What's a good swimbait rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
aznevolution8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What's a good swimbait rod?

Post by aznevolution8 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:36 am

I'm looking into buying a swimbait rod. Do any of you guys have any recommendations? I'm going to be throwing lunker punkers, huddlestons, etc.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What's a good swimbait rod?

Post by civicrr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 am

Although I'm not a huge swimbait guy, I've been known to throw a few.

I like the Dobyns 795ML as an all around stick. Punkers, Crackers, Bullshads, 'huds, Toad Thrashers & MS Slammers. My interest was piqued by the TT.com review of the Gen 1 model. Switched from a different stick when the Gen 2 version first became available. Used a couple more but came back to it. One of those sticks that just feels right to me when I'm using it. :D

Check out the TT.com review. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdobynsm ... sbrod.html

I've also had good luck with both the GLoomis 955 & Zillion 7'4" models. If I were to rate them in terms of action from more moderate to fast I'd say GLoomis, Dobyns & Zillion. The differences are not night & day but they are definitely noticeable. Could just be that the Dobyns suits my style better ,but I seem to get a better conversion (bite to hook up) rate with the 795ML.

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:25 pm

I have a Dobyns 795ml and two of my other friends have a 806 and 807, so i have been able to use the whole swimbait rod selection from Dobyns.

I would recommend a 806 for you especially if you are planning on throwing any of the larger baits: 8in BBZ, 8" huds.

Here in So cal tho for getting striper in freshwater I've seen a lot of guys with the 807.

reelfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reelfish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 pm

Loomis 956.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:06 pm

Since lunker punkers come in sizes from 5" to almost 10" and hudds from the hudd shad all the way up to some 12" models, it would be easier to discuss the best rod if everyone knew which baits you want to throw! Obviously the best rod for a 5" molded punker isn't going to be the best rod for an 8" hudd...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm

You can't leave out the Okuma Guild Select swimbait rods. Good rod with the best value in price and performance. If you are just getting into swimbaiting, I suggest you buy one of the Okuma's.

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 am

I use the Shimano Crucial Swimbait Rods. They are 7'11" in length and have all 3 actions. They come in MH, H, XH and that covers all weights of the baits I throw.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 pm

I have a 795ML for 6" wooden Punkers and other lures in that weight range and love it. I've thrown 8" Hudd ROF 5 on it but I'd probably go 806ML for the 8" based on many recommendations. I have a Cumara 7'11" MH XF for throwing paddle tails up to 2oz and that is a sweet set up when you don't want your arms to fall off. I'm eventually getting an 806ML and 807 to cover the bigger stuff. Might also consider getting an LDC for the really big stuff (10" FreeStyle) when it comes time. Swimbaiting is no different then any other bass technique, there's a rod for every lure and there's 4" to 16" lures for swimbaiting. Need to first determine the lures being thrown and then get the appropriate rod for them, otherwise, it's not going to be a pleasant experience. A day of throwing 12" baits on a small rod will make anyone give up the big stuff.