Help Me Pick My First Finesse Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
gfabbri
Angler
Angler

Help Me Pick My First Finesse Rod

Post by gfabbri » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:04 am

Hi Everyone-

I’m looking to add a light-ish finesse rod to my 2-rod M & MH “arsenal” (ha ha) and am looking for something that will handle dropshots and lighter shakyheads (if I had to choose, I’d target dropshots more as my medium setup is workable for shakyheads…). I typically cast from docks or shore, and being up north, I'm not exactly catching hogs (yet)...

I’m not looking for the best rod out there, as I'm a pretty casual angler, but I don’t want a POS either. Hopefully this rod will hang around for a while.

Here are a bunch of rods more-or-less in my price range – for the higher-priced rods in the group, I would like a decent warranty if possible (haven’t researched those much, though).
  • Dobyns Savvy 702
    TFO Gary Loomis Signature Spin Rod 7' Med Lt
    G. Loomis GL2 6’10” Mag-Lt – at the high end of my budget, but it looks great…
    St. Croix Avid Spinning 6'9" Md Lt Xfast Dropshot
    Pinnacle Perfecta DHC5 7’ Med Lt
    Lamiglas Certified Pro XPS702
Any thoughts on these sticks or others I should consider?

Thanks,

G

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help Me Pick My First Finesse Rod

Post by spencerinstl » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:08 am

I have the finesse st croix LTB rod which is good for shakey head and drop shot, I did have the LTB drop shot which is an awesome drop shot rod. The avid version of this should be pretty nice also. The finesse rod, which they have an avid version of this rod too is a much more versital rod, where the drop shot would be better, at least in my opinion better just to get for just a drop shot rod. Another versatile finesse rod to consider would be the classic casting
cr 721 its great for casting to cover and around docks It can cast the light stuff but has enough backbone to get the fish into the boat.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

sofinesse
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sofinesse » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 am

I generally use spinning gear for finesse fishing :P, but I've been looking into baitcasting gear too. As for spinning gear I owned a Powell Max 704, that I used for mostly senkos, but also shaky head and drop shotting, some folks go with the 703 because the tip is a hair softer. I also have a Daiwa L&T spinning that I really like for dropshotting and shaky head fishing, I also use it for smaller top water baits, zara puppies, spook juniors, and poppers. You might also want to look at any of the cumara spinning rods while they're on sale. They range from 6'8-7'6 and range from M to MH power. If you're looking for a casting rod, get a kokanee rod, jk. The 7'6 ml cumara looks good for drop shotting, on the shimano site they suggest using it for smaller cranks, so it can double as a cranking rod.

Edit: oh yeah and shimano has a Life time warranty if that influences your decision.

gfabbri
Angler
Angler

Post by gfabbri » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks for the replies-- I guess I should have made it clear that I'm interested in spinning rods only for this application...

But it kinda seems like a 3 power rod might be better than a 2? (I have no idea -- I usually throw 3/16 DS weights and 1/8 shakeys, combined with 4-6" softbaits (flirt worms, cross tail shads, etc.)

So maybe like a 703 rod?

-G

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:25 pm

gfabbri wrote:Thanks for the replies-- I guess I should have made it clear that I'm interested in spinning rods only for this application...

But it kinda seems like a 3 power rod might be better than a 2? (I have no idea -- I usually throw 3/16 DS weights and 1/8 shakeys, combined with 4-6" softbaits (flirt worms, cross tail shads, etc.)

So maybe like a 703 rod?

-G
If you go with the Dobyns Savvy with those weights you want the 702 Spinning. Thats the best rod for those applications/weights listed above..
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

gfabbri
Angler
Angler

Post by gfabbri » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks TMike.

I'm kinda leaning toward the Savvy, but am open to any brand that will meet my needs. Folks around here seem to like the higher-end Dobyns rods; I'm kinda guessing that their quality trickles down into the Savvy.

At the same time, I know that there are a lot of good rods out there, so any advice is helpful.

Thanks,

G

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:56 pm

I think the action on dobyns 702 rods are perfect for those applications. the tip is limber enough to confidently fish 6lb test, yet im always surprised by the muscle and turning power in a finesse application rod.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:27 pm

I would also say go with the 702 for 1/8 and 3/16. I was considering a ss702sf before I bought a champ 702sf a bit ago (very happy with the rod btw). I own Savvy casting rods but no spinning. The casting rods are great and I have no complaints at the price range. I've heard mixed reviews about the spinning rods but I wouldn't let that stop you from buying one...they seem nice handling in stores IMO.

You may want to check out the new Crucial lineup in the same price range, I would take a Crucial over a GL2 (new or old). The dropshot rods seem like they would have the perfect action for a DS...may be a little light for shakey heads.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Here is the best factory built stick for what you are looking to do.Loomis Bronzeback smr811sp.Killer Dshot stick,and great for grubs,light tubes,shakey heads,light cranks,pop-r's
Look on Ebay........I am a custom buider,and still use this stick a TON!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:07 pm

goblue wrote:I think the action on dobyns 702 rods are perfect for those applications. the tip is limber enough to confidently fish 6lb test, yet im always surprised by the muscle and turning power in a finesse application rod.
Back when I got my first Dobyns spinning rod, a Champion 702S, I still had both the St Croix LTB Finesse & Dropshot rods. I really liked the tip of the Dropshot for finesse but wanted the more powerful butt of the Finesse. With the 702S, I was able to get the best of both.

I agree with the others assessment. The 2 power is the way to go for what you are talking about. The 3 power will be more rod than you need or, I think, want. A lot of guys use the 703SF for 'finesse' here on the Cal Delta. I am using the word finesse with tongue in cheek as our finesse setups are usually still considered pretty stout. :lol: For most of use around here, finesse means 5" senko & bubbashot with casting gear.

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adam ochoa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:52 am

Check out the Powell 712 Endurance. Its very balanced and light weight so you can really feel those light bites. The Powell 702 max is another great choice. They come with a lifetime warranty from a company thats been in business for over 100 years.

Tomhdez
Angler
Angler

Post by Tomhdez » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:34 pm

What about Falcon Bucoo 7" med? It feels a tad lighter than it's medium rating suggests.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:42 pm

If it was me, my first choice would be the new Phenix Recon PHX682S, Super Ballance, Toray T36 Carbon Fiber Blank, SiC guides, $159.00 MSRP, and way lighter than the others mentioned. If you cant wait till the end of august for it then i would say my next choice in your price range would be the St. Croix Avid, and my third choice, and yes im gonna say it, Better not get fired LOL would be the Dobyns Savvy!
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:12 am

Dobyns Savvy 702SF... The 2 power Savvy is such a versatile stick. Can handle the drop shot, shaky rigs, even lighter tube and worm duty if you like. I use mine a lot. I actually prefer the 692 though. I can't give you any reason, just a personal preference. I also have both the 703 and 693 spinning rods in the Savvy line (and countless casting sticks lol) and as was said earlier, that is probably gonna be a lot more rod than you want. Go with the Savvy 2 power and be happy
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 am

I just saw a G Loomis SJR 782 IMX for sale "cheap" somewhere. Great rod and on the light side of medium.