Medium light baitcaster help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
the186element
Angler
Angler

Medium light baitcaster help

Post by the186element » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:10 am

What is your favorite medium light baitcaster setup and why.Looking for a
setup for smallmouth this season.Thanks in advance.

186 Don

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Medium light baitcaster help

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:15 am

I have the LTB 8'8 drop shot and its a fun rod but it will be the last ML casting rod I buy, I just dont feel confident in it , I would rather use a medium or MH for smallies

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:39 pm

This rod used to be a GLoomis spinning rod, GLX BSR802. Rated for 6-10 pound line, 1/8 to 1/4 oz lures. I removed the recoil guides and the finish, and the reel seat. I split and reshaped the cork (I might replace it later), added a Minima reel seat and Fuji Alconite micro guides. With the yellow Pixy the rod/reel combo weighs in around 9 oz. It is a great rod for tubes, small craws and creatures on a jighead, etc. The rod is super sensitive, light and powerful. Its been a great river smallmouth rod for me.

mheber
Angler
Angler

Post by mheber » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Image
This rod used to be a GLoomis spinning rod, GLX BSR802. Rated for 6-10 pound line, 1/8 to 1/4 oz lures. I removed the recoil guides and the finish, and the reel seat. I split and reshaped the cork (I might replace it later), added a Minima reel seat and Fuji Alconite micro guides. With the yellow Pixy the rod/reel combo weighs in around 9 oz. It is a great rod for tubes, small craws and creatures on a jighead, etc. The rod is super sensitive, light and powerful. Its been a great river smallmouth rod for me.
thats is such a sick set up :shock:

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:01 pm

mheber wrote:
thats is such a sick set up :shock:
I was thinking the same thing! Reel Old Geezer you ought to be ashamed of yourself having something so darn nice! [-X
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:41 pm

I did the same thing as ROG, but with a Core 51Mg.
I split gripped the handle removed the foregrip had it Micro Spiral wrapped and added a dropshot hook holder.
The BCR802 GLX is no joke of a rod!

But I just realized you converted a Spinning rod to a Baitcaster ROG.......very interesting!
Looks GREAT! How does it perform?
MegabassUSA.com

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:17 pm

what a beauty...

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:18 am

I have a Daiwa Pixy on a customSt Croix Avid ML rod and it's just awesome.

Dug

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:10 am

Golly, It's nice to know that you youngsters appreciate what an old geezer can achieve. I'm glad you like the rod.
But I just realized you converted a Spinning rod to a Baitcaster ROG.......very interesting!
Looks GREAT! How does it perform?
This rod/reel is a pleasure to fish. I just could not get excited about it in its original incarnation by Loomis, and decided to remake the rod as I would like to have it. I believe Loomis makes wonderful graphite blanks, but the components and workmanship in their finished rods are not what I like. As an example the filler under the reel seat (and I really dislike their spinning reel seats) was masking tape. And the cork doesn't seem to be the quality that should be on a $350 rod. Thus, you remake the rod as you'd like it. And now I think I've got a very nice light baitcasting rod for hauling those river smallies.

reelblues
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by reelblues » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 am

What are you looking to throw, cranks, plastics, etc? The Croix LTB Dropshot makes an excellent small to medium crank rod, as well as a drop shot rod. Not enough backbone for plastics, IMO.
"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after"
Thoreau

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:13 am

Pixy and Graphite leader Bosco.

Inexpensive, well made and nicely appointed JDM rod with good sensitivity and balance. Two piece for easy transport and versatile enough to cover most applications. Scale down your baits and it's a good all around performer.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/prod ... 622ml.html

Of course, your results may vary :D
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:27 am

I have several that I'll mention (in no particular order):

1. Dobyns DX702C with tuned Sol.

2. Daiko Burroughs BRSC-64L with Conquest 50S.

3. Megabass Destroyer F0-60X Elese with Pixzilla (more light than medium-light).

4. Evergreen Steed (it's much lighter than its rating) with a Pixzilla.

5. GLoomis CR721 with Pixy.

None of these are "collector's items" and I'll take any of them fishing. I really like using all of them but my absolute favorite would be the Daiko/Conquest combo.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 am

I'll add two more to Marc's excellent list:

6. Dobyns DX701C with Curado 51E (some might find it a little light on power but I think it has plenty for most situations).

7. Otterods Custom built on a St Croix 5S66MLF blank with Conquest 51.

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 pm

My current favorite Ml combo is:

Dx702 with PX68

Light combo:

DX701 with either a Conquest 50s or Pixy ( a lot of fun to use).

Mundo

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:44 pm

mhood wrote:
None of these are "collector's items" and I'll take any of them fishing. I really like using all of them but my absolute favorite would be the Daiko/Conquest combo.
That's the one I like best on your list.

=P~
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)