Light pitching rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Light pitching rod

Post by blakjack23 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:01 pm

falcon wrote:You won't break that rod. I set the hook like a gorilla using #16 toray and never had a problem fishing around docks and weed.
Agreed. I use a 7MF Elite for spinnerbaits and have landed muskie on that thing without problems.

For the OP, being a Croix/Shimano guy I would look into either a Cumara or a 6'6MHF Croix. The Cumara will be much lighter and better balanced. The shorter Croixs, 6'6 and 6'8 are MUCH lighter and better balanced than their 7' counterparts.

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ah_long » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Seems like you made the decision..

I was going to chime in and recommend the Z-Bone 6'9 3MH or the 6'9 4MH... a very nice rod.. and IMO, better blank than the LE

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:10 pm

OhioChamp183 wrote:
basspoundermatt wrote: Right now i have my eye on the Shimano Cumulus 6'10" MH. TW says it weighs 3oz. Anybody have this rod? Reviews?
I did own that rod, and in my opinion.....Shimano REALLY screwed up when they put the specs they did on that rod! :shock:
It is NO WHERE NEAR a MH power rod!
It has a VERY fast "flimbsy" tip, and I would call it a medium power AT BEST! (probably why it only weighs 3 0z! :lol: )
Maybe someone else here that has one, or had one, will chime in too.

I recommend a Dobyns Champion 703C (I use 2 of these for pitching)
or Savvy 703C

:big grin:
Wouldn't the characteristics you mention about the Cumulus make it perfect for the needs stated in the original post? Up to 1/2oz, lightweight pitching. Meaning... most MH rods are overkill. The cumulus having a very fast tip would make it a good choice for pitching light baits, no? The 703c is rated for lures up to 3/4oz, how could this rod possibly pitch the lighter baits better than a 6'10" cumulus?

jmatsuoka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmatsuoka » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:10 pm

i would look at a 764 Recon or a 744 Recon. They're very light a really well balanced and you can't beat the price point

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:42 am

Nytron wrote:
OhioChamp183 wrote:
basspoundermatt wrote: Right now i have my eye on the Shimano Cumulus 6'10" MH. TW says it weighs 3oz. Anybody have this rod? Reviews?
I did own that rod, and in my opinion.....Shimano REALLY screwed up when they put the specs they did on that rod! :shock:
It is NO WHERE NEAR a MH power rod!
It has a VERY fast "flimbsy" tip, and I would call it a medium power AT BEST! (probably why it only weighs 3 0z! :lol: )
Maybe someone else here that has one, or had one, will chime in too.

I recommend a Dobyns Champion 703C (I use 2 of these for pitching)
or Savvy 703C

:big grin:
Wouldn't the characteristics you mention about the Cumulus make it perfect for the needs stated in the original post? Up to 1/2oz, lightweight pitching. Meaning... most MH rods are overkill. The cumulus having a very fast tip would make it a good choice for pitching light baits, no? The 703c is rated for lures up to 3/4oz, how could this rod possibly pitch the lighter baits better than a 6'10" cumulus?

Oh, the 6'10" MH Cumulus will pitch light baits GREAT! =D>
But once ya hook that fish, in cover, ya better have luck on your side :lol:
I was stating that this MH power Cumulus model is MUCH MUCH MUCH more like a medium power AT BEST! :?

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:46 pm

The St. Croix LTB 7'-0 medium actually has more power than it implies. From what I have seen St. Croix tends to under rate their rods. The medium is almost as stiff as most manufacturer's medium heavy so it is pretty stout for how little the rod is.

Lagvpi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lagvpi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:25 am

Falcon 6-1-610 in the Bucuu Micro or Cara T7 reg or micro. I use the regular T7 for pitching and it is awesome. I move up to the Amistad for larger weights. The Amistad doesn't wear me out at all.