Shipping Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
inbow
Angler
Angler

Shipping Rods

Post by inbow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:41 pm

What is the best way to ship rods if you are an individual seller. I read somewhere that PVC is good, but seems a heavy option. Is there a better option out there?

adam ochoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Shipping Rods

Post by adam ochoa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Im in the fresno area and I have PVC and cardboard tubes if you want a few. I've had great luck with both.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:51 pm

PVC is the way to go.. They do it by length not weight from what I've shipped..
Also a pipe insulation also is a great way to protect the rod and they cost a little more then a buck..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:07 pm

Nitroman77 wrote:PVC is the way to go.. They do it by length not weight from what I've shipped..
All the shipping services end up charging you 'dimensional weight'. As mentioned above, it is a higher weight than actual = more $$ than actual weight.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:06 pm

Nitroman77 wrote:PVC is the way to go.. They do it by length not weight from what I've shipped..
Also a pipe insulation also is a great way to protect the rod and they cost a little more then a buck..
agreed! PVC all the way. BTW I like the pipe insulation idea, never used it for that but always seem to have similar foam and buble wrap around in the past(I keep anything that looks useful from building supplies from work).

there was a thread over the winter about rods being broken by carriers. Sucks it's now lost. I had only 1 claim put in from the many rods I've sent/recieved over the years and that was from USPS(had tire marks on it, tube was PVC). They handled the claim well and I got full refund. From what I've heard UPS can be difficult w/ claims. Get the insurance!

BTW plaster it w/ "fragile", "do not bend", "hand sort only" etc. just to cover your A$$.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:09 am

I ship everything in PVC. To me, its not worth the risk to ship in a lesser container.

Don't worry about the weight. It really doesn't make any difference, at least with UPS. Its the long tube that drives the cost. I can ship a 5 pound or a 9 pound tube and the price is still the same. The foam core PVC is lighter and I use it when I can buy it.

The keys to shipping are to get the rod in the tube suspended in the middle of the tube so it can't slap side to side. It also can't slide end to end. It needs to be held stationary as the sudden stops from the tube getting tossed or dropped is where hidden damage will happen.

I also print a label and tape to the tube "Do Not Sort Across Belts". This is where tubes get destroyed...the automatic conveyors in sort facilities. I'm sure it gets ignored quite a bit, but its one thing I have on my side if I have to file a claim.

I ship 35 - 50 rods a year and have only had 3 claims since 2003. Every claim was paid.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

RStien321
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RStien321 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:52 am

I had one rod break from UPS. You have to be persistant and keep pushing. I shipped the rod in a PVC tube, and the tube was broken. UPS claimed the break was due to "insufficient packaging." After a little back and forth on pricing I was able to get the rod refunded. Always make sure to have good documentation with anything you ship so that you can claim the full value.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:14 pm

USPS is consistently $10-$15 cheaper when shipping rods when compared to UPS for me...

I use PVC also...its the strongest, most economical way of shipping rods...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:22 pm

If it is an expensive rod, I'd use PVC. The heavy cardboard tubes weigh as much as a PVC tube. A pound or two really doesn't make it cost that much more, it's the length that applies the surcharge.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 am

After reading all the horror stories of rods being broken by UPS and USPS, I will be taking a different approach when I ship a high end rod.

Most claims are initially denied by UPS stating that the items was improperly packed. So even if you use the heaviest gauge PVC pipe, foam insulation to wrap the rod so it's suspended and stationary, if the UPS driver decides he doesn't like the tube rolling around in his truck and turns it into a horseshoe, you'll may still have a fight on your hands with a claim. :doh: ](*,)

I will be taking my fishing rods to our UPS store (not a "pak and ship"..the real UPS store) and have them package it for me. Insure it for full retail including the shipping and packaging costs.

They use a triangle shaped box which will not roll in the truck (keeping driver frustration to a minimum). UPS cannot deny a claim for improperly packaged items if they package it.

I don't routinely send rods in the mail, but I think :-k taking this approach limits the aggravation if you have to make a claim for a damaged rod.

Just a thought..that may die of loneliness :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><