Rod Help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ks cranker
Angler
Angler

Rod Help

Post by ks cranker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm

Ok, guys what did I miss?

Last year everyone question that asked about "what rod should I get" was answered with some form of Dobyns Rod, now it seems every answer gets some sort of Phenix rod. What happened to everyone? :doh:

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rod Help

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 pm

There is an extraordinary tidal force that especially effects TT members.

It would be fascinating to have access to all the old forum data (sadly lost) and to track post counts for rod manufactures as their popularity ebbs and flows.

How many Dobyns guys sold all their Loomis stuff a few years back and went all in on Kistlers? :-#

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm

There are still fans of Dobyns rods on the forum. I'm one of them.....

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:39 pm

civicrr wrote:There are still fans of Dobyns rods on the forum. I'm one of them.....
X2 :big grin:

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:00 pm

ks cranker wrote:Last year everyone question that asked about "what rod should I get" was answered with some form of Dobyns Rod, now it seems every answer gets some sort of Phenix rod.
The reason so many recommendations seem skewed toward the Dobyns and Phenix lines is due to geography:

1. Both companies are regional successes and as such, their product is available at local retailers to see and feel in person. More stocking dealers = more word-of-mouth recommendations and positive posts in the fishing forums.
2. Tackle Tour and a good number of forum members are located in these two companies' backyards, hence it seems the post counts lean heavily toward Dobyns and Phenix.

(Product quality and customer service also play a huge part, of course)

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Have you seen the Dobyns DX and Phenix Recon rods?

JDM styling on USDM rods....they are by far the most attractive current production rods. Besides the fact that they are great rods they are one of the few US rod making companies trying to make their rods look as good as they fish.

As far as Dobyns vs Phenix I think it's pretty simple.
Dobyns DX came out a couple years ago with JDM styles on a high quality blank, a lot of people picked them up, love them and shared their experiences.
Recon came out this year with JDM styles on a good quality blank at a KILLER price, guys are just starting to pick them up, love them and are just starting to share there experiences.
And next Rod company to make waves will take the Recon's spot. But I have a strong feeling the US market is starting to expect their rods to have Great style to go along with high quality. Not just have every rod with full cork handles with a plastic butt cap and 2-3" fore grips.........like this.......

If you don't work for/are sponsored by/hold stock in/own a Rod company then why would you ever just fish or recommend 1 rod company.
I would love to own at least one rod from every company. Can't wait to see who's going to step up the game next.

P.S. I have a bunch of DX's and LOVE them also can't wait to get my hands on a Recon.
MegabassUSA.com

heatmiser
Angler
Angler

Post by heatmiser » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Pro staffers getting active on forums. Marketing at it's finest.

:-$

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:17 am

Phenix is the hot rod right now because it has great components and a good build and is priced very well. As far as pro staff pushing product here or anywhere else, the consumers of these products make the ultimate decision and if something is over hyped it doesn't take long for people to catch on and spread the word. A good example of this is the NRX.

ZRTJ
Angler
Angler

Post by ZRTJ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 pm

With the power of an online presence with active online pro staff, it's been really hard not to start a pro staff at Zombie... really hard ;)
Justin Fearn
"The Head Zombie"

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:26 pm

ZRTJ wrote:With the power of an online presence with active online pro staff, it's been really hard not to start a pro staff at Zombie... really hard ;)
Seems like you have some fans on this forum already.

Personally, I like fishing different rods just to see what is out there. The only problem with that is that you have to have the $$ to do it. Seems like $$ are somewhat limited for me compared to a couple of years ago.

Sometimes being responsible just isn't any fun. :lol:

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:41 am

Great question... I've been a big supporter of Phenix these last few months, before that Powells for the last three years... I've got nothing bad to say about powell rods, and my main reason for switching is that i love the way the Phenix rods look and feel for my styles of fishing.

And here's my philosophy... My name isn't Reese or Van Dam and I pay for my stuff like everyone else. I'm not rich, and have bills, like everyone else. I also fish tournaments regional Pro-Ams, Teams, and this year my first FLW Everstart... So i need the best my budget can allow and that suits my needs... which is i need a lot of rods, because i don't like re-tying and prefer having a rod and reel for the situation, than having to cut one bait off for another.

I fished the CA Delta the last 3 days straight and I just feel more comfortable fishing with the Recons. I've gotten a few MBXs, but the Recon is where it's at for me... Great Value, great feel.

Anyhow i hope that helps explain things for me... it's not about which company gives me the best deal, it's about getting the most for my dollar. I think the Phenix recons are it... If i win the lottery, i'll be Megabass all the way... I miss my MB rods :cry:
Last edited by robchik04 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
robchik.com

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:55 pm

civicrr wrote:Sometimes being responsible just isn't any fun. :lol:
i'm VERY responsible. very responsible for buying a boatload of tackle. :big grin: :big grin: :big grin:

Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Str8upirish » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 pm

I agree with Rob, I'm just like everybody out here, wife,kids, house, job and bills. I was fishing with the MBX's because my BP and Daiwa where tearing up my shoulders. The MBX's were much lighter, then the Recons came out they were light and had a lower price point. I liked Phenix quality so I started purchasing the Recons. So far these rods live up to all the hype.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:36 pm

bstuckey wrote:
civicrr wrote:There are still fans of Dobyns rods on the forum. I'm one of them.....
X3, and in no one's backyard...except for St Croix's, I guess.

Yes, I heard about Dobyns here first. Glad I did, as they are great products, fairly priced. And the Dobyns folks provide some of the best customer service in any industry.

The fish in the back yard up here will affirm I am no pro staffer, btw :big grin:

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 pm

WoodT wrote:
bstuckey wrote:
X3, and in no one's backyard...except for St Croix's, I guess.

Yes, I heard about Dobyns here first. Glad I did, as they are great products, fairly priced. And the Dobyns folks provide some of the best customer service in any industry.

The fish in the back yard up here will affirm I am no pro staffer, btw :big grin:
x4