Favorite Long out of Production Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wtex55
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Favorite Long out of Production Rod?

Post by wtex55 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:39 am

IMG_2350.JPG
IMG_2350.JPG (85.61 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
Although I have several high dollar rods, one of my favorites is an old Berkley Series One IM-7 use for spinnerbaiting in tight brush. Though small, it is very stiff and has acceptable sensitivity. Because I have caught so many nice fish with that rod ( and because I am a sentimental old fool ) I had George Roth lengthen the grip by 3 inches and put a nice split grip and remove the stock foregrip.....in fact he did the same with a Crucial drop shot and a Loomis Cr 721.

If you still use a "golden oldie", share with us.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Favorite Long out of Production Rod?

Post by RIK » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Man what a wonder Series Ones were when they first came out. I still have a 6' M Fast Series One I use jigging for walleyes. I'd hate to know how many hundreds of walleyes I've caught on the thing. It's certainly been passed by and then some, but it's still a standby.

Another rod, which I sadly no longer have, was a 7' Fenwick World Class, when Fenwick was still the top of the heap rod wise. It was my first step up from the cheapie $30 rods, and it was awesome for its time.

All-time though would be the Sage 569 muskie blank. One of the best muskie rods ever made, and the first to make the break from pool cue to real, high end fishing tool. Long out of production, and I broke my last one two seasons ago. :crying:

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Thats funny I read the title and first thing that came to mind was late 80's Berkley Series Ones!! Those rods were years ahead of the industry at that time. Super light and sensitive. In fact I may even still have a couple. I remember my wife bought me my first one in 1988!
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:15 pm

I also had one of the original Series One rods; a 6' M or MH and it was a great vertical jig walleye rod and a very good bass plastics rod. I wrapped some solder around the split grip for a little better balance. Always looking for that edge! Great rods in their day!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 pm

wtex55 wrote:
IMG_2350.JPG
Although I have several high dollar rods, one of my favorites is an old Berkley Series One IM-7 use for spinnerbaiting in tight brush. Though small, it is very stiff and has acceptable sensitivity. Because I have caught so many nice fish with that rod ( and because I am a sentimental old fool ) I had George Roth lengthen the grip by 3 inches and put a nice split grip and remove the stock foregrip.....in fact he did the same with a Crucial drop shot and a Loomis Cr 721.

If you still use a "golden oldie", share with us.
My brother in law has a couple of old Berkley's laying around. They made some of the stiffest, low diameter graphite ever...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Warrior Elite first generation with boron matrix, especially the 6'10" MHF...hand built in Maryland. So sad the company is long gone.

Original AllStar T38x...hand built and beautifully wrapped in Texas with Shikari blanks (IIRC)...just a great blank for all around moving bait work, especially the M and MH 6'6" models.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Berkley Stinger 100% Graphite 5'6" Pistol Grip. The rod is retired, I can't remember where it is.

Gary Roach 5'?" Lightening Rod Spinning. Man was this thing a great stick. I lost mine and a buddy has the rod, but won't sell it to me.
Bass Pundit Blog

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:19 am

Berkley Radial 100% Graphite Lightning Rod LR16-5'6" 3/8-3/4 oz. pistol grip. EVA handle and fore-grip, very light (4.02 ounces) and sensitive for an early 80's rod . These rods were like fishing a scalpel..amazingly accurate to use.
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:15 am

Remember the Berkeley Power Pole?
This rod still looks cool with its split rear handle :D
Attachments
powerpole.jpg
powerpole.jpg (43.97 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
Happiness is a sore thumb

wtex55
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wtex55 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:07 am

I had forgotten that one---thanks!

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:18 am

I was a huge fan of the Series One in the 80`s and early 90`s. The black foam handled models with the Accuflex blank with split grip and real small SIC guides were some of the finest rods I ever used. Had a boatload of them. Way ahead of there time. Unfortunately the skeleton reel seats failed too often. They then went to the full cork with foam foregrip still using the Accuflex blank which were still good rods. Then they changed to an IM7 and all cork and it was never the same although I still have a few hanging in the garage.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:45 pm

GLX FSR905X

All Star T40X Flipping Rod

Cameron Flipping Rod

Hard to pick one

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Fenwick Lunkerstik 2000 - Early 80s versions

Shimano Speedmaster Fightin' Rod - 6'6 and up versions

Loomis MBR series - Transitional configuration with Wiebe Super Sticker reel seat and Fuji Concept guides.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:22 pm

abu vectran pistol-grip...originally built for the black max 3600 series...amazingly sensitive for its time...amazingly brittle, as well.

berkley bionix...a journeyman's mbr783.

mbr783 wiebe.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:29 am

My vote goes to the original All Star SJ1 with a Pro Touch handle.. That stinking rod has magic built into it... Just ask my best friend who currently still has it on loan, of course.. He just doen't know it yet.. I've got a feeling though that the only way I'm getting it back is if he goes long before I do.. Then again, maybe not.. Knowing him he may be buried with the thing.... Bought that rod back in the late 80's I believe... :lol:
Pmedicbm