Travel Rod Suggestions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Travel Rod Suggestions

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:09 am

I'm looking for a light trout rod in a travel series for backpacking. So far I've haven't been finding too many options. I'm leaning towards the Gloomis ETR84-3 LS 6 it's 7" 1/16-5/16 in a light action. It has the perfect specs but I'm wondering about the quality of the rod for the price. Has any one used this rod or one of it's brothers that can give some insight? I saw the review of an escape series UL but that was 3 years ago was wondering if anyone had any update impressions. Also are there any other good options for a middle to high end trout travel rod out there? Thanks
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Travel Rod Suggestions

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:30 pm

stress-what happens between fishing trips

jasonm2089
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jasonm2089 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Check out St. Croix they make some travel rods I'm pretty sure they make a 4piece even.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:36 am

Damiki makes a really nice 2 piece rod at a pretty nice price also. Cant speak for the quality, but I do own a dark angel one piece rod and am tickled to death with it.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:18 am

I've looked at the St Croix offerings but very briefly since they're only available in the Triumph and Avid series. I've owned both and while decent rods in their respective price points, I'm after something of a little higher quality.
Fishing... Fishing!

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm

The St. Croix travel rods are Triumph and Premier only, if you wanted better than SCII from St. Croix you'd ave to get a fly rod blank built as a spinning rod (people do this).

I use a 2pc 6' UL rod as my travel rod, and think a 2pc is almost as good as a 3 or 4 piece when it comes to handiness. I've never been in a car, bus, plane, bicycle, or taxi situation (yes I've taken a rod on all those vehicles) where I could not take a 3 foot rod case.

If you start to look at 2pc rods you can get about as nice as you'd ever want. St. Croix Avids and Legend Elites and G. Loomis classic or newer TSR rods in materials up to GLX.

If you gave me the money for a TSR862-2 GLX I can tell you I would find a way to take it anywhere. It would even fit at an angle in a big suitcase for air travel.

Head down under and you'd find the similarly rated SR842-2 GLX is one of the most coveted rods on the continent.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:11 am

do check out majorcraft offering on travel rod, they're quite prominent in the Day's and Slicer line of rods

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 am

I own the ETR84-3 MLS 10 in G. Loomis' s Escape line. It's a nice rod. I've used a bunch. While it's a little heavier than a typical ML (in weight), that's to be expected with a 3 piece rod. I've held the L action Escape too. It is just like the old SR842-3. Here is TT's review on that rod:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewloomissr872c.html

Another thing you could do is pick your favorite 1 piece stick and have it ferruled by a quality custom rod maker.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:10 pm

I ended up just going with the ETR84-3 LS 6. Was able to get one shipped for $240 so I figured what the heck I'll try it. I definately though about going 2pc TSR and just making a tube for it but I really wanted something in the 6'8-7'0 range. Broken down to 2pc thats just a big ass tube 40"+ for backpacking and kayak camping. I called up loomis and the escape rod tube is just under 31" which is much more managable. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Fishing... Fishing!

jamec
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by jamec » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:01 am

Wow! Scientists must be channeling our discussion as we speak. :roll: ;) 8-[