Suggestions on a paddle tail swimbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JohnT
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Suggestions on a paddle tail swimbait rod

Post by JohnT » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:21 pm

Hey guys, brand new here. What a great site. I dont get online all that much but decided to do some rod research tonight and ended up landing here. Glad i did. Anyway on to my question...
In the last year or so I have been throwing a lot of 4" big hammer swimbaits for smallmouth in the lakes down here in Tennessee. I use anywhere from a 3/8 to a 3/4 head that I pour. I have been using a 7' medium heavy xfast rod because that's really all I have left to throw it with in the boat. I feel that this rod is too stiff and im not hooking up as much as I should due to the lack of tip of the rod I'm using. I have in my head that I'm needing something in between a crankbait rod and the stiffer jig rods that I am partial to. Hoping you guys with experience in fishing these smaller swimbaits can lend some suggestions. I live in a fairly rural area so it's a big trip to drive to somewhere that has a decent selection to play around with. Also Im very comfortable with rods in the 7 to 7'3 range. I've been really eying the new crucial series In a 7'2 medium heavy fast. Heard they have a nice soft tip for a fast action rod. Anyone have a dealings with these? I'll open the floor up to you guys and thanks in advance.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Suggestions on a paddle tail swimbait rod

Post by cjtoad » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same boat as you when it came to paddletails, most jig rods were way to fast and most swimbait rods were to long and heavy. I built myself 4 different rods in the past 3 years trying to come up with the right rod action. Last year I finaly came up with the right rod (for me), a 7' medhvy mod fast built on a L844-MHX. It's a saltwater blank so it's got a little more power then a normal jig rod and the modfast action is just about perfect for getting good hookups. I throw a lot of 5.5" bighammers and 4.5" Lunkercity shakers on it and it works great. Good luck with the search.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:15 pm

JohnT wrote:I've been really eying the new crucial series In a 7'2 medium heavy fast.
If that rod is anything like the Cumara, I think it is lacking in the power department for throwing your baits. Actually, You didn't mention what hooks you're putting in your jigheads. If the hooks you're using are similar to the Revenge or Strike King Redfish Magic heads, I don't think it will be powerful enough.

The Dobyns Champion 734C is a really good rod for the technique. GLoomis MBR844 is too - that is the rod I threw those baits on before the 734. Both rods are listed as fast action by their manufactures. What makes them work really well is that they aren't 'fast' fast action rods like some that are being produced these days. That action lets the fish really eat the bait before you set the hook. Same action allows you to set on them without snatching the lure away.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:45 am

The thing is, your looking to drive a 4/0-6/0 wide gap exposed hook with 1/2-1oz weight into them and talking about using a rod in between a craker and jig rod.... I go with a 7'1H rod with braid. It's got the power to drive the hook right up throw there upper lip.. Your missing fish probably because your setting the hook to soon. Most of these baits are big and bulky but don't have trebles. Bass typically swipe at a shad to stun it and then take it head first to swallow it. Let the fish hold it for second before driving it home, 9x's out of 10 they won't spit it out.... My $0.02

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:55 am

I posted a similar thread to you last summer you can search on with many ideas. The MBR844 and Dobyn's 734 were most common picks. I have the MBR844 but don't keep it in Florida where I fish paddletails most. Last fall I picked up a Powel Paddle tail rod and it really rocks. Basically a butt almost like a flipping stick with a soft tip. I notice that Tacklewarehouse does not show that model anymore. This rod in the endurance series is suppose to be very similar

Powell Endurance Casting Rod 7'1" Heavy 714-CEF

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:53 am

As you can see from the above posts a 4 power rod, 7' or over and rated up to at least 1oz is ideal, so I would choose something with those specs in the brand of your choosing.

I will be using a Dobyns 734c this year but in the past have used a powell 704c, Dobyns 735ss and my dx744 with good results.
Instagram @___bradb

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:18 am

I recently bought a CUCX711MH (cumara reaction) for all my small to medium sized swimbaits and especially skinny dippers. I unfortunately have not used it yet as all the water around here is frozen solid. I have been playing with it a lot in my basement and comparing it to my previous paddletail rod TD Zillion 69 MHXF and from the feel of it I think in will make a phenomenal paddletail rod. Their is a lot of backbone and a great soft tip for allowing a bass to really inhale the bait fully. I know that the zillion is a really stiff rod in comparison to the cumara and I did miss several fish on the zillion because of it. Hope this helps.

Mike D

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:38 am

mdesouza wrote:I recently bought a CUCX711MH (cumara reaction) for all my small to medium sized swimbaits and especially skinny dippers. I unfortunately have not used it yet as all the water around here is frozen solid. I have been playing with it a lot in my basement and comparing it to my previous paddletail rod TD Zillion 69 MHXF and from the feel of it I think in will make a phenomenal paddletail rod. Their is a lot of backbone and a great soft tip for allowing a bass to really inhale the bait fully. I know that the zillion is a really stiff rod in comparison to the cumara and I did miss several fish on the zillion because of it. Hope this helps.

Mike D

The zillion is too fast/powerful a combo. Found the same thing out with a Biffle Quantum 6'10 jig rod. Must have some tip for sure.

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:43 am

DavidSA wrote:
mdesouza wrote:I recently bought a CUCX711MH (cumara reaction) for all my small to medium sized swimbaits and especially skinny dippers. I unfortunately have not used it yet as all the water around here is frozen solid. I have been playing with it a lot in my basement and comparing it to my previous paddletail rod TD Zillion 69 MHXF and from the feel of it I think in will make a phenomenal paddletail rod. Their is a lot of backbone and a great soft tip for allowing a bass to really inhale the bait fully. I know that the zillion is a really stiff rod in comparison to the cumara and I did miss several fish on the zillion because of it. Hope this helps.

Mike D

The zillion is too fast/powerful a combo. Found the same thing out with a Biffle Quantum 6'10 jig rod. Must have some tip for sure.

Exactly, the zillion is going to be moved to a close quarters pitching stick for heavy cover. It will probably be used for Texas rigging and jigs.

Mike D

jmatsuoka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmatsuoka » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:02 pm

I dont throw a lot of the big hammers but i do throw some custom modeled 4"-6" fish trap style baits. I fish them on a Phenix Recon 744. PErfect tip action with plenty of backbone. The tip allows the me to feel that tail moving its very sensitive. The backbone and length allows me to move big bass and stripers away from cover. As soon as you feel the fish grab it just reel faster and pull, don't jerk a lot of times, thats where you miss because that fish doesn't have the bait all the way. just my .02 cents.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:33 pm

If you like the new Crucial lineup, I'd take a look at the 7'2" Heavy for those baits. When you add your bait to the 3/8 oz head, you'll be at 1/2oz total, and close to an ounce with your 3/4oz heads. It has a soft enough tip, plenty of backbone, and all the other attributes you'd want for fishing that presentation - not to mention being good for a lot of other techniques! Good luck with your search 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Your going to need at least a heavy action rod with a fast tip to get a good hook up for sure.