Deciding between two Abu rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Deciding between two Abu rods

Post by curls » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:44 am

I have one rod too many as it stands right now.

In general, it looks like this:
Frogs: Dobyns SS735C
Senko: Dobyns DX703C
Spinnerbait / Tube: 7'0" Abu Veritas MH-F
T-rig 1/4-1/2oz: Kistler McMag 7'0" MH-F
Dropshot / Skipping: Kistler Mag 6'9" Finesse Special (spinning).

The problem is here:
Jigs - 1/2 - 3/4oz: CHOICES: 7'3" Abu Verdict MH-F (rating 1/4 - 1oz). Or, 7'6" Abu Veritas MH-F (rating 3/8 - 1 1/4oz).
This rod will need to double, on occastion, as a light punching rod (1oz tungsten + craw/creature). Alternatively, it can pull duty as a frog rod and I'd use the SS735C as the guerilla warfare rod?

What to do -- need to get rid of one of these two rods. Or... is there another rod that can be sold and I'd keep the Verdict or 7'6" Veritas?

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Deciding between two Abu rods

Post by dcorp » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:37 am

I've had both and they are very simular. I think the veritas was a bit lighter and as far as sensitivity, I couldn't tell much of a difference. I liked the overall feel of the Veritas better. Either of those rods will work good for what you need them for.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm

curls wrote:I have one rod too many as it stands right now.
:shock: Wha...? I think you just lost everybody on TT with that one. :lol:

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:13 pm

You answered the question yourself, I think the 7'6" Veritas is what you need. The reason I say that is 2-fold, one you want it for light punching so it is a little beefier on the specs and you also may incorporate it into frog fishing so the extra length may serve you well.
Barlow's Tackle

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:11 pm

bigreddog: Yeah, but I'm a co-angler ad 6 rigs is more than I can usually fit on one of my boaters' boats, LOL!
smalljaw wrote:You answered the question yourself, I think the 7'6" Veritas is what you need. The reason I say that is 2-fold, one you want it for light punching so it is a little beefier on the specs and you also may incorporate it into frog fishing so the extra length may serve you well.
I tend to agree... but... I fished frogs with a 7'0" Kistler Jig-n-Toad rod last year and it was great. Accurate, powerful, and seemed 'right' at that length.
Also, I feel the Veritas is just a tad stiffer than the Verdict, specifically in the tip. This is based purely on testing in my basement next to each other as everything is still frozen here. The problem there is, I used a very stiff (albeit extremely sensitive) 7'6" rod last year for jigs and found it TOO stiff - I felt I missed a good number of fish by them feeling the rod before I could reel any slack and swing.

So, still not sure. Both rods have their merits, their pros and cons for my intended application and possible sub-application. (I'd say the % of time these would be used for something other than jigs, is probably 10%, so not too significant).

Thanks for the input so far!

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 am

I think I've narrowed it down, and the odd-rod out is actually the 7'0" MH-F Veritas (not the 7'3" or 7'6" rods mentioned earlier).

Should look something like this:

FROGS: Dobyns SS735C MH-XF, Quantum Catalyst 7:1, 70# Daiwa Samurai.
JIGS 1/2 - 3/4oz: 7'6" MH-F Abu Garcia Veritas, Quantum 101HPT 7:1, 70# Daiwa Samurai.
SENKO (wacky or t-rig weightless): Dobyns DX703C MH-F, 201E7 Curado 7:1, 15# Fluorocarbon.
T-RIG 1/4 - 1/2oz (creature/craw): 7'3" MH-F Abu Garcia Verdict, Citica 201E 6.2:1, 40# braid.
SPINNERBAIT, TUBE: 7'0" Kistler Micro Magnesium MH-F, Citica 201E 6.2:1, 15# Fluorocarbon.
DROPSHOT / SKIPPING DOCKS: 6'9" Kistler MH Finesse Special (Spinning), Shimano Sonora, 30# braid, tipped with 6' fluoro leader if necessary.

Make sense?