Jerkbait Spinning Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LITTLE T
Angler
Angler

Jerkbait Spinning Rod

Post by LITTLE T » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:53 pm

I need a good quality jerkbait rod for throwing light Luckycraft Pointer DD 65.What is some suggestions on which rod to get?

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Jerkbait Spinning Rod

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:02 pm

well, i'm not the most experienced guy on this board, that's for sure but ... i use a SMR751S - SP (i've noticed we all use model numbers here).

i'd call it a g loomis bronzeback series 6'3" light action spinning rod though. :lol:
1-2%

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:11 pm

i like a moderate action rod for my jerkbaits, that being said. i have a st croix legend tournament walleye series "deep cranker" tws70mhm, 7'0" medium heavy / moderate. i throw everything from rapala clackin minnow 11's to size 5 berkely flicker shads on it and it handles them all great. (i dont have any pointer 65's...but it handles the 78's great)

if that seems a bit heavy they also make a tws70mm, same rod just a medium power, rated below st croixs other medium though, if i recall correctly like 1/8-3/8oz, something like that.

the problem with these rods is that when they updated the rods for 2012 they took the two "crankers" out fo the line up. should still be some around, though, if you can find one they are pretty solid rods!

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Phenix makes ther X9, X10, and X12 craikning rods in a very nice spinning version. The X10S works great for the small pointers, TD minnows, and litlle reaplas! Check them out http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7 Maybe even time to still get one at a Black Friday Sale!

Vince
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:19 am

I like casting rods for jerkbaits but I don't throw anything smaller than a Pointer 78 or X-Rap 08 so I don't have a need for spinning. That said I think you should look for a rod that fits how you like to wok the bait, for example, I notice some that go with 7' rods for jerkbaits, if I used a rod that long for jerkbaits it would be nothing but splashing around the boat as I like to use sharp downward strokes and anything over 6'6" would be hard to use. The other thing is you want to use those deep divers, thats fine but if you go with a moderate action rod the bait is going to dictate how it gets used instead of you, what I mean is that the rod tip will load up so much it'll take a little bit of time to recover on the pause so you aren't going to be able to work the bait all that fast unless you use a steady retrieve. So based on that I would tell you to try the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth spinning rods, there is a 6'3" Medium power fast action that would work nicely and there is also a 6'9" Medium Light fast action that would be a nice rod for thorwing up to a 78 but it has a little longer length and softer action. I think you'd be happy, you can get them for a little over a $100 and they are a good rod, I have one and I love it, one of the best rod purchases I ever made and it has a lifetime warranty, can't beat that!
Barlow's Tackle

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:12 am

2 power sjr.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:25 am

A popping rod, sometimes called an inshore rod.

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:55 am

I agree a Loomis popping rod are great but not spinning. A PR844C or a PR8400C for 78 pointers.