Which Powell Max for lipless cranks

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which Powell Max for lipless cranks

Post by RIK » Mon May 02, 2011 4:38 am

Anyone have insights on which Powell Max would work well for 1/2 oz rattle baits? Will be fishing around thick cabbage and coontail, and can't decide which would work best. I have a 754 Glass and love the thing, but don't know if I should get another glass rod like the 703 glass or if a graphite blank like the 704CB would be better for snapping the bait out of the grass.

Thanks in advance.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Which Powell Max for lipless cranks

Post by DavidSA » Mon May 02, 2011 8:30 am

Forget the crankbait rod stuff :lol: The powel 703cEF is a great 1/2oz lipless crankbait rod. If I was using it around vegitation though I'd go with a bit more powerful 704cEF. I don't want a super slow rod or underpowered around grass as i want a bit of pop.

I've got more moderate rods but the powel 703cef served me well many times.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:41 am

I was throwing Yo-Zuri Rattl'n Vibes the other day on my Endurance 726CB and was very impressed. You can feel everything and plenty of power.

Boods
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Boods » Tue May 03, 2011 2:43 am

I use the 706CB for this application. Like latrobe33 said in the previous post, the 726CB Endurance is also a very good rod for this ripping traps as well.

captainhookset
Angler
Angler

Post by captainhookset » Tue May 03, 2011 7:07 am

Nice to see someone else with the non-retired 754-CB GLASS. When I got the rod I absolutely loved it for 1oz Lil John deep divers, paired with an Abu Winch. But it was a one-trick pony.

However, it pissed me off that the rod just sat in the basement until July and August rolled around and I started deep cranking. This year I changed it up a bit. I took the rod out with me on opening day. My setups were a Powell 704CB for jerkbaits, a Abu Veritas 7' HVY/XFAST for jigs, a couple spinning rods, and my Powell 754 CB GLASS...for lipless cranks. I spooled the winch with 50lbd berkley fireline braid...and holy crap do I love this rod all over again!

I generally hate fishing flourocarbon, and prefer braid for pretty much everything except crankbaits/jerkbaits. But man, the 754 GLASS with braid is the most freaking awesome setup out there. I don't know what you pair your 754 with, but if you don't use braid, you need to try it asap. like ASAP.

I swear, the 754 GLASS with braid is a THOUSAND times more sensitive and responsive than any graphite rod I have used with braid. I can't explain it, but the feedback from the braid must do something to the properties of the glass because it is so damn responsive. When I was fishing flouro on the rod sometimes I couldn't even tell if the hooks fouled or if there was grass stuck in the hooks. Now, with braid, I can feel a female bass fart near my lipless crank.

Thats my two cents. Don't get a new rod. Yours already kicks ass.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed May 04, 2011 4:17 am

For fishing traps in weeds, I actually prefer using a fast action graphite rod over a crankbait rod. I normally use a Loomis 843 IMX, but I have used my powell 734 and it works great for ripping rattle baits. When the bait gets caught up in the weeds and you try to rip out with a glass rod, the rod absorbs too much and you don't get the snapping action from the bait. It's kind of just pulls out slowly. With the 734 (also don't forget the braid), when you move the rod, the bait moves, too. Snap the rod and the bait shoots out. Like DavidSA said, forget the crankbait rods!

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:54 am

754 CB Glass all the way. The 706 works well too.
robchik.com

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Wed May 04, 2011 6:26 am

I use the Powell spook/ Trap rod (705cb) with 30 lb. Power Pro for lipless in grass. The rod is glass but with the braid it has great sensitivity and plenty of power to pop it free from grass and move a big fish.

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adam ochoa » Wed May 04, 2011 7:13 am

The 753 glass is another good choice along with the 726cb. Im going to try my Powell deep cranking rod (Tackle Warehouse rod)in the near future. It's been great for everything i've thrown at it so far.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Thu May 05, 2011 5:14 am

Thanks for the info guys.

captain - love my 754. Have a CVZ-203A on it and love the combo. I hesitate to try braid though, because I don't like braid much for regular cranks, and fish extremely clear water (weedlines in 16-18 feet of water) besides. Plus I use it for other stuff (slow rolling spinnerbaits, smaller hard swimbaits) where I wouldn't want to use braid either. I'm just the opposite of you on the braid vs fluoro argument. Much prefer fluoro for cranking.

I kind of looked at the 705 spook/trap rod, but it might be more power than I need for 1/2 oz baits. I may look into the 753 too - if anyone ever gets them in stock. And if I don't like it for lipless with 14 or 17# fluoro, I can always use it as another cranking rod and try something else...cuz, you know, a guy can never have too many. Also kind of thought about using the 754 for traps and getting the deep cranking rod from TW.

Dilemma: can't decide which rod to use. Solution: buy more rods. It's the TT way... no sense fighting it :)

again, thanks for the opinions.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 am

That's the spirit RIK. :big grin: =D> =D> :big grin: