NRX Model Advice

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX Model Advice

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:54 am

just seems all the negative propaganda is counter productive.

as you stated its a crap shoot and we all know the House always wins. so why risk it? with so may choices out there.

I too a had a malfunction with my 852S even though Bantam stated that there where no spin rods sent back. I paid $350 for mine and I sold my BSR852 and paid a buck and some change for the NRX.

IMO even though I paid $25 to ship it out I'm still ahead of the game money wise.

You could always have an inferior blank look pretty in a custom and convince yourself its better than an NRX.

to those who have fished an NRX know what a pleasure it is to fish and fight fish on. to those have bashed Loomis and never fished a NRX are missing out.

But that is just my humble opinion.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:26 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:to those who have fished an NRX know what a pleasure it is to fish and fight fish on. to those have bashed Loomis and never fished a NRX are missing out.
I totally second this statement! I had several fish that I have foul hooked with my nrx. Certainly felt something at the end of the line. Guess the fish was investigating the lure with its body unfortunately it impressionable with an NRX and thus got a hook set by me.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:17 pm

phiten wrote:
BASSLAYER wrote:to those who have fished an NRX know what a pleasure it is to fish and fight fish on. to those have bashed Loomis and never fished a NRX are missing out.
I totally second this statement! I had several fish that I have foul hooked with my nrx. Certainly felt something at the end of the line. Guess the fish was investigating the lure with its body unfortunately it impressionable with an NRX and thus got a hook set by me.

Sorry to OP for jacking your thread.

Oh and before I forget to those that slander Loomis without ever fishing one of their GLX's or NRX's or saying that Loomis aint Loomis since Gary left are strokin. those in sales know what i'm talking about. :whistle:

as if a custom lamiglass is better :talk hand:
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 pm

No apologies needed. I am a performance based person and not an aesthetics based person, so I am in complete agreement with you. I have the NRX Drop Shot rod and just the pure joy of fishing that thing outweighs any slightly misaligned guide or a nonprestine guide thread. I ended up ordered two more NRX instead of just one.

By the way, has anyone used The Hook-Up Tackle's trade in program towards a new NRX? That's what I ended up doing, but I am little nervious about the whole thing.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 pm

BASSLAYER wrote:just seems all the negative propaganda is counter productive.
Propaganda? Have you seen any of the pictures we've been posting? That makes it a FACT, not propaganda.
as you stated its a crap shoot and we all know the House always wins. so why risk it? with so may choices out there.
Again? Okay, the blanks are wonderful to fish with. It's just too bad the build quality of an Ugly Stick at WalMart is better.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:15 pm

jeb wrote:I got these 2 new ones via the THUT trade up deal that is mentioned in the Hot Deals forum here. I got 2 green NRX spinning rods this time, 822DSR and 822SYR. My first spinning NRX's. They did come last night and got a careful going over, as you can imagine. The green color is not "in your face". It's fairly subdued, at least under artificial light. And that's a good thing. But we'll see if they become over the top green in the sun. I'm not big on looks of stuff, but if I had to pick, I'd say I like the blue better.

Lack of QC is alive and well in the green rods, too. I'll try to take and post some pictures in the next few days. Not as bad as a lot of others, but some stuff like the glue line around the tip of the foregrip being a mess on one and some very tiny bubbles in the epoxy on one guide. Nothing bad enough (this time) to warrant going through the hassle of sending them in for exchanges, though. These are probably about as good as it gets coming out of Loomis these days, unfortunately.

The blanks are wonderful to fish with. But the build quality and inspection process is still severely lacking.
Thank you so much for the information!!!

I have 2 Blue NRX bc rods at the moment and I am thinking of getting the 822S DSR this year and I will be looking forward to hearing the inputs on the green one.

Regards,
Wirinhar

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:49 am

BASSLAYER wrote: or saying that Loomis aint Loomis since Gary left are strokin
Hmm, You should listen to the Itinerant Angler podcast interview with Gary Loomis. I think he would have something to say about your statement. He was pretty clear that part of the reason he ended his involvement in Loomis prior to the end of his contract, was that Shimano had started cutting corners and the employees were having to decide between doing what they were told to do and doing things right.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:01 am

Downloading the podcast now. Thanks for the heads up about it.

My 2 Green NRX spinning rods have been fine so far. No problems with either one, beyond the build issues I already posted on one of them. The green color is fine. I was afraid it would go reflective green in the sun, but it does not. I still kind of prefer the blue, but really don't care much one way or the other. Performance is fine, too. I don't think they are that much better than my Loomis GLX spinning rods, but they are a little lighter.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 am

No prob, its a really good podcast but its focused on flyfishing. I don't flyfish, and I've listened to every podcast because it's well done and interesting. Not enough good fishing podcasts out there.

Sorry OP, totally unrelated here. Though I think you've made up your mind on the NRX model you want so I'm guessing your done with this thread. :D