Daiwa zillion.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
angler96
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa zillion.

Post by angler96 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Does anyone use the 7ft. XH Zillion rod for frog fishing? I'm looking to up grade my frog rod and was wondering how this would do. Anyone input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa zillion.

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

I am also planning to add this rod to my lineup and also the Zillion Flipping stick. The Zillion Line of Rods are actually very light compared to similar offerings from St. Croix, Gloomis, Shimano, Powell, etc.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:58 am

I've got the 7' heavy that's been used for frogs,works just great.The rod has plenty of back bone for the application.The XH may be overkill for the application.
Happiness is a sore thumb

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:57 am

africanbass wrote:I've got the 7' heavy that's been used for frogs,works just great.The rod has plenty of back bone for the application.The XH may be overkill for the application.
Depends on what he's trying to catch with the frog. On river systems.....you'd be surprised to haul in a lunker log of a Flathead Catfish. I've caught 6lbs+ Flatheads pulling frogs in 6-10 feet by weed beds or brushes next to a steep drop off of 20ft-30ft. My first thought because of a small splash....it was a 1lbs Largemouth or Silverbass...ofcourse until it took off. This has happend to me 3 times in one yr already and almost in the same type of area on river systems. Extra Heavy works really good against the pulling power of a flathead. :big grin: :big grin:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**