Steez Rods ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez Rods ?

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:20 am

those of you that have many Steez sticks and fished them for some years.

I'm wondering the durability of the Air Foam of the rods. Just wondering if after several years of usage is the airfoam going to rot, become brittle and is it easily cleaned. read some reviews of EVA and hyphalon with sun exposure its starts to become brittle.

any feedback as always is appreciated.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez Rods ?

Post by quickF4i » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:49 pm

i have the 6'7" and the 7'1" for about 3 years now, no problem with the air foam.. but then again only 3 years.

i usually just lightly spray the air foam handle areas when im done fishing with reel magic and then twist a towel around the handle to clean it.. it seems to keep the foam conditioned plus i think reel magic has a UV protectant.. no problems there.

i also keep the top portion wrapped with rodwrap for most of the season, that helps too.

i think if you maintained the rod like this it should last quite a while

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:07 pm

quickF4i wrote:i have the 6'7" and the 7'1" for about 3 years now, no problem with the air foam.. but then again only 3 years.

i usually just lightly spray the air foam handle areas when im done fishing with reel magic and then twist a towel around the handle to clean it.. it seems to keep the foam conditioned plus i think reel magic has a UV protectant.. no problems there.

i also keep the top portion wrapped with rodwrap for most of the season, that helps too.

i think if you maintained the rod like this it should last quite a while
thanx quick good idea with the reel magic. I getting rid of some gear and i'm considering purchasing a Steez XBD spin Braid rod. I guess its all good. 8-)
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:18 am

I had a Cumara that I really used and abused 2-3 times a week and the foam held up just fine, and I think the Steez rods use a better quality foam...???

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:23 am

My steez is likely 3 to 4 years old and is well kept. The foam is as good as day one.

In fact, the foam holds up better then my gloomis cork.

I also have a handfull of Airrus co-matrix rods that are now about 6 years old. No sign of dry rot and appear good as new. If they were to get brittle and rot, I'd expect that about year 10 or so.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:29 pm

I just bought a 7'1 H SVF Compile X the other day. I have a few cheaper rods with EVA foam and it does not compare to the quality of the Steez. That said I hope it lasts a good long time. Good to hear that others have had good success with them. Does the Reel Magic really work or is that just one person's thing?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:41 pm

I haven't had any issues with my older Cumara rod of 3yrs but my GLX (owned it for 2 yrs) Cork handle has chipped away a little - not bad yet but small chipping. So far the foam grip is holding up better. If the Steez Rods use better foam....it should even be better.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:03 am

I usually dont have any problems with my cork rods as I apply a small coat of cork sealer. For the pits in the cork i fill them up with sanded cork and wood glue, I sand a piece of cork with a very fine grit sandpaper, mix it with the glue and fill the pits once it dries I apply some cork sealer.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:50 am

i fish a lot, and the grips on my STZ741XHFBA-XBD do not show any signs of wear aside from dirt on the grips.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 am

Two of my Steez Compile-X rods are in their fourth year of constant fishing. They are with me on every outing, both tournament and fun fishing. The Air Foam grips are still almost like new.

Ever other trip or so, I wash them off with a gentle detergent, like Dawn. Love the feel of that type of grip.

Doc

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:10 am

I see an XBD spin in the near future!
Kenjutsu
(剣術)