand, I just bought a new Smoke and love it. Can't find anything remarkably wrong with it.

ThaBasswhisperer
Angler
Angler

Post by ThaBasswhisperer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:17 am

I'm not sure if you had a bad batch or not, I hear allot that quantum has bad quality but i own several quantum rods and reels and i havent had a single problem, I love them. I just got the 7'6 exo for pitching jigs and it's beautiful, I have it paired with a tour edition PT and it's an awesome combo. I'm kind of disappointed that people are having problems with them, IMO they are a great product.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I dont think the micros on the smoke and exo hold straight very long. I am sure being a little crooked/bent is not the end of the world, but I went through every one in a store of a certain size last week and gave up and went with a new Crucial.
I was big on Micros at first, but I am finding I like my conventional guide rods a little more these days, unless its a static bottom contact presentation where there isnt alot of line moving through the guides.
Set hard and set often