Punch Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Punch Rod

Post by FishBlock » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:41 am

Hi, I want to start punching mats for the big donkeys and was just wondering what would be a good punch rod to start out with. i've been looking at the powell max flipping 766h and the bub's irod punch rod. need help, thanks.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Punch Rod

Post by Somerdink » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:19 am

Whats your budget? There is a couple of rods that will punch mats really well. For the 169.99 The Dobyns Savvy 766 Flip works really well its a beast can handle up too 2 oz weights and it balances very well so you wont get tired holding it tip up all day. I personally like The Dobyns Champion 805 punch rod works awesome its light and you dont notice the length balances like all the other dobyns line up. The Champion 766 flip fits right in with the savvy as well both really stout rods and can handle punching mats all day. I dont have the experience on the other two rods that you have mentioned. I hope this helps

Ryan

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:42 am

If you are just going to punch occasionally, the two you mentioned would suffice. The drawback is they are tip heavy. If you really want to enjoy punching all day, get a light well balanced rod longer than 7'-6". I prefer 7'-11"- 8'. You`ll appreciate the extra length when it comes to moving one of those "big donkeys" in the slop. I `ve used several different ones and just purchased a Dobyns 805 and love the feel. It is a one piece (non-retractable) rod which reduces the weight.
I traded for a used Irod Bub Tosh and sold it without ever using it. While it does have good action, one piece and the right length, I was disappointed with the quality and weight. Again if you just want to have one on the boat to punch on occasion it would be fine at that price point. Wasn`t what I was hoping it was.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:30 am

Somerdink & Steve asked some good questions about how much you want to invest in this style of fishing. Will this be an occasional technique/use or will it be a go to technique?

Did you see this thread? http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=31392 Since the OP was asking about a Dobyns, most of the responses he got were on Dobyns rods.

I love the DX795 for punching. It isn't as beastly as the 805 Flip/Punch, but I like it better. Plenty of power. Sensitive, light & balanced.

FishBlock
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishBlock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:53 pm

thanks for the great advice guys...i will look into it.

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adam ochoa » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:41 am

The Powell 7105 or 775 Endurance are very sensitive and balanced. If you plan on using it for other techniques the 775 would be a good choice.