6 ft or under bait caster

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Ace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

6 ft or under bait caster

Post by Ace » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:57 am

I am looking for a shorter baitcaster for tight casting situations. I have been looking at alot of websites and they seem to be getting pretty rare. I know St Croix and Loomis have some in that length, legend elite is at the top of my list right now have but I am open to suggestions. It will be used primarily for 1/4oz spinnerbaits and shallow cranks for stream smallies. I would consider spending up to $500 to get what I want, import or domestic!

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 6 ft or under bait caster

Post by mhood » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:28 am

If you look, you can still find GLoomis CR722 GLXs in good condition. You can still get them new but I'd prefer an old one. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 am

I have 3 casting rods that are 6', my favorite is a CR723 GLX and it is fantastic but it may be a little to much being that you want to throw cranks , and I have a Cabelas Fish Eagle 2 that is a tad softer in a medium power that I got just for smaller rattle traps and small shallow cranks and my other 6' rod is a custom I had made just for spinnerbaits. I have them because I was fishing in places where it was tight and you need to make pin point casts in relatively short distances. You may want to look at the Loomis CR722 GLX, that will have a little softer action than my 723. The only reason I brought up the Fish Eagle is that when I got that rod, I already had the Loomis which was great with a spinnerbait or jigs but too fast for the small cranks and I had a gift card to burn so I picked it up and I was really surpised at how well it not only felt in hand but the overall fishability of the stick, so if you can't find something else it is an option you may want to look at.
Barlow's Tackle

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm

I have a St. Croix Legend Elite LEC60MF that I bought right before Christmas. I've only had it out on the water once throwing a 1/4oz jig, but I can tell that I'm really gonna enjoy using it. It is super lightweight and the best balanced St. Croix casting rod I've used (which honestly isn't that difficult to do with a 6' rod). The sensitivity was very impressive as well.

I really bought mine for tight quarters fishing, but I'm also considering keeping it with me in the truck at all times since it's so short and easy to store. I have to cross the Tennessee River every day to go to school or work, so I have a strong tendency to get home late with a fishy smell on my hands. :D

I'm sure the G.Loomis rods would also be fantastic choices, but I'm pretty confident that you would be very happy with the Legend Elite.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm

PancakeFace22 wrote:I have a St. Croix Legend Elite LEC60MF that I bought right before Christmas. I've only had it out on the water once throwing a 1/4oz jig, but I can tell that I'm really gonna enjoy using it. It is super lightweight and the best balanced St. Croix casting rod I've used (which honestly isn't that difficult to do with a 6' rod). The sensitivity was very impressive as well.
x2. I got this rod last year and it's a really nice platform. I have my 50GT on it and really enjoy the combo. Does all kinds of good things very well. Looks classy, too. Depending on the model year you get, super trade-in value towards a Legend Extreme, should you want to go that direction. I'm happy with the Legend Elite performance and style, though.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:48 pm

If you're looking to import, maybe:

Megabass F4-60xti Flat Backer; or
Megabass F5-510x or F5-510xti Go Ten Tachyon (Evolution)

If you look around, they can be had for quite a bit less than $500 (new), but don't forget to factor in shipping costs.
Last edited by bigreddog on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:05 pm

ditto on the cr722 glx.

bad high on the funometer, as well.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I too would strongly endorse the St. Croix Legend Elite 6' M F rod. I fished a brown version for quite a few years before my dog snagged the tip on day in the boat and broke the rod about 4" from the tip. I had purchased the rod in Cabela's bargain cave and was unsure how it might effect the warranty. I emailed St. Croix with the details and with no hesitation they just said send it back. In about a week I had one of the new black versions at my door. My only cost was shipping to St. Croix. This might be a consideration when buying an expensive rod. I used the rod for about every technique and never found it lacking. However, I'm an old geezer that was brought up on 5' and 5'6" casting rods.

Ace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ace » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:41 am

Ok, like what I'm hearing about the Legend Elite. That for everyone's opinions. The only reason I am hesitant about the Loomis is that the GLX line hasn't been updated and it seems like St Croix is constantly improving their products across their line up.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:28 pm

Ace wrote:Ok, like what I'm hearing about the Legend Elite. That for everyone's opinions. The only reason I am hesitant about the Loomis is that the GLX line hasn't been updated and it seems like St Croix is constantly improving their products across their line up.
The GLX blank is one of the best ever constructed, why change a proven winner? 8-) I'll add more love for the CR722GLX - it's loads of fun to fish and ideal for your intentions. You certainly won't go wrong with either the Loomis or the Croix. Good luck on your search!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:00 pm

I don't have a GLX, can't imagine you'd go wrong with it.

You can probably score an LE much cheaper than a GLX...and the trade up value at St Croix will probably be higher than what you paid. It would only apply to the legend extreme line, but I like that option a lot. Only depreciates at 10 bucks a year, too.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Go custom. Lots of blanks to choose from St. Croix SCV 5C60MF-G or the North Fork Comp C 604-1 (IM) would be great with spiral wrapped Ti Sic mircos and a SK2 reel seat.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:58 pm

I have a cr 722 GL2 rod. I figured I didnt need the extra sensitivity of a GL3 or GLX because I was going to just use it for jerkbaits, mostly 78sp's.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm

cjtoad wrote:Go custom. Lots of blanks to choose from St. Croix SCV 5C60MF-G or the North Fork Comp C 604-1 (IM)
X2
For 500 bones you could get a killer rod that would surpass either the Loomis or SC offerings. You could also get your rod built on either of those blanks (you'd probably have to be lucky to score that Loomis blank, but it's not unthinkable) Though you could probably buy the rod and have it rebuilt for a total of 500, maybe a bit more.
cjtoad wrote:SK2 reel seat
Split reel seats = BOOO
Okay maybe that's personal preference :lol: