Many folks fishing Phenix Recon rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GOOCHY
Angler
Angler

Many folks fishing Phenix Recon rods?

Post by GOOCHY » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:43 pm

I'm just getting back into bass fishing this year after several years away. In doing some research about the newer rods it looked like the Phenix Recon rods were a real bang-for-the-buck type of rod. I ordered one from Hi's Tackle the other day and can't wait to have it in hand. I'm pairing a Shimano Citica E with the 6'8" ML and intending to use this rig as a good "all around" set. Senkos, spinnerbaits, etc.

Anybody have any opinions on the Phenix Recons and how they compare to rods of similar price, etc.? It seems like a lot of folks think these rods perform at a higher level than they're priced at.

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Many folks fishing Phenix Recon rods?

Post by meach » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:42 pm

Goochy,
Welcome to boards...there is tons and tons of info on the recon rods...to a search at the top of the forums and type in recon, and youlll get plenty of info...
You must unlearn what you have learned

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm

The 6'8" ML might be a little on the light side...

I personally think they are great value for the $$$. A solid all around rod has been the 764.

The tapers are a little more parabolic than most other rods and therefore might feel 'underpowered'. I definitely dont think they are underpowered, but u should adjust for the tapers accordingly.

I've got the 723M(spinning), 713ML, 744MH, 715H, 764MH, 796H. I really like the 796 and 764.
robchik.com

mnbassman23
Angler
Angler

Post by mnbassman23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

robchik04 wrote: The tapers are a little more parabolic than most other rods and therefore might feel 'underpowered'. I definitely dont think they are underpowered, but u should adjust for the tapers accordingly.

I've got the 723M(spinning), 713ML, 744MH, 715H, 764MH, 796H. I really like the 796 and 764.
robchick04 what application are you using your 715H for? I just got this stick and am planning on using it for 3/8-1/2 jigs mostly, it seems like it'll fish them well. This is my first Recon and I haven't been able to fish it yet since there is a big sheet of ice on the lakes, but if it fishes as good as it looks i won't be disappointed!

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 pm

That's it! 3/8-5/8 ounce jigs... Right in it's wheel house. In the deep clear spotted bass lakes I paired it with a Core and 12# FC and out in the CA Delta, a Metanium Mg7 w/ 17#FC

I really like these rods as great multi use rods! I think this is because of the slower tapers.
robchik.com

GOOCHY
Angler
Angler

Post by GOOCHY » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:43 pm

I've read that their ML is really more like an M so I'm not too concerned on that front. Most Iowa bass just aren't that big to stress over it too much. :)

Thanks for the info! I hope that others will chime in with their experience with the Recon line.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:13 pm

GOOCHY wrote:I've read that their ML is really more like an M so I'm not too concerned on that front. Most Iowa bass just aren't that big to stress over it too much. :)

Thanks for the info! I hope that others will chime in with their experience with the Recon line.
I have the recon 6'8" ML and it is an ML rod but the mbx ml model is in between an ml and medium power rod from handling it a couple of times.

GOOCHY
Angler
Angler

Post by GOOCHY » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:23 pm

rh_916 wrote:
GOOCHY wrote:I've read that their ML is really more like an M so I'm not too concerned on that front. Most Iowa bass just aren't that big to stress over it too much. :)

I have the recon 6'8" ML and it is an ML rod but the mbx ml model is in between an ml and medium power rod from handling it a couple of times.
Do you find that the ML is too light? Now I'm starting to second guess myself.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 pm

GOOCHY wrote:
rh_916 wrote:

Do you find that the ML is too light? Now I'm starting to second guess myself.

Your better off with an 714 medium heavy model for senkos and spinnerbaits

GOOCHY
Angler
Angler

Post by GOOCHY » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 am

We'll see how I like this one. I'm not a huge fan of the 7' plus rods that are so popular these days. If I feel it's too light Hi's Tackle has a good exchange policy and I'll send it back and get the 7'1" MH, I s'pose.

TTaylor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TTaylor » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:41 am

I own 7 of the Recons and absolutely love them. Power ratings are really what you make of them. Every manufacture is different. I have some Dobyns Champion Series rods and in my opinion, the Recons are very close in power ratings to these rods. My St. Croix rods are different than my Recons. To me the St.Croix's have more "power" than there ratings say, so there's really no real line to go off of.

The ML rod I have in the spinning rod. To me it fishes as a ML would fish. I think you'll be okay throwing smaller senkos, 4", but bigger ones you may want to go up to a medium. I throw spinnerbaits on mediums and they do just fine as long as it's open water and not a lot of structure you're having to pull fish from.

In my opinion, you can't beat a Recon for the price you pay for them. JDM styling, light weight, well balanced, great sensitivity and good back bone to these rods. I really like the EVA grips on the rods. Fishing in the rain, I was able to grip these rods better than the rods that have cork on them. Plus, the EVA is smaller in diameter and makes it easy to fish all day.

I just wish that Phenix would add some more models to the lineup, like a 7'3" XH rod for frog fishing the slop on the Delta!!!!
Owner - TNT Baits

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:26 pm

robchik, can you do me a favor and weigh your recons with a good postal scale and post the weights? weights have been posted before but they seemed impossibly light so i just want some confirmation.

goochy, if you fish spinnerbaits with an ML rod, i think you're going to get your heart broken (from experience). medium is the minimum i'd ever go now, even with a 1/4 oz. spinnerbait...MH is even better.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:25 pm

i don't have the 715 recon but i "do" have a 715 k2. that WILL be my jig rod. if the recon is anywhere near the same action as the k2, it is a great jig rod. :big grin: :big grin:

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 am

I love my phenix recon 712L Casting rod. Im using it for finesse saltwater with light jigs and DOA shrimp. IMO Sensitivity is on par with my Falcon Caras. Im waiting on some more models myself, i could definately use a 7-7'3 XH for some big saltwater baits :big grin:

set_da_hook
Angler
Angler

Post by set_da_hook » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:37 am

I have the C715 and it fishes more like a traditional MH than than an actual H, but that is just fine to me. The rod is awesome. Super light weight, sensitive and at a price that you can't beat. I have 8 Phenix UMBX rods and the Recon fishes right up there with them. I throw 3/8 and 1/2 swim jigs and switchblades with the 715 and it excels at that app.