rod for 3/8oz flat-sided cranks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

rod for 3/8oz flat-sided cranks

Post by spookybaits » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Hey dudes!
Im currently expanding my one-size-fits-all cranking rod status and shopping for a rod dedicated to throwing small stuff, 1/4oz-3/8oz cranks with 3/8oz flat-sided cranks being the focus. I hate to rule out Dobyns(as i'm currently using & loving a 705cb glass) but I have to keep it sub $200. Spent too much on the reel :D. I like glass for cranks but was told graphite is better for the smaller stuff?
Some of the rods i'm considering are the: Shimano crucial crankbait med lt, Lucky Craft fat mini magic, Powell 704cb & Powell endurance 724cb, but I'm open to anything.
What would you guys go with? All advice & suggestions much appreciated!

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: rod for 3/8oz flat-sided cranks

Post by Vince Borges » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I would take a look at the Phenix X10. http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=7
There is a review of it here on Tackle Choice if you do a search. It got the Editors Choice. It is a composit rod. So you get the forgiveness of a glass tip for deflection and hook-ups but blends to a high quality TORAY carbin fiber for power and sensitivity! It is right at your price range with a $199.00 MSRP but I'm sure if you look or wait you can find one on sale with all the holiday sales coming up! ;)
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 pm

spookybaits wrote:Hey dudes!
Im currently expanding my one-size-fits-all cranking rod status and shopping for a rod dedicated to throwing small stuff, 1/4oz-3/8oz cranks with 3/8oz flat-sided cranks being the focus. I hate to rule out Dobyns(as i'm currently using & loving a 705cb glass) but I have to keep it sub $200. Spent too much on the reel :D. I like glass for cranks but was told graphite is better for the smaller stuff?
Some of the rods i'm considering are the: Shimano crucial crankbait med lt, Lucky Craft fat mini magic, Powell 704cb & Powell endurance 724cb, but I'm open to anything.
What would you guys go with? All advice & suggestions much appreciated!
You can get your Dobyns for under $200 here.............http://www.thehookuptackle.com/

I like the 704cb glass for flat sided cranks 3/8oz and under.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Phippy wrote:
You can get your Dobyns for under $200 here.............http://www.thehookuptackle.com/

I like the 704cb glass for flat sided cranks 3/8oz and under.
Black November sale!!!!

I like the Dobyns 704CB for the lighter baits. I find the 704CB Glass too moderate for my taste. The 704CB Glass isn't a 'fast' action like 705CB Glass. It is much more moderate.

While the 'old' Crucial was a definite solid value, I don't have any experience with the updated models.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:28 am

civicrr, do you know the power difference between the two 705cb glass rods, fast and moderate? I really appreciate the softness of the 704cb glass when a 4-6lb smallie is on the other end. Just curious if the moderate 705cb glass is similar with just a tough more muscle. I have the fast version all ready and thought about adding the moderate to my lineup as I cannot get enough cranking sticks on my boat. :big grin:

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:55 am

Phippy wrote:civicrr, do you know the power difference between the two 705cb glass rods, fast and moderate? I really appreciate the softness of the 704cb glass when a 4-6lb smallie is on the other end. Just curious if the moderate 705cb glass is similar with just a tough more muscle. I have the fast version all ready and thought about adding the moderate to my lineup as I cannot get enough cranking sticks on my boat. :big grin:
I wouldn't say that the 705CBMF is less powerful. It is more how each gets to the max power that is different. The 705CBMF fishes like the big brother of the 704CB Glass. Softer tip & more moderate action than the 705CB Glass.
If you ask me, the 705CB Glass has the stiffer TIP vs the 705CB and/or 705CBMF Glass.

705CBMF Glass & 704CB Glass both fish more like 'traditional' (soft) glass rods. Better sticks for small trebles!

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for the feedback guys, the Dobyns 704cb seems like a winner for this application but I'm still keen on that Powell endurance 724cb. I gotta little time to make up my mind still. BTD is about 30min away, i'm gonna see if they have the rods in stock to get a hand on assessment, hopefully they'll have an x10 to check out as well.