kistler repair

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
TacklemanTybs
Angler
Angler

kistler repair

Post by TacklemanTybs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:47 am

I lost an insert on one guide and one guide bent and had to bent back to straight. Also epoxy is bad on a few guides. Anyone know the costs of a complete repair on all the guides from Kistler? or should I get it done by a custom rod builder instead.

Im trying to spiral wrap mircro guides if possible

ah_long
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: kistler repair

Post by ah_long » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:37 am

have u tried calling kistler and see what they say?

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:03 am

easiest way to repair a kistler rod, go outside and throw it in the thrash..lol. Sorry had a bad exp with them and not a fan..but if you email them they are pretty quick about getting back to you, might not hear what you want but atleast they do have a quick turnaround to customer inquires. :lol:
You must unlearn what you have learned

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:42 am

Kistler will replace all the guides if you wish. Call for a price and take into account the cost of shipping. I wouldn't hesitate using a custom rod builder if you have someone local and like there work.

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:46 pm

I must say the "hate for Kistler" is getting a bit old. There have been problems with many brands. Call Kistler.. they have a program in place to put new micros on your old Kistler rod for like $90 ...
I bleed Orange and Blue.... Go Gators!

TacklemanTybs
Angler
Angler

Post by TacklemanTybs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:12 pm

jtrotter wrote:I must say the "hate for Kistler" is getting a bit old. There have been problems with many brands. Call Kistler.. they have a program in place to put new micros on your old Kistler rod for like $90 ...
thanks, I am waiting to hear back from them now...I wasnt trying to bash them or start a bashing thread, I love my kistlers just wanted to get one re-guided so I can use it with more confidence. Thanks for the ballpark guess on the price. I remember hearing they were around that price as well.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:01 pm

This should give you some idea:
From Kistler site on the build your own zbone online the prices are - $30.00 to $120.00 for conventional guides and $50.00 to $150.00 for micro guides. I remember getting an email recently from Kistler stating that they would replace guides on any Kistler rod with micro guides for $90.00 or $100.00. You could probably get this deal but rember, you will pay at least $30.00 for shipping. I dealt with Kistler once about a broken rod and they were quick to respond and fair with my replacement in my opinion.

gundog
Angler
Angler

Post by gundog » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 pm

I just got 2 Z-bones with the spiral wrapped micros and let me tell u sweet. I would send that rod in for the micros

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:20 am

jtrotter wrote:I must say the "hate for Kistler" is getting a bit old. There have been problems with many brands. Call Kistler.. they have a program in place to put new micros on your old Kistler rod for like $90 ...
It will never go away. My "mission" is to stomp on every Kistler thread related to customer service.

TacklemanTybs
Angler
Angler

Post by TacklemanTybs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:56 am

just heard back from kistler in just a few hours, they had the price I expected. thanks for all the help guys. Looks like Im getting my first spiral wrapped micro rod :big grin:

artiea
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by artiea » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:30 am

First off i am not a kisler hater. I have 8 or 10 that I use-sometimes. When I saw the offer for micro guides for $90 I thought I would give it a try. Sent 4 rods and paid $50 for "valet" service six weeks ago. Got a call from kistler on 3-4-11 saying that the person stripping the guides on 2 rods ruined them and they would send free replacements to be sent to me the following week. Last Friday I get another call, now it seemed 2 rods broke when they stress tested them. Now I am told I can wait another month for replacements or I can get z bone for $200. Sounded Like a good deal and I was tired of waiting. Rods arrived yesterday, good deal not! Seems I paid $90 each for the privilegde of having my rods broke, ruined or whatever happened to them. My invoice from Kistler was over $600! Just saying.

meach
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by meach » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:06 am

wow now that is a horror story.....i dont get how some customers rave about the service and then there is people like myself and artiea who have gotten the shaft, im not going to lie i really did enjoy my rod (LTA) before it had to be warrantied, i was sent a model that was a step down (Mag) and still shelled out $70 for the warranty and like artiea i waited about 6 weeks before finally getting a replacement in my hands. Like I said earlier, customer service is good at getting back to you but its not music to your ears. You know the old saying make one customer happy he tells one friend, you upset a customer they tell all there friends, maybe thats why the "hate" continues
You must unlearn what you have learned

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:43 am

artiea wrote:First off i am not a kisler hater. I have 8 or 10 that I use-sometimes. When I saw the offer for micro guides for $90 I thought I would give it a try. Sent 4 rods and paid $50 for "valet" service six weeks ago. Got a call from kistler on 3-4-11 saying that the person stripping the guides on 2 rods ruined them and they would send free replacements to be sent to me the following week. Last Friday I get another call, now it seemed 2 rods broke when they stress tested them. Now I am told I can wait another month for replacements or I can get z bone for $200. Sounded Like a good deal and I was tired of waiting. Rods arrived yesterday, good deal not! Seems I paid $90 each for the privilegde of having my rods broke, ruined or whatever happened to them. My invoice from Kistler was over $600! Just saying.
OMG how can they be in business treating their customers this way. If a dealership was offering to repair worn brakes for (let's say $150) and in doing so accidentally ruined a caliper, I would expect them to fix it as new for only the original cost of $150 and they would eat the difference, rightfully so. I would take them to court for anything less. The saying is they don't want to pay to make it right - sometimes you have to make them!
Rods & Reels Excite me!

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 am

artiea wrote:First off i am not a kisler hater. I have 8 or 10 that I use-sometimes. When I saw the offer for micro guides for $90 I thought I would give it a try. Sent 4 rods and paid $50 for "valet" service six weeks ago. Got a call from kistler on 3-4-11 saying that the person stripping the guides on 2 rods ruined them and they would send free replacements to be sent to me the following week. Last Friday I get another call, now it seemed 2 rods broke when they stress tested them. Now I am told I can wait another month for replacements or I can get z bone for $200. Sounded Like a good deal and I was tired of waiting. Rods arrived yesterday, good deal not! Seems I paid $90 each for the privilegde of having my rods broke, ruined or whatever happened to them. My invoice from Kistler was over $600! Just saying.
So how many rods did you get back?

They broke all 4?

invoice was for $600 on top of the $90ea. ?

Is the $50 "valet" service shipping to and from?

SteveDB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SteveDB » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:32 am

meach wrote:wow now that is a horror story.....i dont get how some customers rave about the service and then there is people like myself and artiea who have gotten the shaft, im not going to lie i really did enjoy my rod (LTA) before it had to be warrantied, i was sent a model that was a step down (Mag) and still shelled out $70 for the warranty and like artiea i waited about 6 weeks before finally getting a replacement in my hands. Like I said earlier, customer service is good at getting back to you but its not music to your ears. You know the old saying make one customer happy he tells one friend, you upset a customer they tell all there friends, maybe thats why the "hate" continues
And there are those that want the "hate" to go away. Service like the poor guy above got will continue if y`all keep buying into Trey`s crap.