A bunch of low end or a few high end

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: A bunch of low end or a few high end

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:24 pm

smalljaw wrote:I think $200 and below is great for reaction type baits, anything over that for that kind of rod is done simply for refinement and whether it is worth it or not is up to the user. I have 2 custom rods, also a GLX and an IMX and they are all "feel" rods and are used for plastics and jigs, I have several Superlight PTs, a Vendetta, and a Cabelas XML Ti for reaction style baits, the only Loomis rod I own for reaction baits is a JBR 753C jerkbait series and that was a little more than $200. If I was able to affor a Steez or an NRX I'd have one simply because I like the refinement and feel of high end sticks but I can make due with middle of the road.
I find the Shimano Crucial, Shimano Compre, Daiwa Light&Tough rods are perfect for Reaction, even the Crank bait rods are good. Planning on getting more Crucials or Light&Tough. All my Trigger Rods are Zillions, Cumaras, and above.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I was in your shoes not too long ago... I had a bunch of IMX's and GLX's, a Mossyback, and some Megabass rods and some powells. They were all paired with Curado B's/BSF's, Chronarch A's/SF/Mg, and Chronarch B's. I knew i wanted more rods, because i was fishing more tournaments and a lot of different applications. I hate re-tying. So in the end I sold all my other rods and went with Powell's because i get the most for my money and have newer shimanos. Cores, Mg7's, Albedarans', Curados. Wouldn't go back for anything. The GLX is a sweet rod. So is an IMX for that matter. Dont even get me started on how SICK Megabass rods are. In the end, I knew Powells would give me the most for my dollar in rods and allow me to upgrade my reels. They are a great, great rod; as are the other rods mentioned.

I dont think you'll go wrong with either route, but I just thought I'd share my experience with you. I havent looked back since.
robchik.com

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm not a owner of any of the real real expensive rods but I do own a Avid, and a Legend from St Croix. I'm a younger angler and fished the spinning rods that were $100 for the rod/reel for a few years and although I liked them I always wanted better rods. I sold 5 of my spinning rods and reels(all my stuff at the time) and bought two setups, a St Croix Avid series spinning rod paired with a Stradic 2500 FI($340 aprox) and a Legend Tournament 7'H with a Curado 200E7($400 aprox). They are not as high end as some stuff out there but I fished last summer with 2 rods, now I have the money to add 2 more Legend/Curado combo's to my collection for this summer. I (almost) have 4 awesome setups and could not be happier.

Buy the high end stuff and enjoy the quality.
mtfishing IG

fishindrummer217
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishindrummer217 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:52 pm

robchik04 wrote:I was in your shoes not too long ago... I had a bunch of IMX's and GLX's, a Mossyback, and some Megabass rods and some powells. They were all paired with Curado B's/BSF's, Chronarch A's/SF/Mg, and Chronarch B's. I knew i wanted more rods, because i was fishing more tournaments and a lot of different applications. I hate re-tying. So in the end I sold all my other rods and went with Powell's because i get the most for my money and have newer shimanos. Cores, Mg7's, Albedarans', Curados. Wouldn't go back for anything. The GLX is a sweet rod. So is an IMX for that matter. Dont even get me started on how SICK Megabass rods are. In the end, I knew Powells would give me the most for my dollar in rods and allow me to upgrade my reels. They are a great, great rod; as are the other rods mentioned.

I dont think you'll go wrong with either route, but I just thought I'd share my experience with you. I havent looked back since.
Thats very interesting that you went backwards where most people only go up. Would you say that you felt like your money was well spent when you purchased the expensive rods or do you feel that your money is better spent on a powell?

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:19 pm

quote]
Thats very interesting that you went backwards where most people only go up. Would you say that you felt like your money was well spent when you purchased the expensive rods or do you feel that your money is better spent on a powell?[/quote]

I'll chime in and answer your question if you don't mind because my situation is kind of similar.

A few years back I was fishing lots of expensive rods including St. Croix LTB, Lamiglas XMG 50's, and several customs built on St. Croix LE and Shikari SHX blanks. I decided to sell most of my "high" end stuff and put the money toward getting myself back into school.

Now I am fishing mostly Powell's with a couple of Fenwick's thrown in. I honestly do not feel like I am missing much. My more expensive rods were lighter, more sensitive, and better balanced than some of my current sticks. But I do not consider the difference to be worth the extra money. I'm not saying I wouldn't own a bunch of LE's and GLX if I had the money, but there's isn;t as much difference between the Powell and a nice St. Croix as you might think. At least not in my hands.

Like others have said, the difference between an Ugly Stick and a Powell is very noticeable. For me, the differences between a Powell and a nice custom are more subtle and less noticeable. Ultimately, I think I get more rod for every dollar spent in the $130-$180 price range than in the $350 range. Just my .02

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:50 pm

To each his own that works for him, no doubt. For me it's an easy choice, a few high ends is preferred. Getting rid of my Kistlers, Powells and carrot stix....going to Steez, Cumulus and NRX. Not a bad rod amoung them all, but for me I believe I can feel the difference. Just my 2 cents

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:55 am

I will continue to use quality rods before numbers of low cost rods, unless I start throwing the rods at the fish.

Charles