best all purpose spinning rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
lmartinez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

best all purpose spinning rod

Post by lmartinez » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 pm

looking for a good all purpose spinning rod in the st croix line of rods any ifo would be great thanks len 8-)

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: best all purpose spinning rod

Post by SteveDB » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:35 am

The 6'-8" mxf in Avid, LTB and above depending upon your wallet. Makes a great all around plastics stick.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 am

SteveDB wrote:The 6'-8" mxf in Avid, LTB and above depending upon your wallet. Makes a great all around plastics stick.
Possibly the best rod in their lineup. =D>

lmartinez
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lmartinez » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 am

thanks for all the great info 8-) len

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:20 pm

lmartinez wrote:looking for a good all purpose spinning rod in the st croix line of rods any ifo would be great thanks len 8-)
Depends what you are fishing for, and where you are fishing.
If you are fishing mainly for laregmouths in and around heavier cover, the best all purpose rod will be different than the guy who is fishing for smallmouths in open water.

With that said, I have a St. Croix Legend Elite 70MF that would be a fine all around rod for a guy tackling bigger largemouths around cover. On the other hand, I have a custom St. Croix Xtreme 69MLXF that is my all around rod for river smallmouths. I also have an LTB 66MLF that is also a fine smallmouth rod.

The Avids with similar specs would probably fish about the same. Keep in mind that St. Croix rods tend to be slightly underrated when it comes to power. My MLF Croix's fish very close in power to my sons MF Crucial's and Cumara's. My LE70MF fished more like a "light" Medium Heavy.

Good luck.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 pm

Why limit yourself to one brand when your looking for and all purpose rod?

My suggestion and I say this with great pleasure is the http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/PWMS-1.jpg
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

sandycove
Angler
Angler

Post by sandycove » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:26 am

goldrod wrote:Why limit yourself to one brand when your looking for and all purpose rod?

My suggestion and I say this with great pleasure is the http://img.tacklewarehouse.com/new_product/PWMS-1.jpg

I actually just bought that rod.... It is ok but not what I was hoping for. It is considerably tip heavy which holds it back from being a great rod.

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Iowa Matt » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:38 am

I am a die-hard spinning rod/reel lover and IMHO, the best all around spinning rod I have ever had my hands on is the St. Croix LTB Dropshot. I know it says "Dropshot" on it, but trust me, its as versatile as your imagination! I use mine (I have two!) for dropshot, shakey heads, weightless plastics, jerkbaits up to 90 size, small (1/8oz) spinnerbaits, poppers, in-line spinners............and thats just for bass! Its also my primary walleye rod and my go-to whitebass/wiper rod. I have no idea how many spinning rods I have used in my life, but there isn't any doubt that this is the best one for all around use. I even have several St.. Croix LE series spinning rods........and like the LTB Dropshot better. If you like Shimano, the 6' 8" ML Cumara Contact is a very nice rod too!

One I caught yesterday on my favorite rod!

Matt

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:41 am

sandycove wrote: I actually just bought that rod.... It is ok but not what I was hoping for. It is considerably tip heavy which holds it back from being a great rod.
Funny you should say that. I was think about getting that rod for my son. I fished a similar Powell rod and felt that it was more tip heavy than I like. I think it's a combination of the short handle/grip and the down locking reel seat... doesn't get the reel located far enough forward to help balance the outfit.

I ended up get my son a Crucial. I liked how the rod/reel combo balanced out. He's very happy with it.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:48 am

Iowa Matt wrote:I am a die-hard spinning rod/reel lover and IMHO, the best all around spinning rod I have ever had my hands on is the St. Croix LTB Dropshot.
Matt
I hear ya Matt... love my custom XS69MLXF! :mrgreen: The St. Croix 69MLXF (in any of their models) may, or may not be the "best all purpose spinning rod", but I feel they are the best all purpose spinning rods in the St. Croix lineup.

BTW... nice bass! =D>