Another NRX QC issue

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Another NRX QC issue

Post by jeb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:57 am

Got my new NRX893 JWR from Tackle Warehouse last night. Package was in perfect shape, as usual. Gave it a good going over since I've had troubles with every one of my NRX's so far. I didn't have to look too hard to see this, though:

Scratches around lowest guide area

What is the saying? Insanity means doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? But ShimLoomis keeps saying they have the issues fixed, so it's a bit frustrating to see this. The lower scratches go all the way around the shaft. It's like they moved the first guide up on the shaft and ground the old glue off or something. Just hard to believe they keep putting this crap out there with a $500 price tag.

I was planning on having it on the water tomorrow, but it looks like I better do an exchange with TW or ShimLoomis. I'm afraid the shaft will break the first time I hook a good fish at this point. And I'd hate to have to use my Wildcard on another of their issues.

:evil:

QuitLookinAtMyItos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Another NRX QC issue

Post by QuitLookinAtMyItos » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:07 am

Send it back. For $500, I would definitely expect better quality and craftsmanship than this. ](*,) :doh: Looks as if the epoxy finish has an air void that will not directly affect the blank, but is still an eyesore and you know it is there and will always have the blemish in the back of your mind while fishing it.

This reason and the other reasons discussed in previous threads confirm that I won't be purchasing any NRXs, nor will be purchasing any in the future.
JDM quality is unsurpassed. Period.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 am

QuitLookinAtMyItos wrote:Send it back. For $500, I would definitely expect better quality and craftsmanship than this. ](*,) :doh: Looks as if the epoxy finish has an air void that will not directly affect the blank, but is still an eyesore and you know it is there and will always have the blemish in the back of your mind while fishing it.
It is an eyesore. And I'm really not that picky about stuff like that. But this one is pretty bad.
This reason and the other reasons discussed in previous threads confirm that I won't be purchasing any NRXs, nor will be purchasing any in the future.
Sure can't blame you there. Great rod blanks, horrible build quality.

Loomis is closed "for the holidays". Sent the picture into TW. We'll see what they say.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:25 am

Should have bought a green one
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 am

just got my replacement in for the foregrip problem. now the 2nd gen with a bad cracking epoxy. this sucks alot cause now i hope they pay shipping both ways. If not then there goes 60 bucks :shock:

Last edited by Mang on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:47 pm

I was going to get one next season but that is out the door, I may be missing out but the way my luck runs all I'll be doing is exchanging rod after rod and I don't have time for that. I understand they stand behind them but I'm not good dealing with being frustrated and the problems you guys are encountering would really frustrate me so Ill do without, no big deal.
Barlow's Tackle

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:04 pm

falcon wrote:Should have bought a green one
No offense, but are you suggesting that the green ones somehow magically don't have the issues the blue ones do? Are they not coming out of the same factory?

Sorry to see your rod has issues too, Mang.

Still no word from TW after sending them the picture they asked for. Said they'd get back to me today. Hope so.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Jeb, I think he was being more sarcastic and joking when he said, should have got a green one! But I may be wrong. :-k
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Could be Vince. I didn't see any smilies or the like, but some folks don't always use them.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Just keeps getting better. TW agrees it's a defect that should not be there. But they are not doing anything at all to hurry the return/exchange process along. They are sending me a hardcopy UPS ground return label. They don't have the ability to email those like many good retailers do these days, so a few days to get that. After which, I send the old rod back. When they get the old rod in and process it, they'll finally send my new rod out, you guessed it, via UPS ground. So I'm figuring 3 weeks or there abouts to turn it around. So much for the 2 day shipping I paid for!

Thanks a lot ShimLoomis. Great stuff you make your customers deal with on your high end rods.

I purchased all my other NRX's through my local dealer. And he's done an over the counter exchange on all the issues I've had so far. Not sure saving the $100 on this via TW is worth it at this point.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:50 pm

Being a dealer he should be able to help you out on this situation even if you didn't buy from him.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

got2be5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by got2be5 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm

TW salesmen told me this summer they were going to change this policy to something more user friendly.Guess they forgot?

got2be5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by got2be5 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Oh ya im 200+ miles from the nearest G LOOM store,had to settle on a couple because of the hassle.For the money its just not right but what do you do?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:06 pm

jeb wrote:Got my new NRX893 JWR from Tackle Warehouse last night. Package was in perfect shape, as usual. Gave it a good going over since I've had troubles with every one of my NRX's so far. I didn't have to look too hard to see this, though:

Scratches around lowest guide area

What is the saying? Insanity means doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? But ShimLoomis keeps saying they have the issues fixed, so it's a bit frustrating to see this. The lower scratches go all the way around the shaft. It's like they moved the first guide up on the shaft and ground the old glue off or something. Just hard to believe they keep putting this crap out there with a $500 price tag.

I was planning on having it on the water tomorrow, but it looks like I better do an exchange with TW or ShimLoomis. I'm afraid the shaft will break the first time I hook a good fish at this point. And I'd hate to have to use my Wildcard on another of their issues.

:evil:
Looks to me like they moved the guide at least once. Not what you want for a brand new rod...this wasn't one of the TW specials that they have on liquidation was it?

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:34 pm

defineately looks like a rewrap, you can still see the thread lines in the left over finish. POOR!!