NRX vs Steez vs Megabass

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jayo123456
Angler
Angler

NRX vs Steez vs Megabass

Post by jayo123456 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 am

in terms of sensitivity, and pleasure to use....which is 'top of the line'?
would love to hear from those that have fished and/or own them.

i have an nrx and it's indescribale the sensitivty and pleasure to use, but have not fished a steez or MB. I wouldn't make a post recommending an NRX over the others.....know what I mean?

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX vs Steez vs Megabass

Post by white03 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:24 am

I don't know the answer Bro, but I'll be very interested in the responses :-k

ARH1956
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ARH1956 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 pm

I've found my NRX's the most sensitive and best overall rod of the three, with the MB & Steez rods a small step below them. On the flip side, the MB & Steez rods look way better than the NRX's. I have 4 NRX rods, 3 Steez rods & 2 MB's & I've owned a few other MB's & another Steez previously to help me form my opinion of these rods.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Can you really go wrong?

ARH1956
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ARH1956 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:53 am

Tokugawa wrote:Can you really go wrong?
I agree, also throw Shimano's Cumulus, Kistler's Z-Bones, Dobyns' Extremes, St. Croix, among others in the mix. It's hard to go wrong using with any of today's top rod manufacturers.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:23 am

I wish I could help, but so far my Zillion rod is the most sensitive rod I have. I guess I'll have more input when I receive my Megabass rod shipped Hi's, maybe I'll get a chance to use it this weekend.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:23 am

I've owned all that you've described. When it comes to sensitivity being your thing, the Steez isn't going to be your cup of tea. They're beautiful rods which are well built with some very intricate detailing/machining. Pretty much the same goes for the couple of Megabass rods that I've had. Just works of art and a joy to fish with. When it comes to just hammer down fishing and getting all of you can performance wise out of you rod, it's hard to argue with the Loomis' being at the top of the heap. They're sorta the Rat Rod of fishing.. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but they'll do what they're suppose to do and pretty much leave all others in the dust. I've owned well over 60-70 Loomis rods in my 40+ years and they are fantastic rods. I just ventured in a different direction searching for what I'm learning I already had with all of my old beat up Loomis' rods, except the word "Pretty". Now, I'll state that I presently own exactly Zero Loomis rods, and 2 Steez Compile-X's and a bunch of customs I built myself. Performance wise, your'e going to be hard pressed to top an NRX.... Just my 1/2 cent...
Pmedicbm

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:37 am

Pmedicbm wrote:I've owned all that you've described. When it comes to sensitivity being your thing, the Steez isn't going to be your cup of tea. They're beautiful rods which are well built with some very intricate detailing/machining. Pretty much the same goes for the couple of Megabass rods that I've had. Just works of art and a joy to fish with. When it comes to just hammer down fishing and getting all of you can performance wise out of you rod, it's hard to argue with the Loomis' being at the top of the heap. They're sorta the Rat Rod of fishing.. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but they'll do what they're suppose to do and pretty much leave all others in the dust. I've owned well over 60-70 Loomis rods in my 40+ years and they are fantastic rods. I just ventured in a different direction searching for what I'm learning I already had with all of my old beat up Loomis' rods, except the word "Pretty". Now, I'll state that I presently own exactly Zero Loomis rods, and 2 Steez Compile-X's and a bunch of customs I built myself. Performance wise, your'e going to be hard pressed to top an NRX.... Just my 1/2 cent...
I agree with this assessment. I have all three except my Loomis are all GLX. For pure fishability my GLX's rule in my boat. Like my Steez and MB very much, but they, in a football anology, are the wide receivers, and the Loomis are the linemen who ultimately get the big job done. :)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:47 am

I'm with you on that one Smalleyez.. I've spent a dang fortune trying to find better and it just hasn't been there. As much as I'd like my Compile-Xs to be as sensitive as my OLD Loomis, or the NRX I had, I just have to flat out say that it just isn't so... I don't think I was alone in my observations either, as Cal pretty much summed it up when he reviewed the Compile-X a few years/months back. I've owned all models of the Steez at one point in time, except the Flexlites, and they are rugged. Esp the SVS graphite models (but terrible sensitivity wise). The Megabass and the Steez rods are just works of art but performance wise the Loomis" just outshine them all..... I'll be back sooner or later... maybe..... :-k
Pmedicbm

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 am

I currently own a few Megabass and NRX rods, and have culled through a few Steez rods over time, but only the XBD frog rod remains in the lineup. I think that Pmedicbm sumed it up very nicely - thank you sir =D>

I will say that for me, there is an intangible joy in fishing with a work of art like some select Megabass, Gan Craft, Evergreen or other high end JDM rods. It's not because they're the lightest, most sensitive, best balanced, most bling or any of that - it's something else entirely and is difficult to explain.

All things considered, for day in and day out sensitivity and performance, Loomis rods are my #1 choice by a long shot.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:52 am

bronzefly wrote: I will say that for me, there is an intangible joy in fishing with a work of art like some select Megabass, Gan Craft, Evergreen or other high end JDM rods. It's not because they're the lightest, most sensitive, best balanced, most bling or any of that - it's something else entirely and is difficult to explain.

All things considered, for day in and day out sensitivity and performance, Loomis rods are my #1 choice by a long shot.
I know what you're saying about the "experience" factor and it somewhat transcends numbers and objective comparisons. I don't even own an upper end MB, but just the same mine is more than sensitive enough, and it's a rush using a beautifully crafted rod with a complimentary beautiful reel. Not your everyday grind-it-out setup, but so sweet to pull out now and then. It's similar to owning a fine SxS shotgun. There are better game harvesters, but none are quite like handling a fine SxS. 8-)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 pm

I don't know man...life is too short to fish with ugly gear. :lol: I find an excuse to take the White Python and the Z out every chance I get.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:37 pm

Guess that goes to show how subjective "sensitivity" is. In my hands, my Steez Compile-X spinning and casting rods are definitely more sensitive than my Loomis GLX rods. In fact, over the past two years, my Dobyns DX Extremes have completely replaced all of my GLX rods, but not the Compile-X rods.

Still working my way through various Megabass, Gan Craft and Evergreen rods on hand, so the "jury" is still out. But, I will concur, at this point, with with "bronzefly" about the intangibles of fishing with a "work of art" JDM rod.

After hearing and reading so much positive about the NRX rods, I have a NRX 893 on order. Looking forward to using it for bottom contact techniques that I currently use a DX742 or 743 for. Will initially pair it with a Aldebaran Mg7 spooled with Samuari braid and a FC topshot.

Doc

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:42 am

Tokugawa wrote:I don't know man...life is too short to fish with ugly gear. :lol: I find an excuse to take the White Python and the Z out every chance I get.
I guess that depends on what you define as ugly! I think my MBR GLX/TD-Z Type R+ w/corks are beautiful combos, and I also like the look my NRX/Core 51MG7 and really like the look of the NRX Chronarch 101D7 combos - to each their own of course 8-)
DrPerf wrote:Guess that goes to show how subjective "sensitivity" is. In my hands, my Steez Compile-X spinning and casting rods are definitely more sensitive than my Loomis GLX rods. In fact, over the past two years, my Dobyns DX Extremes have completely replaced all of my GLX rods, but not the Compile-X rods.
I agree with you that sensitivity is very subjective. I found the Dobyns DX and Compile-X rods clearly inferior to even the MBR GLX rods, much less the BCR GLX or NRX rods...
DrPerf wrote:
After hearing and reading so much positive about the NRX rods, I have a NRX 893 on order. Looking forward to using it for bottom contact techniques that I currently use a DX742 or 743 for. Will initially pair it with a Aldebaran Mg7 spooled with Samuari braid and a FC topshot.
Very nice! I have a Core 51MG7 on my 893 and have been playing with 30lb Samuari braid and a FC top shot lately instead of straight 12lb FC. Both have their advantages and disadvantages... I think you'll enjoy that combo 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:03 am

Tokugawa wrote:I don't know man...life is too short to fish with ugly gear. :lol: I find an excuse to take the White Python and the Z out every chance I get.
That arguement always blows me away. I could not care less what it looks like. I'm 100% about performance and sensitivity. It could be a neon green reel and a hot pink rod for all I care.

To each their own though, I guess.