Best rod for the money?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best rod for the money?

Post by GotJDM » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:43 pm

I am on a search to find a new rod. This rod will be used for Jigging, & Weightless plastics. The rods Ive come down to have been between Megabass, Daiwa and Dobyns. The following rods are rods that I am really interested in..

Megabass Orochi F4.5-70X4
Daiwa Steez (not sure witch model yet, Must be at least 7ft)
Dobyns Extreme 703c
GLoomis Gl2 Jig & Worm Rod.... POSSIBLY
I really cant decide on witch one.. But the Megabass rod is really calling out my name.. I wanna know witch will be best for the money, and wat will be best for wat i will be using it for. Hopefully TT can narrow my search down to ONE rod!
Double Digit Lure Company.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best rod for the money?

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:45 am

not sure WHICH rod you should get but I would buy the Orochi

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:03 am

Whose money 8-) ?

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 am

orochi x2

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:17 am

Even as one of the biggest Loomis fans on this board, I will tell you there are better rods for the $$ than the GL2. The X4 is what it is and I won't argue it, but from a pure performance standpoint (sensitivity especially) in that price range ($400 or less--look in the right place), the NRX will blow the above mentioned away.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am

I am a huge fan of Dobyns rods but if money was not an issue I would get the Megabass just to try one. All but the GL2 are top notch but Megabass seems to be in a league of there own. I will also add that when I usually see a post asking what is the best rod for the money I usually see Powell, Dobyns Saavy, Phenix Recon, etc. Megabass is the ultimate in components and materials from what I have read so I would assume that money is not a concern when buying one of these beauties.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 am

Alright new rod in the line up here.... Im now debating between a ZOMBIE ROD, MEGABASS F4.5, or a DOBYNS EXTREME. The only thing keeping me back from the zombie rod is that they dont have a MXF OR MHXF...

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:19 am

wel if money isn't an issue then I would looking higher then a Orochi

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am

I am on buget..
Last edited by GotJDM on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:51 am

GotJDM wrote:I am on buget.. I found the zombies for 244. And a orchi for 325.. And extremes for 200 somrthing..

Where? :shock:

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Orochi of the ones you listed.

Might I suggest you look at the Shimano Cumulus 7'1" as an often overlooked option. NRX sensitivity (IMO) & feather light,
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:12 pm

What r the full specs on ALL of the zombie rods? sorry for a rediculus question... Asking cuz im not sure if tacklewarehouse has all of the rods listed. are the zombie rods almost comparable to the megabass rod?

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:27 pm

GLX843, I've handled the Black Elseil F4.5 X4 numerous times always came away feeling the same, nothing special. More of a moving bait rod IMO, Super Orochi is the rod you should be considering in the X4 line for the baits you mentioned.

ZRTJ
Angler
Angler

Post by ZRTJ » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 am

GotJDM wrote:What r the full specs on ALL of the zombie rods? sorry for a rediculus question... Asking cuz im not sure if tacklewarehouse has all of the rods listed. are the zombie rods almost comparable to the megabass rod?
Yes, TW does have ALL of the Zombies available. Our offerings are few but I can assure you that you will like each and every rod we offer as we put a lot of time and testing into each model.
Justin Fearn
"The Head Zombie"

evilash510
Angler
Angler

Post by evilash510 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:59 pm

I have had all the rods on your list . Right now I have zombies, I like the Balance and the power as well as the looks. Dobyns guys will probably jump me, but I had a couple of problems with the Kigan guides on them being chipped when I got them brand new , I liked the rods themselves just not the guides. Megabass are great but I dont think you will find them at the price that you found the zombie at. I would also like to mention that I broke one of my zombies in a car door a few weeks ago , i called justin and told him what happened. he said no problem and sent me a new rod even though I told him it was my fault that the rod got broken. I have had to do alot more to replace rods that had "lifetime" warrantys than that. 8-)