G. Loomis GL2 Jig and Worm Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

G. Loomis GL2 Jig and Worm Rods

Post by Fishingboy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi guys. Am planning on pulling the trigger on either one the new GL2 Jig and Worm Rods:-

- GL2 802CJWR 6'-8", 10-14lb, 1/8-3/8oz
- GL2 803CJWR 6'-8", 12-16lb, 3/16-5/8oz
- GL2 804CJWR 6"-8", 14-20lb, 5/16-3/4oz

Although the action of these rods are clearly marked on the action charts, I just want to know how the tips feel like, are they soft or quite stiff? Feedbacks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced. ;)
http://thefishingboy.blog138.fc2.com

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: G. Loomis GL2 Jig and Worm Rods

Post by smalljaw » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:54 pm

These rods have tips that match their actions, nothing different or spectacular. They are much heavier than I expected and for the price I think the MBR 783 or 843 in a GL3 would be a better choice for only a few dollars more. That is what confused me, these are very close in price to a GL3 which is a much better rod truth be told but they don't have that 6'8" length and they aren't technique specific either but the lables don't really matter.
Barlow's Tackle

Fishingboy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fishingboy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks for the comments ;)
http://thefishingboy.blog138.fc2.com

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:31 am

smalljaw wrote:These rods have tips that match their actions, nothing different or spectacular. They are much heavier than I expected and for the price I think the MBR 783 or 843 in a GL3 would be a better choice for only a few dollars more. That is what confused me, these are very close in price to a GL3 which is a much better rod truth be told but they don't have that 6'8" length and they aren't technique specific either but the lables don't really matter.
I would agree. Can get a used imx or even a glx around that price.
Check the shimano line up too... Crucial and cumara are right there at that price and a ton better/lighter with better components.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Is it just me, or I am picking up a brick every time a pick up a GL2 in the shop? They feel really heavy. I would spend my money on something lighter. The ACS handles are nice, but that is the only thing I like about the GL2 series. My team partner loves the St. Croix Mojo series. It feels lighter and more sensitive for an inexpensive stick in my opinion.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:29 pm

toddmc wrote:Is it just me, or I am picking up a brick every time a pick up a GL2 in the shop? They feel really heavy. I would spend my money on something lighter. The ACS handles are nice, but that is the only thing I like about the GL2 series. My team partner loves the St. Croix Mojo series. It feels lighter and more sensitive for an inexpensive stick in my opinion.
nope, not just you. i love loomis rods and actually went into my local shop ready to buy one of the new GL2s...but, as soon as i picked it up, i was shocked at how heavy it felt and left the store empty handed.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 am

yea, the new GL2 is simply not worth the tag imho.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:56 am

Some time this past Summer I went to Cabelas intent on buying the new GL2 if they had them in stock. Well, they did. But after holding the GL2 and comparing it to other rods, I ended up walking out with a Dobyns Champion.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:20 am

me as well.
7ft mh is kind of my first go to for feel and weight. it was worse than the Mojo i sold because it was too heavy, unbalanced and I didn't like it.
These rods really are a joke.
I feel like we are seeing the passing of an era,hopefully GLoomis can make a comeback.
Set hard and set often

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:24 pm

BucketHunter wrote:me as well.
7ft mh is kind of my first go to for feel and weight. it was worse than the Mojo i sold because it was too heavy, unbalanced and I didn't like it.
These rods really are a joke.
I feel like we are seeing the passing of an era,hopefully GLoomis can make a comeback.
I don't think they are that bad, but at the price they are selling them at, that is a joke. In all honesty if these rods were around the $110-$115 mark they would be at least worth considering, most value rods now are lighter and have better quality guides on them, I mean these are right at the $200 mark and have aluminum oxide guides, iy is good enough for bass fishing but I expect a little more for a premium price.
Barlow's Tackle