Powell Rod Philosophy.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JT_NCbassman
Angler
Angler

Powell Rod Philosophy.

Post by JT_NCbassman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:58 am

I have two Powell Max rods. One 6'8" MH XF and one 7'0 M XF and they are both amazing rods. I keep wondering how I got both of them for around 100 dollars. They are comfortable, incredibly light, and seem to be crisp and responsive. I'm just wondering, is there ANY area where these Powell Max rods fall short compared to the 250-300 dollar rods? Are they are not as sensitive as the super-high modulous 300 dollar deals? I'm just sitting here thinking, I can buy Powell Rods to cover all my moving baits where sensitivity is not really an issue, and use my GLX 844C to fish my bottom contact baits, and I will be set. I found myself using the 7'0 Medium XFast Powell over my IMX 7'0" MH for jerkbaits. If felt more comfortable, and lighter than the IMX.

Another question, are Powell Rods related to Dobyns rods somehow? Are they designed similarly? If so, I will be buying some Dobyns as well. Hopefully, one of the rod gurus on here can explain why these rods feel so good for such a low price. Thanks - Jake

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Powell Rod Philosophy.

Post by biggs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:04 am

JT_NCbassman wrote:Another question, are Powell Rods related to Dobyns rods somehow? Are they designed similarly?
If I remember correctly, Gary Dobyns helped design the Powell Max rods. Gary Dobyns and Powell had a falling out of some sort so Dobyns started his own rod company and the rest is history as they say!
Instagram @___bradb

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Yes, Gary use to be with Powell. I have 2 max spinning rods and just ordered an endurance casting rod. I am very pleased with Powell rods and use them everytime I go out. For the price range of the max series you WILL NOT find a better rod. With that being said, Dobyns does build slightly nicer sticks. Dobyns has Powell beat in two areas IMO. 1st his rods are a touch lighter without doubt. Secondly, his rods are much better balanced, not as tip heavy. I think the Powell rods are just fine in terms of sensitivity and being responsive. Powell also offers a line up to cover just about everything. Dobyns may use a higher grade of cork. In the end I think it just comes down to consumer pref. Dobyns are not worth the extra 50 to 100 bucks IMO, so I continue to purchase Powell.

JT_NCbassman
Angler
Angler

Post by JT_NCbassman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I suppose my next rod will be a 703C. I was wondering if this model feels tip heavy? The two that I have right now don't feel tip heavy at all, but one is only 6'8" MH and the other is 7' Medium, and I guess those are probably 2 of the lightest models in the line-up. Another question I have, is what makes Powell's rods so light? Are they using super-high modulous graphite like the high dollar rods? Or is it something about their construction that allows them to use less material but still retain strength?

sly
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:48 pm

I have 3 powell rods:
681 light spinning = great drop shot rod
682 CEF (casting) = medium XF, my favorite rod for light T-rigs and even light jerkbaits. Very light and responsive rod, just love it.
683 CEF: great rod for the price, however since you mention the tip heaviness I do find it a bit tip heavy. It's not noticeable for tip down applications like spinnerbaits and jerkbaits, but to work a T-Rig all day it does not feel as good to me as other rods. To be fair, it felt OK until I held some of my buddies high end combos like Daiwa steez rod + reel.
For this reason I moved to Loomis BCR803GLX, which is much better balanced and lighter. But still the powell is a very solid rod, the action is great and I hardly lost any fish on it (the action helps a lot keeping it pinned). It's a sensitive stick too !

Cannot comment on the Dobyns, never handled one. However I keep thinking that Powell would be unbeatable for the price if they offered full grip rod AND micro (or at least lighter) guides => would make it perfectly balanced.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:In the end I think it just comes down to consumer pref. Dobyns are not worth the extra 50 to 100 bucks IMO, so I continue to purchase Powell.
Which Dobyns or Powell line/series of rods are you talking about? Dobyns has 4 series. Powell has 3 series.

Prices looked up on Tacklewarehouse.

Dobyns Savvy series rods (standard guides and micro guides) start at $149.99 to $169.99.

Powell Max line starts at $139.99 & go up to $169.99

Powell Endurance line is $169.99 for all the models unless they are on clearance.

Powell/Tacklewarehouse exclusive rods are priced at $169.99.

I've owned and fished the Savvy & Max rods. I prefer the Savvy. Of course.......it isn't a secret that I'm a Dobyns fan so take it for what its worth. :lol: On the other hand, Powell does offer a wider range of models in that price point.

There are articles that state Dobyns designed the Max line of rods for Powell. IIRC, he started his own company in 2007. There are also references that Dobyns did some design work for other companies prior to Powell.

Lots of articles on both Dobyns & Powell in the TT.com review archives.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm

JT_NCbassman wrote:I have two Powell Max rods. One 6'8" MH XF and one 7'0 M XF and they are both amazing rods. I keep wondering how I got both of them for around 100 dollars. They are comfortable, incredibly light, and seem to be crisp and responsive. I'm just wondering, is there ANY area where these Powell Max rods fall short compared to the 250-300 dollar rods? Are they are not as sensitive as the super-high modulous 300 dollar deals? I'm just sitting here thinking, I can buy Powell Rods to cover all my moving baits where sensitivity is not really an issue, and use my GLX 844C to fish my bottom contact baits, and I will be set. I found myself using the 7'0 Medium XFast Powell over my IMX 7'0" MH for jerkbaits. If felt more comfortable, and lighter than the IMX.

Another question, are Powell Rods related to Dobyns rods somehow? Are they designed similarly? If so, I will be buying some Dobyns as well. Hopefully, one of the rod gurus on here can explain why these rods feel so good for such a low price. Thanks - Jake
I have 3 Powell rods; 703C, 704C & 714 Paddle Tail. I also have 8 Dobyn's rods. Dobyn's Champions; 2-735C's, 736C & 682C, Dobyn's Extreme DX744C, DX745C, DX704C & DX703C. My Powell rods are all very good rods but don't have the balance or sensitivity of my Dobyn's rods. With that being said... If a rod doesn't perform or feel the way I need it to it doesn't find it's way into the boat with me. I prefer to use my Powell rods for action or moving type baits & my Dobyn's rods for feel type applications.

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 pm

I love my 703c but it's a little tip heavy. This shouldn't deter you, a little lead tape will fix. The 703c is a great all around rod and highly recommend it. I agree that Dobyns are nicer and more refined but they are also more expensive...

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:27 pm

bemo wrote:I love my 703c but it's a little tip heavy. This shouldn't deter you, a little lead tape will fix. The 703c is a great all around rod and highly recommend it. I agree that Dobyns are nicer and more refined but they are also more expensive...
Very true, the Dobyn's Champion & Extreme series rods are more expensive.

d3bf48
Angler
Angler

Post by d3bf48 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:29 pm

I don't know much about them but I love the 682 I have. Has been perfect for river smallmouth and tossing light plastics.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:29 pm

civicrr wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:In the end I think it just comes down to consumer pref. Dobyns are not worth the extra 50 to 100 bucks IMO, so I continue to purchase Powell.
Which Dobyns or Powell line/series of rods are you talking about? Dobyns has 4 series. Powell has 3 series.

Prices looked up on Tacklewarehouse.

Dobyns Savvy series rods (standard guides and micro guides) start at $149.99 to $169.99.

Powell Max line starts at $139.99 & go up to $169.99

Powell Endurance line is $169.99 for all the models unless they are on clearance.

Powell/Tacklewarehouse exclusive rods are priced at $169.99.

I've owned and fished the Savvy & Max rods. I prefer the Savvy. Of course.......it isn't a secret that I'm a Dobyns fan so take it for what its worth. :lol: On the other hand, Powell does offer a wider range of models in that price point.

There are articles that state Dobyns designed the Max line of rods for Powell. IIRC, he started his own company in 2007. There are also references that Dobyns did some design work for other companies prior to Powell.

Lots of articles on both Dobyns & Powell in the TT.com review archives.
Agreed Civicrr Gary makes a fine rods in all his series. Powell rods are very nice as well, very good rods in there price range. The new series of Dobyns is going to be killer! going to compete with some JDM rods ver sure. But its hard to beat both companies!

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:34 am

I think when you start trying to compare a $170 rod to a $270 rod, there are a few objective comparisons to make (components, weight) and a whole lot of subjective ones.

Personally, I won't spend the $ on a $350 rod. I just won't - and I fish @ 100 days a year. I can't justify the performance difference, and having a 'high end' rod for its own sake just doesn't matter that much to me. For some, having the 'best' is an end in itself, and that's awesome. If it's part of what you enjoy about fishing, go for it. A Steez BC reel is an awesome machine, but I'll rot before I buy one. That doesn't mean I buy the $49 Bass Pro cheapies, because they don't perform well enough for what I want out of them. But I can get great performance (which is what matters to me) from a $160 Curado or $200 Chronarch (or my old but tuned up Chronarch As for that matter...).

It all comes down to what you value. Part of why I like Powells as much as I do (I have several) is they give exceptional performance compared to other rods in the same price range. The components, the fit and finish, weight, etc...The bang for the buck is stellar. When I decided to upgrade my rods, i bought comparable models from Dobyns and Powell and fished them side by side. I found myself reaching for the Powell more often, so that's what i went with. I like how they feel and how they fish. That's no knock on Dobyns - I just like the Powells more. I now have several, and have yet to find one I don't like. OTOH, I have some $250 rods I can't stand. On paper they're 'better' than a Powell, but they sit in my basement because I don't like how they perform.

Specific to Powells, when it comes to rods over 7 feet, the Endurance series models *do* balance a little better then a similar rod from the Max series. I prefer them for tip-up presentations like jigs, etc. The guides are lower profile, but not full on micros, which I suppose cuts down some weight. The Endurance composite crankbait rods are out of this world. Love the things. I've never fished a CB rod I liked more - and I've spent a lot more on several. I fish frogs, spinnerbaits, topwaters and lipless baits on Max series rods, and love it.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:25 am

I noticed my Gen 1 Dobyns is slightly less tip heavy than the Powell MAX 703C, but I use the Powell for so many techniques. I have not had a chance to compare my Gen 2 Dobyns Champion Extremes. I don't anticipate selling the Powell any time soon. Great rod!
TB