Stuck 2-Piece rod.......HELP!!!!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Stuck 2-Piece rod.......HELP!!!!

Post by Nickk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am

so I picked up a Clarus Steelhead rod on a lark last fall and over the winter I was moving crap around and decided that the rod would be safer if it was put together. So over the weekend I'm cleaning stuff up in the garage and figure that I should put it away properly and it's stuck and stuck big time! Any secret mojo involving heat or cold to get this apart?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stuck 2-Piece rod.......HELP!!!!

Post by civicrr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Here is how we get flyrods that have sat in the boat together too long apart. Make sure that you are in open/clear area. Rod behind knees parallel to the ground. Grip rod on both sides with hands on outside of knees. Bend legs like you're about to sit down. Push out with knees using leg muscles.

I like using a light coating of paraffin wax on the ferrules. Helps them grip without having to force them together on too tight. Also helps prevent them getting stuck. Only caveat is that you MUST make sure grit & dirt do not get stuck in the wax.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:05 pm

I never put any of my fly rods together without using paraffin on the male ferrule. It keeps them from locking and protects at the same time. Make sure you twist one end while pulling apart.
Rods & Reels Excite me!

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:45 pm

civivrr described well the hands-outside-the-knees method anglers have used for generations to cure this problem.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 pm

civicrr wrote:Here is how we get flyrods that have sat in the boat together too long apart. Make sure that you are in open/clear area. Rod behind knees parallel to the ground. Grip rod on both sides with hands on outside of knees. Bend legs like you're about to sit down. Push out with knees using leg muscles.

I like using a light coating of paraffin wax on the ferrules. Helps them grip without having to force them together on too tight. Also helps prevent them getting stuck. Only caveat is that you MUST make sure grit & dirt do not get stuck in the wax.
great tip! never thought about that. :idea:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

Nickk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Nickk » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:01 pm

tried behind the knees but no go. I got a couple blisters on my finger from twisting so I used a deflated exercise ball for grip and got it!

WOOT! I promptly waxed up the male piece with some St. Croix wax that came with one my fly rods....phew!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 pm

Wow that thing was stuck!!!!

Glad you got it :D

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:14 am

Cold.

Do not use heat.

Most say that cold shrinks things and heat expands things so you should use heat. But you really need to use cold. Yes, cold makes things shrink. But, we're dealing with tubes here, not solid rods. The material shrinks in on itself. The OD gets smaller and the ID gets larger at the same time.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:32 am

Taking advantage of all the experienced people here gathered, does anyone knows how to solve the same problem but in a telescopic flipping stick? :big grin:

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:48 am

First, don't try to pull it apart....

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:00 pm

My 8ft Steez is stuck as well.

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:12 am

If your rod is still stuck after trying the behind the knees method try this. Get help from 2 friends. Make sure you are in a wide ope area. Do the behind the knees thing and have each friend grasp one end of the rod outside where you are holding. All three coordinate your efforts and pull that sucker apart. Everyone must pull straight.

Only had one time where this was necessary but it worked when all other methods described, and some other methods, did not. Use parafin, it helps.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:33 am

backcast wrote:If your rod is still stuck after trying the behind the knees method try this. Get help from 2 friends. Make sure you are in a wide ope area. Do the behind the knees thing and have each friend grasp one end of the rod outside where you are holding. All three coordinate your efforts and pull that sucker apart. Everyone must pull straight.

Only had one time where this was necessary but it worked when all other methods described, and some other methods, did not. Use parafin, it helps.
mAN tHIS wOULD bE qUITE A vISUAL... :lol:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.