best Dobyns rod for jerkbaits?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

best Dobyns rod for jerkbaits?

Post by joejoe83 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:53 pm

looking to get everyones opinion on the best Dobyns rods for jerkbaits (mostly pointer 78's and vision 110's)

I was looking at the 704cb glass but I have never had or even held a glass rod before. The TT review made the rod sound great but still looking for some opinions.

Thanks!
Joe

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: best Dobyns rod for jerkbaits?

Post by vArm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:11 pm

I've never used a Dobyns CB Glass rod but here's a recent thread asking a semi similar question. "Any dobyns champion 685CB users"
MegabassUSA.com

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:34 pm

Seems to me that fisherman either like a medium power fast action rod or a med-med heavy crankbait rod. Since you asked about the 704CB Glass, am I correct in guessing your a crankbait guy?

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:47 pm

I absolutely love that rod.. Its one of those rods that when you get bit the suckers not going to get off. It is an absolute blast to fish and it feels like a feather paired with a Lews Tournament Pro Reel. I fish Pointer 78DD's, Bevy Shads, Pointer 78's no problem. I rigged a scrounger on it for a client and he caught over 30 fish and never lost a fish.
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:57 pm

civicrr wrote:Seems to me that fisherman either like a medium power fast action rod or a med-med heavy crankbait rod. Since you asked about the 704CB Glass, am I correct in guessing your a crankbait guy?

Not really a BIG crankbait guy mostly shallow square bills and traps, but I am a big jerkbait guy and kinda looking for a rod to pull double duty. ive been using a st croix premier 7' MH Mod crankbait rod for my vision 110's and would like a little stiffer tip.

How is the action of the 704cb glass vs. the 704cb? I noticed that the glass is listed as a Fast action while the 704 cb is Mod/Fast

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:26 pm

joejoe83 wrote: ive been using a st croix premier 7' MH Mod crankbait rod for my vision 110's and would like a little stiffer tip.
Given the above, you don't want the 704CB Glass. Not a bad rod, just don't think you'll be happy.
On my phone so quick answer now. I'll do a detailed one later.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:54 pm

joejoe83 wrote:

Not really a BIG crankbait guy mostly shallow square bills and traps, but I am a big jerkbait guy and kinda looking for a rod to pull double duty. ive been using a st croix premier 7' MH Mod crankbait rod for my vision 110's and would like a little stiffer tip.

How is the action of the 704cb glass vs. the 704cb? I noticed that the glass is listed as a Fast action while the 704 cb is Mod/Fast
Fishermen fall into one of two categories when it comes to jerkbaits. They either prefer a (lighter powered) fast action rod or a crankbait (mod/fast) rod. That was the question I was asking.

I started out with crankbait rods. Reading all the guys talk about 'fast' action rods, I decided to give it a try. Worked fine but I stuck with crankbait rods.

Crankbait rods

As you stated, the 704CB Glass is listed as having a fast action. Having fished it, I'd say it had a traditional glass rod feel. In other words, the tip is very soft & the rod action is (very) moderate. Personally, I don't like the 'traditional' glass action which is why I don't own one anymore. That last sentence is important as it tells you a lot about my choices in a cranking stick. BTW, this rod is the lighter powered cousin to the 705CBMF Glass. MF stands for moderate fast, when compared to the 705CB Glass fast action, in this case.

The 704CB definitely has a faster action vs the 704CB Glass. Not too fast - it is a crankbait rod with a mod/fast action & works very well. Basically, it is dynamite with most any lure from 1/4-1/2oz. It will work for more but that range is the sweet spot IMO. If all you asked about was the Pointer 78, the 704CB (or 684CB) would be the choice hands down.

BTW, I should probably say that I am working on the assumption that your Premier is one of the discontinued glass cranking rods since you say the tip is soft. In my experience, the graphite St Croix MH moderate (cranking) rods have fairly stiff tips.

If you want to stay with glass, I'd recommend the 705CB Glass (fast action version). This rod has a fast action for a glass rod. It is a great all around cranking stick. Almost feels like a 'regular' rod casting. When loaded up with a fish, you can see the goodness of glass come out. Absorbs the surges & almost seems transformed into more of a moderate action stick. I used it for cranking, topwater & jerkbaits. Jerkbaits I typically use are the LC Pointer 100, LC Slender Pointer 112 & Staysee 90. It will work very well for the Vision 110. The tip might be a little stiff for the Pointer 78.....

What I'd really recommend is a 705CB (graphite) cranking stick. What I like about this rod is more feedback than I can get with a glass rod. (Note that of the glass sticks I've used, the Dobyns had the best feel. They were 'muted' as opposed to 'dead'. To be fair, some of the other 'new' generation of glass sticks might also feel as nice. I don't know 'cuz I haven't tried 'em) It has a softer tip than the 705CB Glass but faster than the 705CBMF Glass. The rod transitions quickly to a nice powerful curve - for a crankbait specific stick. IMO, you want a soft tip so you don't overpower the jerkbait when a gentle touch is called for. That power curve comes into play when you need to really rip as the fish become more aggressive. All in all, a great all around cranking stick.

If you like shorter sticks, consider the 685CB. FYI, IMO, the tip is just a little bit stiffer on this rod.

fast action rod

As I mentioned earlier, I tried a couple fast action rods just to see what the 'other group' liked. I found the old review of the LTB Jerkbait stick interesting. After trying it briefly on my Champion 733, I bought a Champion 682C specifically to fish jerkbaits. Picked that model 'cuz the specs were pretty close to the LTB Jerkbait as well as rods other forum members have mentioned who like 'fast' rods. I actually found it a pleasure to fish the baits I mentioned above. The fast action made it feel snappy. I think the fast action works with the light, smallish trebles because I kept the drag a little light. Since the rod is medium power, the drag is lighter than could be set with a MH crankbait (mod/fast) action rod. Instead of the blank absorbing the surges, you have the lighter drag (slipping) doing it.

HTH. If you have follow up questions, post 'em up. :D

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:33 pm

I will tell you this. I talked to Gary at his recent seminar and asked him which one his rods would he recommend, and he said, "Champion 704CB." Its a great stick, I throw 110's and Pointers with no arm fatigue whatsoever.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:57 pm

civicrr summed it up pretty well on the 704glass. It's a softer rod than what I remember about the Croix you mentioned. I'm in the soft rod category as I have zero cover to worry about in my lakes. It bends a good bit down the blank as well before it loads up so the 705glass would fit your needs better based on your descriptions..
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 pm

zodiak311 wrote:I will tell you this. I talked to Gary at his recent seminar and asked him which one his rods would he recommend, and he said, "Champion 704CB." Its a great stick, I throw 110's and Pointers with no arm fatigue whatsoever.
It is a great stick. Personally, I don't like how much it loads with the Pointer 100 & Slender Pointer 112. I guess I just prefer the more powerful stick since I fish in the Delta more often than not.

badgerbass
Angler
Angler

Post by badgerbass » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:23 am

I throw a lot of jerkbaits, a lot, and love the 704cb graphite!! I have two, they also make a great pop 'r rod, and I spent 4 days in the Ozarks throwing square bills on them two weeks ago and thouight they were perfect.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:27 am

thanks for all the help guys! especially civicrr! Im prety sure the croix rod I have is the graphite version. I tried using a Dobyns DX702c for jerks but for me the long handle kept hitting my arm and was getting really annoying, and i felt it was a little underpowered for the vision 110's specifiacally. would any of the rods mentioned before have a little shorter handle? Also I think im going to stick to the graphite cranking rods.

Thanks again guys! keep it comming!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:28 am

joejoe83 wrote:I tried using a Dobyns DX702c for jerks but for me the long handle kept hitting my arm and was getting really annoying, and i felt it was a little underpowered for the vision 110's specifiacally.
The Champion 682C is more powerful than the DX702C.

The handles on the 6'8" crankbait rods (684CB & 685CB)are shorter than the DX702C by 1 1/2"
The handles on the 7' crankbait rods (704CB & 705CB) are shorter than the DX702C by 3/4"
* used the info from Tacklewarehouse page

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 am

im thinking about going with the 685cb. would that handle pointer 78's well? ill mostly be throwing vision 110's but ill ocasionally throw the 78's

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:35 am

i asked dobyns that specific question. for those baits, he recommends the 702cb (that's what he uses)