A bunch of low end or a few high end

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A bunch of low end or a few high end

Post by btune » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:03 am

As you see there are many opinions on this. It is an individual choice between function and price. I am old enough to remember that what we can buy now is much better than what was around years ago. I build my own so I use blank costs as the yardstick for my rods. I have blanks from $15 to $180 and more, they all work and do the job to some degree at least, the best blank for my use is not allways the most expensive. With so many choices it is difficult to say what is the best route and impossible to name a "best" rod because what I think is best is probably not what you think. With thousands of blanks to pick from no one will ever use more than a small percent. The fun is in the trying!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:52 am

Buck2thPerch wrote: You are correct. The Zillion Rods are XFast and are just as as good or close to the Steez. But the question is, do you really need a $500 rod for reaction? I think $150-$200 rods would do perfectly for reaction rods vs the XFast feel/sensativity rods. Me, I have Cumara Fast action rods for everything else besides cranks, while my zillion rods with the Xfast tips are for worms and jigs and where sensativity counts. I had a chance to get brandnew Steez Rods for $250 and declined it to get the Zillion rods (for less than $200 ofcourse). Just my opinion.
I'm talking about plastics & jig rods, not spinnerbaits & cranks. The 7' MH SVF & 7'1" H Comp-X are a slower action rod than the Zillions. If you dig x-fast rods (just not my thing)the Zillions are pretty slammin!

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:23 am

Brand new Compile-X or any ML steez for $250 and i would be all over it :D If you're talking about the 6'2-6'3 steez rods i saw at Ganders then no thanks.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:51 pm

If your a dragger go with high end rods. If your a winder go with medium priced rods. I do both and currently have 7 high end rods for jigs, worms, etc and 10 medium priced rods for moving baits.

bigfish85
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish85 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Remember the law of diminishing marginal returns. Going from a $40 Ugly Stick to a $250 IMX is an enormous step. Going from that same $250 Loomis to a $450 NRX isn't nearly the same. To me, the gains aren't as significant.

They'll all catch fish in the end.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:23 pm

USA-RET wrote:Ultimately, it really comes down to what you can afford and what makes you happy.
This says it all.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

bigfish85 wrote:Remember the law of diminishing marginal returns. Going from a $40 Ugly Stick to a $250 IMX is an enormous step. Going from that same $250 Loomis to a $450 NRX isn't nearly the same. To me, the gains aren't as significant.

My brother went from a Skeeter ZX225 to a Ranger Z520 and people with $10k Deep V boats give him crap all the time :lol: They all say in the end they all help you catch fish.

Its a perfect running '07 ZX225 with 225 HPDI and hes going to give it to me for $8k \:D/

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:55 pm

bigfish85 wrote:Remember the law of diminishing marginal returns. Going from a $40 Ugly Stick to a $250 IMX is an enormous step. Going from that same $250 Loomis to a $450 NRX isn't nearly the same. To me, the gains aren't as significant.
I remember when I finally convinced a buddy of mine to switch from an Ugly Sh*t to a Loomis MBR 783C IMX. The first time he tied a jig on that rod, he would set the hook every 10 seconds... thumping rocks! :lol:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Exactly my point.

And yes, Penn...I had at least 4-5 models of the Steez rod in both spinning and casting to choose from. Instead I opted for the Zillions. Just didn't find it worth the money.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 am

I prefer a few high end, versatile rods over a bunch of low end rods. First, it makes your decisions on what to take a lot easier. Two, you'll always enjoy fishing with them. Three, you'll actually use them more. If you buy a $100 rod and it sits because you have two other $120 rods you like better, then you've wasted $ on the rod that just sits.

Just my take...

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:34 am

Tokugawa wrote:I prefer a few high end, versatile rods over a bunch of low end rods. First, it makes your decisions on what to take a lot easier. Two, you'll always enjoy fishing with them. Three, you'll actually use them more. If you buy a $100 rod and it sits because you have two other $120 rods you like better, then you've wasted $ on the rod that just sits.

Just my take...
I agreed Tok. But not many can aford to get $500 rods. Plus the performance gains and differential is soo minimal between $240-$500 rods that I find it not worth it to spend almost double for minimal gains. And my rods get used but well cared for. I went from 15 rods in the $90-$180 range with 2-3 Loomis rods. Sold everything and bought new rods. So now I am down to just 8 new rods all are Cumaras and Zillions with one or two Crucials in the mix(Crucial flippin rod is the only one I kept its not tip heavy, excellent balance and my favorite for flippin). I spend more on my Reels. Planning to get two Type-R's if I can sell a couple of Curado 200E7's and or might sell one new Cumura just to get the Type-r's. Like you said, rather have 5-7 rods that are used constantly vs 15 rods and only use 1/3 of them. Money well spent IMO.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Birdi23nls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Birdi23nls » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:37 am

I vote for a few high end rods. I just seem to enjoy holding an awesome, light, well balanced, and senstive rod in my hands. are they worth $400 to $600...probably not, but you only live once :D
Jared

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:11 am

Put me in the few high end rods camp, too. I want to smile a little each time I one pick up. I'm at an age where I deserve it! :lol:
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

inbow
Angler
Angler

Post by inbow » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 am

I have always bought low end equipment. I decided a year ago to start slowly upgrading to higher end stuff and have not regretted it. I have decided on Dobyns rods (Savvy and Champion). It is just a much more enjoyable day on the water because of the lighter weight rods. I have to save longer to buy them, but it is worth it.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:36 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:Planning to get two Type-R's if I can sell a couple of Curado 200E7's and or might sell one new Cumura just to get the Type-r's.
Sounds like you are contradicting yourself. A brand new Smoke 100 cost $190 and a Brand new Type R is $600. Is the Type R 3x better than the Smoke? I don't think so. Don't say you can get a used Type R for cheap because you can get a used Smoke for cheap also. You want the Type R cause its rare and more fun to fish and same can be said with people buying high end rods too :lol: