Cumara VS Zillion Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cumara VS Zillion Rod

Post by GotJDM » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:41 am

Witch do you guys think is a better value between a 7'2 MXF Cumara Or a 7' MXF Zillion? Giving out 100% performance? I was thinking on trying out the zillion rods but i really Love my Cumara, is the Cumara EVEN COMPARABLE to the Zillion?
Double Digit Lure Company.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Cumara VS Zillion Rod

Post by GotJDM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:28 pm

i was planning on selling my cumara to get a zillion rod. Will it be worth it?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

I've owned quite a few Cumara Rods (Five to be exact - 7'2" MHXF, (Two) 7'2" MHF, 7'2" MXF, 6'8" MXF), sold them all, and have switched to Zillions of the same actions. I was very hesitant to buy a Zillion because I thought I found a perfect Sub $250 Rod at last with the Cumaras, that met all my needs, without braking the bank, yet surpassed all my expectations of $300+ rods. But after fishing and owning the 7'0" MXF and 6'9" MHXF Rods, I was sold. Here are the pro's for the Zillion as I have found out...

1) Zillions have JDM'esque feel and characteristics
2) Zillions are lighter and more sensative. I was not a big proponent of Daiwa's HVF and SVF graphite but was blown away by thier Torque, twist, and power yet still maintaining the light and sensative graphite. The Cumara's with thier IM10 Graphite are very good but the HVF Graphite are great.
3) Zaion reel seat at first was "meh!" but now, I wished all my rods had this reel seat. Probably the most comfortable. I have had all the rods with all the Fuji reel seats and the Zaion is tops on my list.
4) The Fuji SIC Guides are better quality guides than what you would find on sub $300 rods. The only other guides that are better than these are, Titanium with SIC inserts.

If you are a big JDM person, the Zillions Rods have that feel to them and more. For half the price of the Steez Rods, I think the Zillion Rods, made from almost the same graphite, are a much better buy. Even my Gloomis GL3, GLX, and St. Croix LTB's are not as good.

My 2Cents.....
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:02 am

Buck, thanks for voicing your opinion. I have 2 Zillion rods, but haven't tried either with bottom baits. I felt my Cumara 7'2" MH Fast was my most sensitive rod. I wanted to get the same rod except Xfast for bottom baits. Maybe I'll have to rethink that. Especially since the majority of my reels are Daiwas. :D

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:34 am

new2BC4bass wrote:Buck, thanks for voicing your opinion. I have 2 Zillion rods, but haven't tried either with bottom baits. I felt my Cumara 7'2" MH Fast was my most sensitive rod. I wanted to get the same rod except Xfast for bottom baits. Maybe I'll have to rethink that. Especially since the majority of my reels are Daiwas. :D
I think you will be surprised by the Zillions. The Zillion XF rods are as sensative as they get and maybe almost as sensative as Steez rods especially the Zillion Medium XF rods. I have fished alot of bottom contact/Trigger rods and by far the Zillion Rods have blown away all other rods I have used, againg, from St.Croix LTB's to Gloomis GL3's - GLX's. The Zaion Reel Seat hugs and makes the reel feel and sit lower on the rod. I have tried Curado's to Revo's on the Zillion Rod's Reel Seat, and again, same effect. The Reel feels lower and more palmable and more comfortable. The Zillion Rods are perfect match for the Zillion Reels as well as any Daiwa reel. Daiwa's Zaion Reel Seat is that good. Some don't like it but perhaps its just the JDM'esque in me that loves this unique reel seat.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Hmmm... this is the first time I've heard anyone say that the Zillion is lighter than the Cumara. :-k

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:I've owned quite a few Cumara Rods (Five to be exact - 7'2" MHXF, (Two) 7'2" MHF, 7'2" MXF, 6'8" MXF), sold them all, and have switched to Zillions of the same actions. I was very hesitant to buy a Zillion because I thought I found a perfect Sub $250 Rod at last with the Cumaras, that met all my needs, without braking the bank, yet surpassed all my expectations of $300+ rods. But after fishing and owning the 7'0" MXF and 6'9" MHXF Rods, I was sold. Here are the pro's for the Zillion as I have found out...

1) Zillions have JDM'esque feel and characteristics
2) Zillions are lighter and more sensative. I was not a big proponent of Daiwa's HVF and SVF graphite but was blown away by thier Torque, twist, and power yet still maintaining the light and sensative graphite. The Cumara's with thier IM10 Graphite are very good but the HVF Graphite are great.
3) Zaion reel seat at first was "meh!" but now, I wished all my rods had this reel seat. Probably the most comfortable. I have had all the rods with all the Fuji reel seats and the Zaion is tops on my list.
4) The Fuji SIC Guides are better quality guides than what you would find on sub $300 rods. The only other guides that are better than these are, Titanium with SIC inserts.

If you are a big JDM person, the Zillions Rods have that feel to them and more. For half the price of the Steez Rods, I think the Zillion Rods, made from almost the same graphite, are a much better buy. Even my Gloomis GL3, GLX, and St. Croix LTB's are not as good.

My 2Cents.....
I appreciate your reply. Thanks for this useful information. I must find more answers before moving from my Cumara.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:54 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:Buck, thanks for voicing your opinion. I have 2 Zillion rods, but haven't tried either with bottom baits. I felt my Cumara 7'2" MH Fast was my most sensitive rod. I wanted to get the same rod except Xfast for bottom baits. Maybe I'll have to rethink that. Especially since the majority of my reels are Daiwas. :D
I have a 7'2 M XF Cumara, and it is very sensitive. I use it for bottom contact baits, and it is by far the most sensitive rod ive fished for bottom contact baits. Im very impressed with its performance, you should give this rod a shot. :mrgreen: