FENWICK???

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: FENWICK???

Post by bob75 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:45 am

I've several Fenwick HMX's and an Eagle casting rod. Like the rods.

Also have G Loomis and Shimano rods. My Shimano rods are lower end from Clarus to Crucial. My recently purchased Fenwick HMX 6'6" MH Fast casting rod seemed heavy in my hands after picking up my coomparable action Loomis. Weighed the Fenwick and it weighed in a little over 5 oz. The G Loomis IMX 6'6" MH Fast action weighed in an ounce less.

The extra ounce caused my mind to play games on me and I ended up returning the Fenwick.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:26 am

I have an HMX spinning rod. It's okay for the price but nothing great.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:16 am

I recently got my first one, an Elite Tech River Runner. So far I am very happy with it and have not noticed any of the fit and finish issues some have spoke of. The hidden handle with the TAC overlay is a winner.

Performance wise I am very impressed.

major601
Angler
Angler

Post by major601 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:07 pm

I have 3 Technas. 6'6" MF for mid-weight spinnerbaits. Stong enough to rip thru grass. 7' MH I use for frogs and smaller swimbaits like Skinney Dippers. 7'M is my all-around rod when I need just 1 for everything-including tex-rigged worms.Great rods for just about anything!!!!!

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:59 pm

bob75 wrote:I've several Fenwick HMX's and an Eagle casting rod. Like the rods.

Also have G Loomis and Shimano rods. My Shimano rods are lower end from Clarus to Crucial. My recently purchased Fenwick HMX 6'6" MH Fast casting rod seemed heavy in my hands after picking up my coomparable action Loomis. Weighed the Fenwick and it weighed in a little over 5 oz. The G Loomis IMX 6'6" MH Fast action weighed in an ounce less.

The extra ounce caused my mind to play games on me and I ended up returning the Fenwick.
With the significant difference in price between Fenwick HMX and Loomis IMX, should't it weigh significantly less?

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:23 am

bassbandit wrote:

With the significant difference in price between Fenwick HMX and Loomis IMX, should't it weigh significantly less?
I would expect the Fenwick to weigh more but not an ounce more. Particularly since the handles on both rods are full cork.

I've a old Rapala 6' 6" Tournament rod medium action which is significantly stiffer than my Loomis MBR 782 but a little shy of being as stiff as my 783 Loomis IMX 6'6" and it weighs in at 4.1 oz.--essentially the same as the loomis. My Shimano Compre 6'6" medium heavy power fast action weighs in at 4.6 oz, but it is a $100 dollar rod compared to the $80 HMX Fenwick.

My Shimano Clarus 6'6" Med. Heavy, fast action which is an $70 rod weighs in at 4.6 oz. And that rod is stiffer than my Loomis 783

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am

What do you think of Fenwick Elite Tech Spinning Rods ™ walleye EWS66M-F? How good is for jigging? Has quality components?
Until next time....Tight Lines!

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 pm

bob75 wrote:
bassbandit wrote:

I would expect the Fenwick to weigh more but not an ounce more. Particularly since the handles on both rods are full cork.

I've a old Rapala 6' 6" Tournament rod medium action which is significantly stiffer than my Loomis MBR 782 but a little shy of being as stiff as my 783 Loomis IMX 6'6" and it weighs in at 4.1 oz.--essentially the same as the loomis. My Shimano Compre 6'6" medium heavy power fast action weighs in at 4.6 oz, but it is a $100 dollar rod compared to the $80 HMX Fenwick.

My Shimano Clarus 6'6" Med. Heavy, fast action which is an $70 rod weighs in at 4.6 oz. And that rod is stiffer than my Loomis 783
Thanks for the other rod weights. I've not been able to handle any of the new HMX's so I can't really comment on how they feel in hand. Is the entire blank on them glossed like the HMG? That would certainly account for some of the weight, but probably not all of it.