The Abu Villain Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: The Abu Villain Rods

Post by 21farms » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:13 am

Snidley wrote:Is the Villan the prototype rod that the boys from Tackle Tour saw 2 ICAST's ago in some back room? I remember them saying it was hush hush but their impressions were that it was a high end product for small $$ (a combination near and dear to my heart :lol: :lol: )
nope, that was the verdict (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewicast09abu2010.html). kinda funny how hotly the verdict was anticipated but really didn't make much of splash when it actually touched down.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:43 am

I certainly have not heard glowing reports on Verdict rods although I have never held one. Up here in Canada we seldom see any of these offerings including most of the Rapala Canadian Domestic Market rods covered here on TT... AND I live in Toronto, Canada's largest city. Could the new Villan rods be even higher end rods than the prototypes shown to the TT staffers 2 years ago. Inquiring minds want to know since I'm in the market for a longish rod to throw large crankbaits ....too 30lb Salmon and 12lb Steelheads.
Just spent a few minutes watching video and looking at other info on these rods and they sound incredible for $139. Has anyone held or used the 7'6" or the 8' casting rods. Just wondering if they would be any good throwing large crankbaits like Rapala J 13 swimbaits or Wiggle Warts/Mag Wiggle Warts for big fish like salmon. I already have a Fenwick Techna 7' 9" HF which is essentially a flippin stick. It's a great rod for spoons and ok for J-13's but it's not the greatest for real crankbaits and it's too stout for when I have to go for lighter line in clearer water. Just wondering how forgiving these new Villans are.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Snidley wrote:I certainly have not heard glowing reports on Verdict rods although I have never held one. Up here in Canada we seldom see any of these offerings including most of the Rapala Canadian Domestic Market rods covered here on TT... AND I live in Toronto, Canada's largest city. Could the new Villan rods be even higher end rods than the prototypes shown to the TT staffers 2 years ago. Inquiring minds want to know since I'm in the market for a longish rod to throw large crankbaits ....too 30lb Salmon and 12lb Steelheads.
Just spent a few minutes watching video and looking at other info on these rods and they sound incredible for $139. Has anyone held or used the 7'6" or the 8' casting rods. Just wondering if they would be any good throwing large crankbaits like Rapala J 13 swimbaits or Wiggle Warts/Mag Wiggle Warts for big fish like salmon. I already have a Fenwick Techna 7' 9" HF which is essentially a flippin stick. It's a great rod for spoons and ok for J-13's but it's not the greatest for real crankbaits and it's too stout for when I have to go for lighter line in clearer water. Just wondering how forgiving these new Villans are.
I think its going to be marketed as a higher end rod. I only say that because I got the new issue of Bassmaster in the mail today and one of the ads in there is for the MGX and the Villian rods. I would think they wouldnt put a $350 reel in the same ad as say a $90 rod but Im not a magazine marketing rep so what do I know.

team510
Angler
Angler

Post by team510 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

im a big fan of all the abu rods! they have a really good feel to them. i think most have SIC guides wich i like becuase i fish braid 90% of the time

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:31 am

Snidley wrote:I certainly have not heard glowing reports on Verdict rods although I have never held one. Up here in Canada we seldom see any of these offerings including most of the Rapala Canadian Domestic Market rods covered here on TT... AND I live in Toronto, Canada's largest city. Could the new Villan rods be even higher end rods than the prototypes shown to the TT staffers 2 years ago. Inquiring minds want to know since I'm in the market for a longish rod to throw large crankbaits ....too 30lb Salmon and 12lb Steelheads.
I have read one report that's says they are on the stiff side. I don't know the model or any spec's of the rod they were talking about though.
"Both are pretty stiff for DS rods. All these rods seem stiff for the action listed"

Above is the comment. That comment doesn't surprise me. I think all these new Abu's are on the stiff side.

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:33 am

The price I saw was $179.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 am

There is an etailer in Alabama selling them for $139. He's on Bassboatcentral

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:24 am

LPFC wrote:
I have read one report that's says they are on the stiff side. I don't know the model or any spec's of the rod they were talking about though.
"Both are pretty stiff for DS rods. All these rods seem stiff for the action listed"

Above is the comment. That comment doesn't surprise me. I think all these new Abu's are on the stiff side.
That "one report" was by someone who never fished the rod because I saw that comment. As I responded to him, I will respond to you. That "stiffness" used to be called "backbone" and was a standard for getting a good hookset.
I used most of the Villain rods over a period of about 8 months and found them to possess what serious bass anglers look for, the ability to deliver fish-stopping hooksets. If I was using 1/32 and 1/16 oz jigs on 6lb test or 5" boottail swimbaits on 50lb braid or weightless 6" lizards on 12lb test, the result was the same, the fish was in the boat.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 am

Johnny I'm eyeballing the 7'6" MH Fast action or the 8' H Medium fast action. First off would you consider these rods as flippin' rods or are they more like swimbait, jig or frog style rods. Like I said I have a good quality flippin stick that is great for spoons and swimbaits using heavy leader (20-30lb) but sometimes I have to go down to 12-15lb flurocarbon to get Steelhead and Salmon to bite so I need some forgivness especially at the top of the rod. The best rod for this application that I have ever handled is the St Croix 7'10" Legend Tournament Magnum Cranker, a hard to get expensive rod up here in Canada.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:48 am

Snidley wrote:Johnny I'm eyeballing the 7'6" MH Fast action or the 8' H Medium fast action. First off would you consider these rods as flippin' rods or are they more like swimbait, jig or frog style rods. Like I said I have a good quality flippin stick that is great for spoons and swimbaits using heavy leader (20-30lb) but sometimes I have to go down to 12-15lb flurocarbon to get Steelhead and Salmon to bite so I need some forgivness especially at the top of the rod. The best rod for this application that I have ever handled is the St Croix 7'10" Legend Tournament Magnum Cranker, a hard to get expensive rod up here in Canada.
The 7'6" was not part of my field survey, so I can't give you an answer on that particular rod. I did get to use the 8' H Med Fast rod. At first I wasn't sure about the application, flippin' or swimbait? I tried it at both and it did well at both. The swimbaits I used were the Strike King and Power Bait 5" shad. I could cast them a good distance, the rear grip is long enough to get an almost two handed cast and they had enough sensitivity to detect the action of the bait.
Then I used it as a flippin' stick, 1/2 oz OSP Zero One jig w/Havoc Devil's Spear trailer. The first trip out, I was using braid. It was the trip I decided not to use braid for flippin' any more. It doesn't transmit strikes while the line is limp, only when the line is taut.
I gave it a second shot with 25 lb flouro and the same baits listed above. I wasn't sure about the Med-Fast action, I preferred fast action for flippin' but I'm a convert. I was able to detect the strike of a bass sucking that bait in as soon as it slipped off the lily pad and into the depths beneath. No exaggeration, it was like the rod and I were like a machine. The flex of the rod acted like a shock absorber. You know when a bass hits a jig, you respond quickly but you miss the hookset? With the med-fast the bass just hung there as I set the hook. I moved, the rod moved, the fish moved. The two bass I have pictured above were caught about a half hour apart, both are 4 lbs and a few oz each. I would call the action on the 8' rod about a foot and a half short of parabolic. If the bend were that further down.
If you're in no hurry (within a week or so) to purchase the rod, I can set the rod up with 15lb test and the deepest crankbait I have and a lipless crank and see how it works out. I can't guarantee a fish but I can test the overall characteristics of the rod and get back to you.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:25 pm

That would be much appreciated Johnny. A softer or moderate tip would be just the ticket I think. I'm also thinking that this year I'm going to try some of the new Paycheck Nosejob swim jigs on some of the swamps around here in summer. Again a longer rod with backbone but still not an outright broomstick would be the ticket for that application as well think. I await your analysis Johnny and thanks again for your input.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 am

LPFC wrote:

Me and my buddy have held the 6'6" medium at last months ise show in sacramento and it was on the stiffer side but the rod looks nice and everything. I cant comment on the rest since that was the only one i was looking at.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:03 pm

I just noticed Tackle Warehouse finally has them for sale. They've definitely got that bling factor.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 am

so johnny are these rods stiffer like the other abu rods? could the 7'1" med/mod replace a 7'2" mh steez flexlite or would it be a little weak for 12'+ cranks?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Jason Penn wrote:so johnny are these rods stiffer like the other abu rods? could the 7'1" med/mod replace a 7'2" mh steez flexlite or would it be a little weak for 12'+ cranks?
I'll get to the "stiffer" part in a few sentences. I never used the Flex-lite rods, only the standard Steez models, 6'3", 6'9" and 7'1". I did use the 7'1" med/mod Villain with Bomber 7As, OSP Blitz Maxes and Imakatsu IK 180s and 250s which all run in the 9'-13" ballpark without any problems. The rod was sensitive, didn't buckle under load and kept fish hooked.
On the stiffer part, I don't think the Abu rods are any stiffer than Daiwa, Falcon or St. Croix, but that's how it feels to me. Beside the rod brands listed, I've used Megabass and Evergreen. Many of the rods in those lines could be considered less stiff but there are even a few rods from those companies that have some power to them.