Tired of the new stuff

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Tired of the new stuff

Post by fishindrummer217 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:53 am

I for one am tired of all these new "cool" looking rods. To me most of the rods are cheap and made only to look cool and catch anglers. Companies are making more and more rods that look cool but have sub par blanks, balance and sensitivity. It seems this really started heavy in the past 2 years and now this year it has moved from the $100 rods to adding micro guides and the new split reel seats and jacking the prices up to $150-$200. I don't buy into any of these rods. Give me and basic looking rod that works great and has functionality any day over all this bull crap overpriced blingy rods.

rakuin79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Tired of the new stuff

Post by rakuin79 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Can anyone prove that the new "blingy" rods dont perform up to or above the level of rods in the past? I dont think so and this is a Business.....meaning the companies will build what will Sell. There are plenty of rod companies still making rods with ecs seats, full grips and normal guides such but they are going away because they dont sell. I personally like the new rods but can do without some of the colors and such but like I said before the rod companies have to make what will sell. There are also plenty of custom rod builders happy to male what you want. I have 2 Otterrod customs built exactly the way I wanted them so to me that is the best way to get what you want

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Give me and basic looking rod that works great and has functionality any day
look no farther than G. Loomis.

you won't find much 'bling' on their rods.

still cork grips (not cheap EVA foam)
no micro guides
hardly any split grips

and they perform better at a given price point than any of the other manufacturers rods (IMO).

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:11 am

This is an age old battle of aesthetic vs function. Some people are all function, some are all aesthetic, I for one like a balance of both. What delivers that for me are the Megabass and Daiwa rods. Aesthetics are subjective however, so one cannot say anything is better than another because of its aesthetics, in fact, I don't really think anybody can say objectively that any one rod is better than the other.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

Javelin379
Angler
Angler

Post by Javelin379 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Before I buy into these new rods,I give them some time to be out there and do my homework and read reviews on them!! Then make my choice based on those facts