punching rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TTaylor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: punching rods

Post by TTaylor » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 am

Recon 796, Curado 201, 65lb braid. This is my combo for punching on the Delta
Owner - TNT Baits

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 pm

froteur, I do all my flipping/punching with this line. I sometimes go up to a one and a quarter weight to get down in the thickest of grass here, Alabama. I mainly fish three lakes, Lay, Mitchell, & Jordan which are all within a 20 minute drive of my home. The grass can get pretty thick in some places and I've never once broken a fish off using this line. I do however think I set the hook a little less forcefully than most. I see some guys REALLY hammer the hook home, I just don't have a problem hooking them the way I do it.

Most of the time I use an Owner hook(can't remember the name or number right this second) that is 3X wire with a small spring on the shank that is welded to the eye. I simply screw my bait on until the end of my plastic covers the knot, slide my pegged weight down snug and fish. I never have to worry about this hook straightening out. Sometimes though when I'm just being lazy I'll use a regular Gamakatsu offset shank round bend worm hook to flip with and I've also never had a problem with these hooks being to light.

I said all that to I guess make the point that I'm not all that forceful even with my flipping gear. I mainly fun fish so it's no big deal to HAVE to put every bite into the boat so I just take it easy and enjoy my time on the lake. Also let me lastly say this, I'm not a great fisherman in the first place, I just love to fish. What works for me probably wouldn't work for someone who was trying to make a living fishing or was super serious about catching them everytime. I have a laid back, keep it simple mind set going most days.

set_da_hook
Angler
Angler

Post by set_da_hook » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Recon 796 with a Chronarch 200E6

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:42 pm

John Puckett wrote:froteur, I do all my flipping/punching with this line. I sometimes go up to a one and a quarter weight to get down in the thickest of grass here, Alabama. I mainly fish three lakes, Lay, Mitchell, & Jordan which are all within a 20 minute drive of my home. The grass can get pretty thick in some places and I've never once broken a fish off using this line. I do however think I set the hook a little less forcefully than most. I see some guys REALLY hammer the hook home, I just don't have a problem hooking them the way I do it.

Most of the time I use an Owner hook(can't remember the name or number right this second) that is 3X wire with a small spring on the shank that is welded to the eye. I simply screw my bait on until the end of my plastic covers the knot, slide my pegged weight down snug and fish. I never have to worry about this hook straightening out. Sometimes though when I'm just being lazy I'll use a regular Gamakatsu offset shank round bend worm hook to flip with and I've also never had a problem with these hooks being to light.

I said all that to I guess make the point that I'm not all that forceful even with my flipping gear. I mainly fun fish so it's no big deal to HAVE to put every bite into the boat so I just take it easy and enjoy my time on the lake. Also let me lastly say this, I'm not a great fisherman in the first place, I just love to fish. What works for me probably wouldn't work for someone who was trying to make a living fishing or was super serious about catching them everytime. I have a laid back, keep it simple mind set going most days.
i'm glad that it works for you. i guess we just prefer to use braid in the delta crap. anyway, tight lines! :big grin:

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:24 pm

froteur, I know braid would be a better option if I were only flipping thick grass all the time but I also use this combo to pitch to wood with no grass around. I just don't feel "right" about using braid in more open water situations. I just think I get less bites if I use straight braid anywhere but in grass. This may or may not be true but it's always in the back of my mind that it is true so I just don't have the confidence to use braid. Also I don't like taking the time to re-tie a leader onto braid so I just keep it simple and use the fluoro.

The only rod I run braid on 100% of the time is my frog rod. I do oh so love the hooksets I get with braid and the heavy frog hook though.

Good luck fishing to you as well sir 8-)

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 pm

DX795
Chronarch D7
50lb PP

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:02 am

John Puckett wrote:froteur, I know braid would be a better option if I were only flipping thick grass all the time but I also use this combo to pitch to wood with no grass around. I just don't feel "right" about using braid in more open water situations. I just think I get less bites if I use straight braid anywhere but in grass. This may or may not be true but it's always in the back of my mind that it is true so I just don't have the confidence to use braid. Also I don't like taking the time to re-tie a leader onto braid so I just keep it simple and use the fluoro.

The only rod I run braid on 100% of the time is my frog rod. I do oh so love the hooksets I get with braid and the heavy frog hook though.

Good luck fishing to you as well sir 8-)

as long as it works. and, more importantly, as long as you are confident in it. :D

nothing like a frog bite! :big grin:

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Dobyns Champion 805 with Chronarch D7 and 70# braid
Dobyns Champion Extreme 795 with Chronarch D7 and 70# braid

bassinbrian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassinbrian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 pm

7'11" MF St. Croix Xtreme
Zillion Type R
65# suffix performance

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I enjoyed reading Johns approach to fishing. What happened to the days of enjoying the battle. I have been guilty of throwing 50 or 65 lb braid at times too, but I sure do miss the days of light lines and light action rods. Sorry to get off topic, just thowing out a thought for the day. :) =D>
Dobyns Rods

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:44 pm

Lucky1 wrote:I enjoyed reading Johns approach to fishing. What happened to the days of enjoying the battle. I have been guilty of throwing 50 or 65 lb braid at times too, but I sure do miss the days of light lines and light action rods. Sorry to get off topic, just thowing out a thought for the day. :) =D>
i understand what you are saying but good luck if you choose to use 6 pound mono when punching .... just sayin. :big grin: :big grin:

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks Lucky1. I have fun fishing the way I want to just like every man has the right to fish how they want to. I hardly ever fish a tourney, maybe once or twice a year so I just have fun and enjoy my time out fishing. I'm lazy so the simpler the better to me :mrgreen: .

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 pm

I use a 2007 Kistler LTX HE2HC76T rod with a Shimano Core MGFV. I really enjoy using this combo.

Crankbaitmaker

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:44 am

Phenic Recon 796 + Shimano Core MgFV + 50LB Power Pro
robchik.com