Question on Kistler magnesium rods.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Question on Kistler magnesium rods.

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I have an Argon 6'9" AFCB69C that I have used for small crankbaits since 2009. I will be throwing a #5 Shadrap with it tommorrow. It is an outstanding rod. It has a short split grip handle and is great for close in work. My son has an Argon 7 ft worm rod that he uses for almost everything. Both rods are pretty darn light. Why they stopped the Argon series I will never know or understand. They were great rods. Believe me, getting those rods for the prices that they have on ebay is a steal. In 2009 the Argons retailed for $200 plus. My guts tell me that the blanks used to make the Argons were shifted to make the Magnesium rods. My guess is that they are Fenwick.

Warranties have dropped on just about all rod makers. 2008 was a brutal year for the tackle industry and the effects are still being felt. With some of the crappy blanks that Kistler was getting from suppliers something had to be done. I truely believe that Trey did the best he could with what he had available to him at the time. The whole scenerio just happened all at once at a bad time. But heck... Megabass never gave any of us a warranty for years. I would put my $165.00 Kistler flipping stick that I bought in 2007 against an Orochi FX-711X4 any day. Besides, this little $119.00 wonder (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewkistlercrankbait.html) is one of the highest rated rods that I have seen here on TT. Just cause you pay a high price for rod does not mean that you have a good one. I like to see what I buy before I pay for it. Even premium priced rods come with crooked blanks, guides that are not tied on straight or reel seats not put on properly. Remember the review on the "stinger tip?" I do.

Crankbaitmaker

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:59 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:I own 18 Kistler rods. They range from the graphite series in 2007 through the LTX versions. The rods from 2007 and 2008 were really good rods. The blanks were thin and really light. The best flipping stick for the money as far as lightness and toughness was the KFRST76 which is no longer made. I have been using one for 5 yrs. and I have a spare that has never been used with the tags still on it in case my current one breaks. I have a core mgfv on it and it has won me a lot of money. When the 2009 rods were introduced the blanks had changed for all of the different series that they had. From my understanding many of the graphite series of rods were Batson blanks. I do not know who supplied the Magneseum or the LTX blanks. But I do think that the LTA blanks were Batson also. In 2009, from looking at the blanks, they appear to be Fenwick. It is just the way that the blank is wound. I spoke with Billy Kistler and asked him if they were Fenwick blanks, but he would not confirm it. My 2009 7ft MH LTA is just plain heavy. It weighs a ton compared to the 2007 and 2008 blanks. It is tough and it does have Fuji SIC guides on it... but it is heavy. The 2010 LTA came back much lighter. But I don't know who made it.

Kistler was looking at making their own blanks in 2008. They were teaming up with one of the original G.Loomis engineers to make the blanks. But something fell through on that. So they got with Gary when he started Temple to start producing Z Bones. In the beginning Gary sold blanks from his new company. After the Z Bones started the casting blanks were no longer for sale.

I think from several years of dealing with the Kistlers that they are honest, sincere, and hard working folks. They really tried to work with Batson on fixing problems with their reel seats and guide rings. But stuff just didn't shake out. So they had to find other blank makers. This is what caused all of the product change that went on. I have only had a few problems with my Kistlers. One guide that came loose on a rod after 3 yrs of use, and a tip that did not get fully pressed down completely on the blank when it was glued. Over the years I have seen some crooked blanks also. But the new ones seem so much better.

I think that the new Magnesium rods are Fenwick blanks also. But they are thin and light. They hold up very well and Trey is having things inspected much closer now. In my opinion, Kistlers are a good investment for the money.

Crankbaitmaker
The Zbone blanks are North Fork Composite blanks made for Kistler with Gary Loomis. Gary lent his name to Temple Fork Outfitters but did not design there rods or blanks as far as I know. He works for NFC. Although you cannot buy a Zbone blank from NFC, you can buy a NFC blank made by Gary.
As far as Kistlers being a good investment, I do not agree. You can't get 1/2 of what you paid for the rod just 2 years after buying it. I had at one time 15 Kistler rods. I have sold all but 3 of them and took a beating. If you plan on keeping them, they are decent rods especially if you can get them at a discount. The Zbones may have a better resale but I only have one of them and do not intend on selling it.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:15 am

njbasscat wrote:
As far as Kistlers being a good investment, I do not agree. You can't get 1/2 of what you paid for the rod just 2 years after buying it. I had at one time 15 Kistler rods. I have sold all but 3 of them and took a beating. If you plan on keeping them, they are decent rods especially if you can get them at a discount. The Zbones may have a better resale but I only have one of them and do not intend on selling it.
I have to agree, Kistler's (at full price) are just not good "investments" at this time. With so many models popping up on auction sites and wholesaler/discounter sites at half of their original retail cost - the used market for Kistler's is pretty bad. Give it a few more years, assuming Trey has "stabilized" the blank merry go round and that issue will probably go away and fall in line with most other rod companies.

Now I don't really buy based on resale, and don't suggest anyone else to do that either. Just know in advance if you buy a Kistler for $200-250 you might see it at Simmon's, etc. in a few months for $89-149 - it's just the way it is for Kistler right now. And I'm no hater, pretty much my entire kit is made up of Kistler Magnesium, 10+ rods and an Argon. Luckily, I did not pay full retail for any, otherwise I might be bitter. I'd like to try a helium but no way would I buy one new/full price. I also hear nice things about the Zbone line, but to be honest if paying $400 I am going to look at GLX/NRX.

If you want a rod to fish with, a decent entry level enthusiast rod as I like to call them, the Kister Mags are a great choice IMO, esp. when you can pick them up new at $100 or less. I wouldn't buy one at $179, however. Argon's are a step up with better components, but are discontinued. Still, either is a fantastic choice in the $100 price point.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Well 78Staff, I think that you said it best. "The Blank Merry go round". That is just a perfect way to put it. I think that hurt Kistler more than anything. I sure hope they get it straightened out.

Crankbaitmaker