Need suggestions on heavier Jig rod.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need suggestions on heavier Jig rod.

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:28 am

steve1206 wrote:The NRX 873 CRR is a good time with a 3/4 oz. football jig. Its at least a half power heavier than the 854...
phatbass wrote:don't count out the bcr855 mag heavy good backbone and sensitive.
I find that these two rods fish very similarly and are both outstanding larger jig rods. In my hands, the CRR 873 is the clear winner in terms of sensitivity and I like the additional length. Good luck on your search 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

andy5014
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by andy5014 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am

Thanks for all the advise, I think that I am more confused now then ever. I am really intreged by the Dobyns Extreme Mike Long Rod 7'8 Heavy 784, but I am worried about the sensitivity compared with the GLX's that love for the lighter weight jigs that I am using.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:17 am

You're gonna get guys that will tell you that the Dobyns Extreme rods are just as sensitive as the GLoomis GLX or St Croix Elite/Xtreme. You'll also get guys saying one of the other two brands are better vs the Dobyns. I don't think anybody is wrong, rather I think it is a matter of perspective.

Having fished all three, I prefer the Dobyns.

I think you'll find the power of the DX784 pretty close to the BCR854. IMO, the DX744 is just slightly lighter than the BCR854. The DX784 is just slightly more powerful than the BCR854. Keep in mind the actions are different on all three rods as well which further blurs the line. The difference in action alone means they'll fish differently.

I like the DX745 better than the DX784 for a heavier jig rod. I like the way it builds power & keeps building, towards the butt better. Keep in mind that I'm more likely to pitch jigs with 3X hooks into heavy cover than I am to drag footballs with 'normal' hooks. You might do a search on the DX745 vs DX784. There have been several threads comparing the two.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

andy5014 wrote:Thanks for all the advise, I think that I am more confused now then ever. I am really intreged by the Dobyns Extreme Mike Long Rod 7'8 Heavy 784, but I am worried about the sensitivity compared with the GLX's that love for the lighter weight jigs that I am using.
The only way to know for sure is to try one. Everyone experiences and interprets sensitivity in a different way. I'm sure that if you are not satisfied with the 784, you should not have a problem selling it.