Medium light baitcaster help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Medium light baitcaster help

Post by RGMatt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:08 pm

IMHO the best way to go is w a custom built on a spinning rod blank. I currently have 1 built on a SJ781, 1 on a 700L phenix UMBX, and 1 on a 5S66MLF. All have there place for me but my favorite is the 5S66MLF. The phenix is the most sensitive though.

Mid range I've had an Avid 69MLXF, but I tend to like this blank better as a spinning rod and IMO it's on the heavier side of a ML.

I also have/had some more budget minded L-ML rods, most were St Croixs. A few that have stood out are:

the SC PC60MLF2 this would have to be my alltime favorite in this category, more on the lighter side of ML

The SC tidemaster 66MLM (not currently made but a similar model in 7' is I believe) , fishes like a Mod.fast rod.

and the PC76MLM, this rod stood out as the hands down worst ML casting rod I've ever tried, a real buggy whip w the softest action I've ever used, flexed to the handle, it loaded funny it was so slow.

Captain Chaos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Captain Chaos » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm

Abu Garcia Fantasista 64ML with a Pixy .. Love it! .. A Lot!
"It's In...Oh My God...It's In"
McLovin, Superbad

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Evergreen and MB Pagani for me :D

big tom
Angler
Angler

Post by big tom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 am

I just bought a DX 742 for the same purpose and was pleasantly surprised to find it has plenty backbone with a really
sensitive tip section... silky smooth rod! I am going to put an Accurist on this rod.
LUV TO FISH!
http://northwoodsadventures.org