Cumulus MH Feels More like M??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Cumulus MH Feels More like M??

Post by white03 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:39 pm

Just got a Cumulus MH that has the action more like a Medium....or so it seems to me. Just seems like it is softer than other MH's I have. Anyone else have a Cumulus and sense the same thing? Not knocking the rod, it has a great feel and is super light and is an excellent rod :D

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Cumulus MH Feels More like M??

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:34 pm

That's pretty much the consensus on the Cumulus line of Rods from Shimano. Cumulus Rods would be good for Crank Bait and Lipless Cranks. To me, if technique is Trigger, I'd like to have the backbone of X-Fast tips - not the soft tips of the Cumulas. If you do a search for Cumulus there were some threads recently about these rods.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:22 am

I bought a 6'10MH model on clearence, only to resell it at a profit, and it was more like a ML rod!

That particular rod was missed by a MILE when it comes to labeling it as a MH power rod! :?

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:30 am

Yup, I believe it was a move by Shimano to make their rods appear very light on paper. Granted they are still very light rods, but just not spec'd correctly.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:32 am

blakjack23 wrote:Yup, I believe it was a move by Shimano to make their rods appear very light on paper. Granted they are still very light rods, but just not spec'd correctly.
Kinda like 12lb Yozuri Hybrid that breaks at 20lbs +, eh? Still love the line though! Marketing, gotta take it with a grain of salt.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 am

I have the 7'1". Feels about like a BCR 802 in hand but really fishes more like the BCR 803. Well maybe like a BCR 802.75 :lol:

Seriously though, the tip is softer than a BCR 803 but the 7'1" Cumulus rod does have plenty of backbone (on a par with the BCR 803).
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 am

You guys are talking me into trying an Cumulus. :cry:

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:33 am

I personally was very dissapointed when I saw the Cumulus line of rods. All the hype was just that. I wouldn't waste my money on a Cumulus rod knowing how well the Cumara's were made. The Cumara's are a better better rod at a much better price.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:57 am

big_gee wrote:I personally was very dissapointed when I saw the Cumulus line of rods. All the hype was just that. I wouldn't waste my money on a Cumulus rod knowing how well the Cumara's were made. The Cumara's are a better better rod at a much better price.
Agreed thats why I have 3 Cumara Rods. Now if you are talking finesse casting and don't mind spending over $300 for a very light rod, the Cumulus are perfect for that job. But when looking at overall rods out there in selection, there are some really good offerings from other rod manufacturers and even Shimano themselves for half that price.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**